MMA-UFC 2016 UFC Champions Predictions

Apr 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
With the bump to the 2015 one a while ago, I thought I'd start one for 2016. Maybe we can do a bit better this year. Okay, probably not. :p

Pick the UFC champion in all the divisions at the end of 2016.

Current Champions:

Men:
Heavyweight: Fabrício Werdum
Light Heavyweight: Daniel Cormier
Middleweight: Luke Rockhold
Welterweight: Robbie Lawler
Lightweight: Rafael dos Anjos
Featherweight: Conor McGregor
Bantamweight: T.J. Dillashaw
Flyweight: Demetrious Johnson

Women:
Bantamweight: Holly Holm
Strawweight: Joanna Jędrzejczyk

Apr 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
2015 had lots of title changes. What's in store for 2016? Who knows? I've ended up picking most champions to keep their titles (7/10). So there'll probably be even more title changes next year. :p

Men:

HW: Fabrício Werdum - I think Werdum beats Velasquez again. Then it'd be Overeem or the winner of Miocic/Arlovski probably. It's hard to to be certain of anything at HW, but I'll just say Werdum keeps the belt throughout 2016.

LHW: Jon Jones - He could move up to HW before the end of 2016, but I'll say he's still at LHW or at least still the LHW champion by the end of 2016. Beats Cormier and maybe Rumble too.

MW: Luke Rockhold - Romero might be next or Belfort. I think Rockhold beats both of them. I think he'd beat Weidman again. I think he'd beat Jacare again too. Have to go Rockhold then.

WW: Demian Maia - I think it's probably really unlikely that Lawler's still the champion at the end of 2016 given how close he has come to losing all the title fights he's been in so far. I think Lawler beats Condit. Maia beats someone near the top of the division then gets a title shot and beats Lawler. I was initially going to say Lawler, but as I said I find it hard to see him keeping the title for too much longer and I've also picked most champions to retain their titles. I don't think this one is all that likely, but oh well.

LW: Rafael dos Anjos - Possible challengers next year include Ferguson, Nurmagomedov and McGregor. I think RDA beats Ferguson and McGregor. Hard to say how a rematch with Nurmagomedov would go after Nurmagomedov's layoff. I think RDA might win given his improvements and all the time out of action for Nurmagomedov.

FeW: José Aldo - Tough to say with the uncertainty surrounding what McGregor is going to do. This one's probably more using my heart than my head. I guess if I want to use my head I'd say McGregor eventually relinquishes the title and goes up to LW full time. Or Aldo wins an eventual rematch as hard as it is to imagine right now. McGregor is the safer pick here and makes the most sense, but partly I've picked someone who's not a current champion because like I said with the WW pick, I've picked almost all the current champions to hold their titles until the end of 2016.

BW: T.J. Dillashaw - I think he beats Cruz. Not sure who would be next after that. Maybe Sterling or Almeida get a title shot in 2016 and they're probably not quite ready for it. Now I remember that Faber will probably get the next title shot. Have to go with Dillashaw for sure.

FlW: Demetrious Johnson - Only name that comes to mind as a challenger for his title is Cejudo. I think he beats him and then I've got no idea who would be next.

Women:

BW: Holly Holm - Seems like the UFC want to keep Holm out of action until UFC 200, even though she wants to fight before then. I think UFC will get what they want with Holm fighting next at UFC 200 against Rousey. Holm wins again. Holm could fight 1 or 2 more times before the end of 2016. She could probably lose to a few of the fighters near the top of the division, but I'll say she is still the champion at the end of 2016.

SW: Joanna Jędrzejczyk - I could be completely wrong but the only fighter I see having a good chance of beating her is Gadelha. I think Jędrzejczyk wins that fight more convincingly in a rematch. And she might win another fight before the end of 2016.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Men:
Will be him or Stipe i think, could see that going either way. HW is so thin and so hard to pick.

Light Heavyweight: Jon Jones
The GOAT returns and takes his title back. I think this will be a tougher fight (with DC) than most think.

I love Rockhold, could honestly see Romero beating him just cause hes so god damn big and wins weird fights (i still dont think he beat Jacare) also could see Weidman beating him. Watched that fight the other day and Weidman was winning rd 3 until the stupid spinning back kick and Rockhold was fading too.

Welterweight: Carlos Condit
This is probably the most open division, once Condit gets his shot i dont even know who he would fight. If its R-Mac i think Rory takes the belt but then Hendricks (what happened to him?) Woodley, Maia, Brown, Kim so many guys who probably get the next shot with a win. Carlos is my feel good story.

Does Conor go up? If so i think he could be champ but ill side with Dos Anjos keeping the belt.

As above, Conor wont lose here so its on him whether he goes up and vacates, or goes up and keep the belt or whatever the Notorious wants to do.

Teeeeeeeeejaaaaaaaay! beats Cruz then beats someone who shouldnt even be in the cage with the champ

Second best P4P fighter behind Bones. Who cares who he fights.

Women:
If she fights Ronda any time in the next 12 months its probably the same result. Then give Meisha a shot and Meisha will be become the new Urijah Faber

Joanna wins whoever she fights until Thug Rose progresses enough to sub her with a flying gogoplata or some ridiculous made up sub.

May 9, 2013
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal,Redsox,Celtics
With the bump to the 2015 one a while ago, I thought I'd start one for 2016. Maybe we can do a bit better this year. Okay, probably not. :p

Pick the UFC champion in all the divisions at the end of 2016.

Current Champions:

Men:
Welterweight: Robbie Lawler

Women:

Men:
Heavyweight: Jon Jones
Welterweight: Damian Mia
Featherweight: Frankie Edgar

Women:
Strawweight: Claudia Gadelha

Option A:
Men:
Heavyweight: Miocic
Light Heavyweight: Jones
Middleweight: Rockhold
Welterweight: Condit
Lightweight: Pettis
Featherweight: Edgar
Bantamweight: Cruz

Women:
Bantamweight: Tate
Strawweight: Jędrzejczyk

Option B (not sure if srs):
Men:
Heavyweight: Jones - wins back LHW in August then gets an immediate HW shot and fights in December to win the title.
Light Heavyweight: Cormier - fights for vacated title at years end after losing it mid year.
Middleweight: Silva - beats Bisping and Belfort then wins the title from Romero.
Welterweight: Woodley - Condit beats Lawler and he takes the title from Condit. GSP to be his first title defence early 2017.
Lightweight: Nurmagomedov - gets fit to fight RDA and wins then doesn't fight again in 2016.
Featherweight: Edgar - beats Conor and defends against him and Aldo.
Bantamweight: Faber - If TJ defends against Cruz he beats TJ.

Women:
Bantamweight: Holm
Strawweight: Jędrzejczyk

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland
Well, it'll be hard for me to go worse than last year... pretty sure 0 of my original picks came through (only my revised pick of Dillashaw when Cruz got hurt again came through). For anyone yet to select, you can safely rule out the following options:

Heavyweight - Miocic. I think he beats Arlovski and either gets next shot at Werdum or beats the winner of the Werdum/Overeem fight that would be the alternative. He and Werdum would be an amazing fight.

Light Heavyweight - Jones. If he stays injury free, I think he beats Cormier more convincingly than last time. A fight with either Johnson or Bader would likely be next and shouldn't pose too many problems. If he goes up to heavyweight, I see Cormier keeping the belt as he's the clear #2 in the division.

Middleweight - Rockhold. I can't see a middleweight I'd favour over hiim right now. His striking is extremely good and his ground game is deadly. I think Weideman could do better next time (if he leaves the spinning s**t at home), but I don't see him beating Luke.

Welterweight -Woodley. I think we'll see a new champ at UFC 195. Condit will likely use kicks and movement to stay out of punching range with Robbie and either catch him with a fight changin elbow coming in with an elbow when Lawler gets desperate or chop his legs out from under him. Woodley then gets next shot and uses his wrestling to grind out a decision over Condit.

Lightweight - Nurmagomedov. I think he's the best 155er in the sport and if he can get healthy he takes the belt. If he can't, I think RDA has shown enough improvement to reign through another couple of title defenses.

Featherweight - Edgar. The division is so murky right now it's nearly impossible to predict what will happen. McGregor could move to 155 permanantly, he could move there temporarily and defend his title late next year, or he could stay at 145 and defend against either Aldo, Edgar or Holloway. Whatever eventuates, I don't think they can deny Frankie another shot at the title and I think he's good enough to win it.

Bantamweight - Cruz. I think he beats Dillashaw to prove again that he's the baddest man at 135. As phantom13 mentioned, there aren't a lot of seasoned contenders waiting for a crack at this belt, so he likely retains it against someone who isn't quite ready for a title shot.

Flyweight - Johnson. I picked against him last year, I won't be doing that again any time soon. Quite possibly the best pound for pound in the world right now.

Women's Bantamweight - Holm. Her performance against Ronda left no doubt in my mind that she's a step above the rest of the competition. I think she beats Ronda in the rematch likely at UFC 200 and beats one of Tate, Zingano or Nunes late next year.

Women's Strawweight - Jędrzejczyk. Dominant champ in a developing division likely means we're not going to see the title change hands anytime soon. Her stand up looks leagues ahead of the next best in the weight class and her take down defense is good enough to keep fights standing. I think she wins a decision over Gadelha and beats Rose later next year.

Ive got Connor. He will be champ, just dont know of which division. If the odds are good enough i would have some money on him to have both titles at some stage on 2016
He is the only one the UFC would allow to hold two titles without forcing him to vacate one.

But I think he'll be without a title come the end of 2016.

Men:
Heavyweight: Cain Valesquez - still the most complete HW
Light Heavyweight: Rumble Johnson - going to shock the world in rematch with Cormier
Middleweight: Anderson Silva - the time off will have him so fit he will tear Bispings heads off. Rockhold will get a standup lesson.
Welterweight: Hendricks - the forgotten man of MMA. Schooled GSP and will retake the title after health issue layoff.
Lightweight: Rafael dos Anjos - will smash McGregor who will have moved up to LW.
Featherweight: Jose Aldo - will win rematch with McGregor
Bantamweight: T.J. Dillashaw - honestly know FA about this division.
Flyweight: Demetrious Johnson - too good.

Women:
Bantamweight: Rousey - will work on her takedowns against Holm and submit her by armbar
Strawweight: Joanna Jędrzejczyk - honestly know sweet FA about this division too.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 2, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Men:
Heavyweight: Mark Hunt
Light Heavyweight: Anthony Perosh
Middleweight: Robert Whittaker
Welterweight: Hector Lombard
Lightweight: Jake Matthews
Featherweight: Dan Hooker
Bantamweight: Vacant
Flyweight: Richard Vaculik

Women:
Strawweight: Alex Chambers

Men:
Heavyweight: Fabricio Werdum
Light Heavyweight: Jon Jones
Welterweight: Carlos Condit
Bantamweight: Dominick Cruz

Women:

bkozican

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2011
W.A
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Heavyweight: Cain - Wins the rematch against Werdum via ok
Light Heavyweight: Jon Jones - Wins against DC at UFC 200
Middleweight: Weidman - Wins the rematch
Welterweight: Condit - Takes it this weekend and beats Hendricks later on in the year.
Lightweight: Rafael dos Anjos - Keeps the belt and KO's Connor if that fight happens.
Featherweight: Conor McGregor - The Aldo rematch will happen sometime and I see Conor winning again.
Bantamweight: Cruz - Wins against TJ and then sits out the year ;-)
Flyweight: Demetrious Johnson - Will still be champ come this time next year.

Women:
Bantamweight: Holly Holm - Don't think Ronda wins the rematch!
Strawweight: Joanna Jędrzejczyk - Still a few years above the division.

Got 5 titles changing next year

daicosdemis

All Australian
Jul 5, 2011
Ascot Vale
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
AEK,Chelsea fc
Men:
Heavyweight: I'm picking Cain for the rematch but this could not be any closer. Andrei would be a great story but no way does his chin hold up.
Light Heavyweight: Jon Jones is for me the ATG and will be regaining his rightful place. Anthony Johnson his biggest threat.
Middleweight: Luke Rockhold might have a slight psychological advantage after the first fight with Weidman in an otherwise dead even rematch. Romero has no gas tank and Jacare not good enough with his striking.

Welterweight: Robbie Lawler. Love him, what a warrior.
Lightweight: Rafael dos Anjos I consider the biggest certainty to still be champ come 2017.
Featherweight: I think Frankie might just derail McGregor. Just can't see Frankie getting KOed, which leaves him scoring more take downs and landing more strikes than Connor.

Bantamweight: TJ. Surely Cruz not at his best after such a horror run with injuries and Sterling looks like he might not be in the UFC for much longer.
Flyweight: Demetrious Johnson, no competition.

Women:
Bantamweight: Holly Holm will end Rousey as a fighter as I am pretty sure Ronda's psyche will not be able to take a second loss. Amanda Nunes a big threat.
Strawweight: Joanna Jędrzejczyk - just call her Joanna Champion !!!

Apr 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
Men:
Heavyweight: Mark Hunt
Light Heavyweight: Anthony Perosh
Middleweight: Robert Whittaker
Welterweight: Hector Lombard
Lightweight: Jake Matthews
Featherweight: Dan Hooker
Flyweight: Richard Vaculik

Women:
Strawweight: Alex Chambers
This one cracked me up. Saw Mark Hunt and thought he's not the most likely to be holding the HW title at the end of next year, but it could happen. Then I saw Perosh and realised what this was :D

Dignan

All Australian
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
76ers
HW - Werdum, unless Jones comes up. Just can't match him athletically.
LHW - Jones, or Cormier if Jones goes up. Think DC still beats Johnson.
MW - Rockhold.
WW - I like the Maia selection of a few, really enjoyed his last fight. Him or Condit I guess.
LW - RDA v McGregor should be a good fight if it works out that way. RDA for me.
FeW - McGregor if he hangs around in the division, if not Aldo.
BW - TJ.
FW - Johnson.

BW - I'm not quite as convinced as some on Holm. I think Rousey can win a rematch, depending on how well she prepares.
SW - Jedrzejczyk.

d-mac3276

Premiership Player
Mar 8, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon,Storm,La Lakers
HW- Cain Velasquez (Jones if he comes up)
LHW- Jon Jones (Cormier if Jones moves up, clear number 2 for mine)
MW- Luke Rockhold (he and Weidman the clear 2, but I'll go with the new champ)
WW- Rory MacDonald (might just be his time, always looked a champion in the making)
LW- Khabib Nurmagomedov (if he can actually stay healthy)
FW- Conor McGregor (if he stays there)
BW- TJ Dillashaw (just too impressive to go past)
FLW- Demetrious Johnson (you just don't beat him, enough said)
WBW- Holly Holm (nobody will beat her standing up)
WSW- Claudia Gadelha (still think she won the first fight with JJ)

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I don't think Miocic is quite good enough to beat Velasquez or Werdum. And he'd almost certainly need to beat one of them to become champion this year. We'll see. He's got to get past Arlovski first, which I think he will.

I probably agree but at heavyweight no one is a certainty, Miocic could easily clip one of them if he gets a shot (which it looks like he will) and at $13 i like the bet.

I know it's already into the year and having Connor already booked for the LW title this is sorta cheating but buggar it!

Men:
Heavyweight: Stipe Miocic, I can see Jon jones going up and winning this towards the end of the year but I reckon it will be early next year.

Light Heavyweight: Jon jones, Cormier doesn't stand a chance.

Middleweight: Luke Rockhold. Weidman is the only threat and I can't see that happening.

Welterweight: Tyrone Woodley, not a great match up for lawler, but Woodley will probably gas after round 3. should be another crackin fight! Condit deserves the rematch and even if he gets it I'd back lawler. Condit fought the near perfect fight (and won IMO), so I struggle to see where he can make big improvements. Robbies knows what's coming and can be better prepared.

Lightweight: Connor McGregor, break out the red panties! he predicts deez tings!

Featherweight: Frankie Edgar. this is a doozy, I can see Connor defending it once and then vacating it and staying LW champion. the weight will be too much of an issue and with all the money fights at LW there will be no point in Connor going down again. I say Frankie Edgar after an Edgar v Aldo fight for the vacated title.

Bantamweight: Dominic Cruz, this is a heart, not head prediction. the man deserves it.

Flyweight: Henry Ceudo. I like his chances of getting inside and getting takedowns.

Women:
Bantamweight: Holly Holm, too good.

Strawweight: Joanna Jędrzejczyk, what a ******* killer!!

Last edited:

ezravine

Draftee
Nov 10, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I can see the potential with Joanna Jędrzejczyk, and hoping for her to level up to the next division someday.
Holm and Rousey was a mismatch, however I still looking forward for a rematch.

Mar 12, 2008
Rehab
AFL Club
Essendon
Heavyweight: Cain Velasquez.

I don't think that what Werdum did was a fluke and I think that he's an amazing fight and would be happy for him to remain the champ. What a guy to be the UFC champ. The issue that I go back to is how un Cain-like Velasquez looked in his first fight. The last time he looked that bad he was finished on the first Fox card by JDS because he was carrying an injury. Fully fit Cain doesn't gas like he did, moon level factor included. Being that he doesn't fight a lot, he might only fight the once or twice this year. As good as Stipe is, and he is good, he isn't a full time pro like he really should be at this level. I don't see him beating the top two.

Light Heavyweight: Jones.

No one has much on him inside the octagon. While I'm not convinced that Jones is power lifting "natural", I am convinced that he is focused. Take a moment to pray for the 205 division if this is factual.

Middleweight: Rockhold.

Aside from loving the guy (his fighting style), I can only see Weidman beating him. Vitor Drugfort loss aside, he hasn't lost in years. Weidman could be the guy to get his belt back, but the rest of the division is a long way from the top 2, much like the 205'ers.

Welterweight: Hendricks

I can't stand the guy but he is a tough match up for anyone in the division. His losses to GSP and Lawler were close and to wrestlers. I'd love to pick Rory but he won't have enough time to get a shot in 2016 and Condit won't get a rematch. Hendricks will find a way to fight for the belt again and he won't be easy to beat. As an outside chance, I could see Benson Henderson getting a crack late 2016 or early 2017.

Lightweight: Tony Ferguson

RDA is going to be hard to dethrone, and McGregor isn't an easy fight, but if El Cucuy gets a shot then he is hard to match up on. His striking is reasonable, his chin is good, he mixes things up and likes pressure, and his submission game is on point. Khabib Alphabetov and Khabib Alphabetov are two guys that I think could destroy Ferguson, but I think that he matches up well with the rest of the top 5. He needs to avoid being hit as often though.

Featherweight: Conor McGregor:

I don't see him getting the title at 55, but at 45 he will be hard to beat.

Bantamweight: Cruz

I think that he beats TJ and either has an easy fight for him after that or doesn't fight again in 2016.

Flyweight: DJ

I think that DJ is so far ahead of his weight class that no one will get near him. I enjoy watching his fights and I hope that he keeps his belt.

Womans Strawweight: JJ

I think that Thug Rose can hang with her, but her heart is stronger. I think that she will be around for a little bit.

Womens Bantamweight: Holm.

This will be a fun year for the womens 135. I think that Tate, Zingano or Rousey could all wear the belt at some stage, but I'll back the champ to remain on top.

Back