FTA-TV 2017 AFL Broadcast rights

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 7, 2009
Bull Creek WA
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Real Madrid, Man City, GS Warriors
Discuss the 2017 Broadcast rights and which networks should be involved here. Looks like the AFL will fetch a $2 billion broadcast rights deal with 7, 10 and Foxtel with Telstra the online rights early in the new year.

The package I'd expect to see

Regular season
TEN- Thursday night, Saturday arvo and Saturday night simulcast in HD on ONE, live into all markets
7- Friday Night and Sunday arvo games as above simulcast in HD on 7mate, live into all markets
Foxtel- Every game live and ad-break free on Fox Footy with 5 exclusive games.
Matches involving Sydney, GWS, Port, Crows, Eagles, Suns, Lions and Dockers to replace network host broadcasters and televised live into their respective states and not on a 30-minute delay.

Finals
Seven and Ten to broadcast every game with the Brownlow Medal and Grand Final swapping each year during the TV rights deal, live
Foxtel to show every Finals game up to the Grand Final, including the Brownlow Medal.
All Finals and Grand Final must be broadcast in HD on One/7mate.

No mention of HD when they announced the last TV rights for FTA was the reason why we didn't see the past three Grand Finals in full HD. This would be a deal in which the fans will win. Live FTA games and of course, HD footy at last.

Regular season
TEN- Thursday night, Saturday arvo and Saturday night simulcast in HD on ONE, live into all markets
7- Friday Night and Sunday arvo games as above simulcast in HD on 7mate, live into all markets

4 exclusive games, like the breakdown though.

Discuss the 2017 Broadcast rights and which networks should be involved here. Looks like the AFL will fetch a $2 billion broadcast rights deal with 7, 10 and Foxtel with Telstra the online rights early in the new year.

The package I'd expect to see

Regular season
Matches involving Sydney, GWS, Port, Crows, Eagles, Suns, Lions and Dockers to replace network host broadcasters and televised live into their respective states and not on a 30-minute delay.

Finals
Seven and Ten to broadcast every game with the Brownlow Medal and Grand Final swapping each year during the TV rights deal, live
Foxtel to show every Finals game up to the Grand Final, including the Brownlow Medal.
All Finals and Grand Final must be broadcast in HD on One/7mate.

No mention of HD when they announced the last TV rights for FTA was the reason why we didn't see the past three Grand Finals in full HD. This would be a deal in which the fans will win. Live FTA games and of course, HD footy at last.

I'd be pretty happy with that. Only downer would be that 7 retaining the current crop of dickheads to commentate. Pretty sure Dennis Commeti is hanging up the mic, so I don't have much hope for his fill in. (Would be grand if Bruce ****ed off with him though. That would be ONE less idiot on the air).

Dennis will be gone, it will be a huge loss for 7. Think they'll poach Huddo from Fox Footy to fill in Dennis' boots or Quarters jumping ship from Ten to 7. The commentary around 2017 will be different to 2012. What should be TEN's commentary lineup in 2017 should they win back the rights? Miss the 5 minute warning to make close games even more exciting.

Saturday afternoon blockbusters to start at 2.10pm Melbourne time ditto Sunday afternoon. Seven can air a Sunday postgame show in the lead up to the News.

I'd be pretty happy with that. Only downer would be that 7 retaining the current crop of dickheads to commentate. Pretty sure Dennis Commeti is hanging up the mic, so I don't have much hope for his fill in. (Would be grand if Bruce ****** off with him though. That would be ONE less idiot on the air).
I'll replace Dennis. Anyone can replace BT, Duke, and "the W@nker" Andy Maher

That sounds pretty good to me mate.
Dennis will be gone, it will be a huge loss for 7. Think they'll poach Huddo from Fox Footy to fill in Dennis' boots or Quarters jumping ship from Ten to 7. The commentary around 2017 will be different to 2012. What should be TEN's commentary lineup in 2017 should they win back the rights? Miss the 5 minute warning to make close games even more exciting.
Yes I miss the five minute warning as well. In fact I wouldn't mind a complete count-up clock.

As long as Andy Maher doesn't commentate for ten. Maybe: Stephen Quartermain, Matthew Lloyd, Michael Christian, Robert Walls (expert comments), Mark Howard (boundary rider) from the last stint. Who else could they poach from other networks?

That sounds pretty good to me mate.

Yes I miss the five minute warning as well. In fact I wouldn't mind a complete count-up clock.

As long as Andy Maher doesn't commentate for ten. Maybe: Stephen Quartermain, Matthew Lloyd, Michael Christian, Robert Walls (expert comments), Mark Howard (boundary rider) from the last stint. Who else could they poach from other networks?

Garry Lyon, David Rhys-Jones,Gerard Wheatley,Drew Morphett,Chris Grant,Micheal Voss,mark Robinson,Nathan Brown, and otherwise they're all on telly

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Make the average round look like this:

Friday
Team 1 v Team 2 @ 7:40pm 7

Saturday
Team 3 v Team 4 @ 2:10pm 10
Team 5 v Team 6 @ 2:40pm FOX
Team 7 v Team 8 @ 4:40pm FOX
Team 9 v Team 10 @ 7:10pm 10
Team 11 v Team 12 @ 7:40pm FOX

Sunday
Team 13 v Team 14 @ 1:10pm FOX
Team 15 v Team 16 @ 2:10pm 7
Team 17 v Team 18 @ 2:10pm FOX

All times local.

Thursday Night
7:00pm - ten
Friday Night
7:00pm - 7
Saturday
11:00am - Footy Flashbacks - 7
12:00pm - AFL Gameday - 7
12:50pm - 7
2:00pm - FOX (MCG game, almost always an all-Vic match)
3:20pm - 7
6:30pm - 7:30pm - Before the Game - ten
7:30pm - ten
7:30pm - FOX
10:30: The Fifth Quarter - ten
Sunday

Last edited:
Thursday Night
7:00pm - ten
Friday Night
7:00pm - 7
Saturday
2:00pm - FOX (MCG game, almost always an all-Vic match)
6:30pm - 7:30pm - Before the Game - ten
7:30pm - ten
7:30pm - FOX
10:30: The Fifth Quarter - ten
Sunday
Why would gameday move to Saturday? That would be bad as they couldn't show all the Saturday games like they do.

Make the average round look like this:

Friday
Team 1 v Team 2 @ 7:40pm 7

Saturday
Team 3 v Team 4 @ 2:10pm 10
Team 5 v Team 6 @ 2:40pm FOX
Team 7 v Team 8 @ 4:40pm FOX
Team 9 v Team 10 @ 7:10pm 10
Team 11 v Team 12 @ 7:40pm FOX

Sunday
Team 13 v Team 14 @ 1:10pm FOX
Team 15 v Team 16 @ 2:10pm 7
Team 17 v Team 18 @ 2:10pm FOX

All times local.

Good one. The 2:10 Saturday afternoon blockbuster must be on FTA to maximise TV ratings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back