Player Watch #11: Luke "Two Dogs" McDonald - Roo til end '26

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, its a difficult one with LMac.

Is it fair to have huge expectations based on LMac based on being talked up as a massive jet that we are so lucky to have coming under F/S as a steal etc, or should supporters just accept a player for what he turns out to be regardless? Probably the latter, but easy to fall into the former.

I must admit so far I am a bit disappointed despite a solid and consistent first year. Lacks pace, kicking overrated (so far at least, good length - poor accuracy) - just seems rather average all round really. Can play sure and will get better, but what is genuinely exciting about him to improve on to make him this special jet?

In saying that, I love his competiveness, has real shinboner in him, is an ideal size and no doubt has a lengthy AFL career in front of him based on what can offer so i'm not unhappy we took him necessarily. Plenty in that draft have done nothing so far and Luke has.

I think my disappointment stems off what I expected based on what I read, rather than anything LMac has done "wrong". He hasn't done anything "wrong" for a young player. Been better than most! Actually all the draft threads here and elsewhere are that way, number 45 every year in the draft will be a superstar if you listen to what is said about them. All positive, no negative/reality.

If I were to have a guess, unfortunately I can't see him ever having the elite attributes to break into the best players in the league where Fyfe/Stringer/Bont/Wingard and co are and/or headed. I'd love to be wrong, and he has plenty of time to do that in fact. Trust me I hope he does.

Last edited:

Yeah, its a difficult one with LMac.

Is it fair to have huge expectations based on LMac based on being talked up as a massive jet that we are so lucky to have coming under F/S as a massive steal etc that he hasn't met, or should supporters just accept a player for what he turns out to be regardless? Probably the latter, but easy to fall into the former.

I must admit so far I am disappointed despite a solid first year where he got plenty of chances. Lacks pace, kicking overrated (so far at least, good length - poor accuracy) - seems a rather ho-hum average player all round really. Can play no doubt and will get better, but what is genuinely exciting about him? In saying that, I love his competiveness, has real shinboner in him, is an ideal size and no doubt has a lengthy AFL career in front of him based on what can offer.

I think my disappointment stems of what I expected based on what I read, rather than anything LMac has done "wrong". He hasn't done anything "wrong" for a young player. Been better than most! Actually all the draft threads here and elsewhere are that way, number 65 every year in the draft will be a superstar if you listen to what is said about them. All positive, no negative/reality.

If I were to have a guess, unfortunately I can't see him ever having the elite attributes to break into the best players in the league where Fyfe/Stringer/Bont/Wingard and co are and/or headed. I'd love to be wrong, and he has plenty of time to do that in fact. Trust me I hope he does.
Great post. The reality is unfortunately, he is nothing special. Just a solid citizen who gives his all for the club.
Don't see him being elite though

Lives and breathes the club and is in his second year, not his eighth. I will break the trend and cheer him on without any negativity.

My view on McDonald is that people expect him to be bontempelli which he's not. Therefore he might not be up to it.

That's crap. Played some good footy at times this year (some average and poor footy at other times) despite not having a decent preseason.

I remember the

Very underwhelming year TBH.

Hasn't done enough to justify his first round selection so far, in my opinion.

I love his courage and intensity I also love how he loves the club, but if he doesn't get quicker, stronger and improve his decision making I can't see him being more than a B-Grader. Harsh for a 2nd year player I know, i just had high hopes for someone who absolutely dominated under age footy.
I suggest you read Cunningtons thread after his 2nd and 3rd years.......Lukey will be fine. And no threat to ever leave.

I suggest you read Cunningtons thread after his 2nd and 3rd years.......Lukey will be fine. And no threat to ever leave.

I was one of cunningtons biggest supporters mate, inside ball winners with a chunky body like cunners always take a bit of time.

Having seen Luke in juniors I just thought he would have made the step up a lot quicker than what he has. His full year in the VFL was better than his VFL output this year.

I was one of cunningtons biggest supporters mate, inside ball winners with a chunky body like cunners always take a bit of time.

Having seen Luke in juniors I just thought he would have made the step up a lot quicker than what he has. His full year in the VFL was better than his VFL output this year.
Not saying you werent.....all Im saying is that there were many who started to question cunners back then.

Are you concerned about our development system?

Can we not do that whole thing where we build up young players to be bigger than Jesus and then get all whiny when not every part of their career goes exactly to plan? I for one am happy with how Luke is progressing, he had a bit of a 'learning year' but all players have those at some point in their careers. Give him a little time, eh?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't like this stupid soft kid to be honest. but he showed something positive which cannot be descibed in words,
I think he will show more clearly and he gets some triggers to improve his roll and skill like Jacob next season.

Luke didn't pick himself as our 1st rounder, the recruitment staff did. He also had a bid on him from wet toast, if we weren't confident as a team that he would be good they would have let him go to the toast. Yes clubs bid on players to force their hands, but you are not going to bid a top 10 pick just for shits and giggles. Other recruiters must have seen some ability there in the kid.

You're on the right track with Luke, roos_fanatic08. He had a disappointing year and lost his spot. That's reality.

Some people want to criticise you for being "negative" without actually reading what you posted. He had a an excellent first year and an ordinary 2nd year and that's pretty much what you posted - as well as hoping he has a better year next year.

Perhaps you should have posted that he was "great" in year one and "not quite as great" in year two (then listed the reasons/excuses) and everyone would have been happy with your post.

His old man thinks he will be a mid. Says young players are tired and hungry all the time and are not men until they get that core strength.

Is as tall as the chief but legs are still skinny and a smaller frame.

According to the media he had a stress fracture in his back, did not train much in between games in year 1, not much of a preseason this year but put on 6 kegs and grew 2cm.

Look at Fyfe, taken in 2009 and his legs are now huge and designed for power to hold his ground and explosiveness out of the stoppages.

Can we not do that whole thing where we build up young players to be bigger than Jesus and then get all whiny when not every part of their career goes exactly to plan? I for one am happy with how Luke is progressing, he had a bit of a 'learning year' but all players have those at some point in their careers. Give him a little time, eh?

Out of curiosity, what aspect of his progress this year were you happy with?

Luke had a great first year and a poorer showing in his second year.

People seem to be thinking that that isn't entirely normal. It 100% is normal. the vast majority of AFL players have to work at becoming elite. it is incredibly rare a player arrives at a club and just goes boom and never goes backwards. Development is not linear.

The thing that is well and truly in Luke's favour is time.

He was drafted the year after Garner and has played 24 more games. In 3 years when he is around 100 games and nearing physical maturity then we will be able to see what kind of limit the kid has.

Right now on the back of a mixed bag couple of seasons any sort of future predicting is pretty futile.

So much scope for improvement it is not funny.

Luke had a great first year and a poorer showing in his second year.

People seem to be thinking that that isn't entirely normal. It 100% is normal. the vast majority of AFL players have to work at becoming elite. it is incredibly rare a player arrives at a club and just goes boom and never goes backwards. Development is not linear.

The thing that is well and truly in Luke's favour is time.

He was drafted the year after Garner and has played 24 more games. In 3 years when he is around 100 games and nearing physical maturity then we will be able to see what kind of limit the kid has.

Right now on the back of a mixed bag couple of seasons any sort of future predicting is pretty futile.

So much scope for improvement it is not funny.

Agree.

I actually also think his "poor" year this year is over blown.

Had some poor games, some average and some good. Just because he's not Bontempelli doesn't mean he's no good.

Did I just read LMac is soft?

Short memories.

That second clip is from his first game.

And the first clip is just ridiculous.

People want superstars from Day 1.

It's just doesn't happen very often at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back