2016 US Presidential Election - Trump vs Clinton? - Part 1

Who will win the election??

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to put forward a candidate for the Libertarian party.

71df15e20a6483c020090586f7ccfa9c_h.jpg

While I could see Sanders running, in my view it would largely be an attempt to pull the debate leftward and give airtime to lefty issues. I don't see Sanders really having a snowball's chance in hell (which is disappointing because I personally like his politics). Grayson I like too, but again, I don't see him as a contender.

Of the three, Warren is the one who strikes me as being the most credible contender. I still don't think she'll run. If she did, there's no doubt the gravitational field would change. She could invigorate the liberal/lefty segment of the Democratic electorate in a way Clinton couldn't (or won't).

But even with Warren in the field Hillary would be a red-hot favourite IMO. You would see Clinton run a much smarter campaign that she did against Obama, who outwitted the Clinton camp by cleaning up delegates in small state after small state.

My take, anyway.

Elizabeth Warren would almost make Nancy Pelosi seem in touch with reality.

TARP not quite as bad as Obamacare but not far off.

Hard to see Hilary not getting it surely?

Surely Hillary would run for the Democrats. If she wants it, she'll get it. Not sure about her running mate though.

For the GOP, I think a Christie/Rubio ticket is their best chance. However, I reckon Rand Paul will be heavily favoured. Unsure whether he would appeal to the undecided voters.

At this stage, the Democrats would win with that, although if Obama's popularity continues to slide, it could end up being close.

The 2016 election is still a long time away still but Chris Christie is currently in the middle of a scandal over his office closing down a lane of traffic in a revengeful act against Mayor's for not endorsing him.

Boston: Allegations that New Jersey governor Chris Christie – or his allies – had lanes onto one of the world’s busiest bridges closed in an act of petty political revenge have edged closer to home with the release of a series of emails.
Mr Christie has now been called to testify before a state committee hearing about the closures.
Allegations surfaced last year that Mr Christie or his office directed the Port Authority to close lanes from the town of Fort Lee onto the George Washington Bridge to punish the town’s Democratic mayor, Mark Sokolich, who had refused to endorse him in last year’s New Jersey gubernatorial election.

The most damning of the emails are the most simple. On August 28 last year, one of Mr Christie’s chiefs of staff, Bridget Kelly, emailed David Wildstein, a political appointee to the Port Authority with the power to order the lane closures, saying: “Time for some traffic problems in Fort Lee.”
A minute later, Mr Wildstein replied with two words: “Got it.”
A fortnight after that, on the first day of the new school year, access lanes from Fort Lee onto the George Washington Bridge, which carries 102 million vehicles between New Jersey and New York City each year, were closed without notice to police or other emergency services, causing gridlock and hours of delays in Fort Lee daily for almost a week.
The closures led to the delay of emergency crews responding to four medical situations, a local paper has revealed. In one case a 91-year-old woman lay unconscious as an ambulance was caught in traffic, according to a letter written by Emergency Medical Services coordinator Paul Favia, obtained by New Jersey newspaper The Record. The woman later died, though it is not said that her death was caused by the delay.

When the lanes shut and his town was struck by an endless traffic jam, Mr Sokolich contacted the office of Bill Baroni, the deputy executive director of the Port Authority and another Christie appointee. A staffer there emailed Mr Baroni, telling him that the mayor had emailed about an “urgent matter of public safety in Fort Lee".
According to the emails that have been uncovered during an inquiry into the scandal, Mr Wildstein then instructed staff not to address the mayor’s concerns.
“Radio silence. His name comes right after Mayor Fulop,” wrote Mr Wildstein. This is allegedly a reference to Jersey City mayor Steven Fulop, who had also refused to endorse Mr Christie.
Other text messages to emerge show Mr Wildstein and another person whose name has been redacted appearing to sfellow at the plight of those caught by the traffic chaos, particularly the school children.
“Is it wrong that I’m smiling,” the recipient of a text message responds to Mr Wildstein in one exchange.
“No,” Wildstein wrote in response.
“I feel badly about the kids,” the person replied to Mr Wildstein. “I guess.”
“They are the children of Buono voters,” Mr Wildstein wrote, referring to Barbara Buono, the Democratic candidate Mr Christie defeated in the gubernatorial election.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/emails-...dock-over-bridge-closures-20140109-hv7vi.html

The 2016 election is still a long time away still but Chris Christie is currently in the middle of a scandal over his office closing down a lane of traffic in a revengeful act against Mayor's for not endorsing him.
Christie seems to behave like a textbook psychopath. He is very well known in the US for his tendency to engage in almost delusional self aggrandizement and as a chronic bullshitter. The fact his staffers and that Christie himself, seem to think it's a good idea to upload youtube clips of him screaming at voters, is telling. That and his tendency to engage in vindictive acts of political revenge behind closed doors, doesn't bode well.

He isn't a fiscal conservative in the mode of Ted Cruz, more a neo-con, similar to Bush. Beating up on teachers unions etc. has worked well in NJ, but won't work well nationally, especially when he pulls stunts like costing the state and taxpayers millions of dollars to snag an earlier election date that would lead to a greater majority, just for the personal political mileage with federal repubs.

60690.jpg
Christie won't win the Republican ticket, his health or rather lack there of will count against him massively. Given that there is a chance he won't make it to the primaries alive. The US electorate want a President who embodies many of the things they want to be, rather than the things that they are.

Gov. Chris Christie faces federal investigation over Sandy recovery ads featuring his family during re-election campaign

The Republican governor is facing charges that he improperly used hurricane relief money to create a $4.7 million ad campaign that featured his family during his bid for a second term.

Chris Christie now faces a federal investigation into whether he improperly used Hurricane Sandy relief aid to pay for tourism ads that featured his family when he was running for reelection.
The probe is the latest bit of bad news for the New Jersey governor, who fired a top staffer last Wednesday for instigating a lane closure on the George Washington Bridge in September to punish the mayor of Fort Lee, N.J., Democrat Mark Sokolich, for not supporting Christie's reelection bid.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...-investigation-sandy-tv-ads-article-1.1577778

If true then this could do long lasting political damage to his hopes of running for President.

A few interesting comments lately re the new mayor in New York appealing to the left and how that may cause issues for Hillary.

Smart thinking by her to resign and to avoid the stench of Obama's healthcare trainwreck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley is moving ahead with preparations for a possible presidential bid and said in an interview that if he’s going to lay the groundwork for a national campaign, he can’t wait for Hillary Rodham Clinton to decide whether she is running.

In some of his most extensive comments to date on his aspirations, O’Malley (D) said he has been meeting with foreign- and domestic-policy experts privately to flesh out his thinking about “a better way forward for our country.” And he said that he would make a good president “for these times especially.”

“I have a great deal of respect for Hillary Clinton,” O’Malley said. “But for my own part, I have a responsibility to prepare and to address the things that I feel a responsibility to address. . . . To squander this important period of preparation because of horse-race concerns and handicapping concerns is just not a very productive use of energy. . . . Right now, I’m going to keep doing what I’m doing — the thought work and the preparation work.”

At the moment, the governor is stuck in an awkward position. He clearly wants to run for the White House in 2016 but probably won’t, several close associates say, if Clinton runs.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...2fb132-8a85-11e3-833c-33098f9e5267_story.html

Having such a front runner who is favorite to win the nomination such as Clinton does bring negatives of having potential candidates taking the wait and see approach but it does seem one Dem Governor is already starting to prepare to run.

Clinton is polling strongly.

If Hillary Clinton were to run for president in 2016 and win her party’s nomination, a majority of registered voters nationally would support Clinton, regardless of her Republican opponent. Her closest competitor is Paul Ryan who Clinton leads by single digits. Clinton has a similar lead when up against former Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney.

“Voters are still a long way from making choices,” says Dr. Lee M. Miringoff, Director of The Marist College Institute for Public Opinion. “But, right now, Clinton is in a league of her own.”

Among registered voters nationally, here is how Hillary Clinton fares against potential Republican candidates:
• Clinton -- 52% -- leads Paul Ryan -- 44% -- by 8 percentage points. Four percent are undecided. When McClatchy-Marist last reported this question in December, Clinton received 56% to 40% for Ryan. Four percent, at that time, were undecided.
• Clinton -- 53% -- is also ahead of Romney -- 44% -- by single digits. Three percent are undecided.
• Against Mike Huckabee, Clinton opens up a double-digit lead. Here, 55% of voters are for Clinton compared with 41% for Huckabee. Four percent are undecided.
• Clinton -- 56% -- has a seventeen percentage point advantage over Ted Cruz --
39%. Five percent are undecided. In December, Clinton received 57% to 35% for Cruz. Seven percent, at that time, were undecided.
• Clinton also outpaces Jeb Bush by 20 percentage points. 58% of voters nationally support Clinton compared with 38% for Bush. Four percent are undecided. In December, Clinton had 53% while Bush received 41%. Six percent, then, were undecided.
• When matched against Rand Paul, Clinton leads by 20 percentage points. A majority -- 58% -- supports Clinton compared with 38% for Paul. Four percent are undecided. In that previous McClatchy-Marist survey, 55% backed Clinton while 40% were for Paul. Five percent were undecided.
• Against Chris Christie, Clinton -- 58% -- outdistances Christie -- 37% -- by 21 percentage points. Six percent are undecided. When this question was reported in January, 50% of voters were for Clinton while 37% were for Christie. 12% were undecided.
• Nearly six in ten voters -- 58% -- support Clinton compared with 37% for Marco Rubio. Four percent are undecided. In December, 52% backed Clinton while 42% supported Rubio. Five percent were undecided.
• Against Sarah Palin, Clinton receives 62% to 35% for Palin. Three percent are undecided. Two months ago, 59% were behind Clinton compared with 36% for Palin. Four percent were undecided.

http://maristpoll.marist.edu/wp-con... McClatchy_Marist Poll Release and Tables.pdf

Surely the Republicans wouldn't even consider Jeb Bush? I have read that he's the best in the family, but that name is tainted.

Is there anything aside from the NJ traffic jam to cause a slide in Christie's popularity. Last time I looked (albeit a few months ago) he was the favourite.

Surely the Republicans wouldn't even consider Jeb Bush? I have read that he's the best in the family, but that name is tainted.

Watch out for George P Bush in 10 years as well.

I really don't like these political dynasties America seem to love. The Kennedys, Bushs, Clintons it just seems unhealthy.

It's bad enough having entrenched members of Congress and the Senate who have been there for a lifetime. There are 14 members of congress who have been there for over 37 years including one who is retiring after over 58 years in office! 24 members who are over 70 years of age including 2 who are in their 80s.
The problems with Senators getting committee chairs based on how long they've served opens up problems with lobbyists and favours to contributors to campaigns and the general problem of corruption like with Charles Rangel.

The 2014 mid-term elections will tell us a lot about who will be the ones to watch out for (and to back) come the 2016 Presidential elections.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Republicans need to reinvent themselves to get into power and do anything meaningful with it. So many campaigns in recent years have centred on stuff like gay marriage, whilst ignoring the important stuff like the economy. The Democrats are no angels, but they're a lot better at public relations right now (which is key to attracting voters).

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-10/us-republican-praises-tony-abbott/5309338

A former United States Republican presidential candidate says his party could learn lessons from Tony Abbott's election victory.

Former senator Rick Santorum says Mr Abbott was able to win government while sticking to his right-wing Catholic principles.....

The former senator described Mr Abbott as a "hardliner" who was also a good communicator and that Republicans needed to learn those lessons.

It is an indictment on the Republicans if they see Abbott as a good communicator.

After what I thought would be a fantastic reversal of malevolent U.S foreign policy with the election of Barack Obama turned out to be a bucket of sloppily deep-fried dog s**t, you know what?

It doesn't matter who wins. Many masks, same old face on it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back