Retired #22: Matthew Leuenberger - offered a new deal but chose to retire - 24/10

This bloke is a star both on and off the field. I have no doubt he'll smash it for you guys, he's got game. All the best.

duckdog

All Australian
May 17, 2010
upper hiawatha
AFL Club
Essendon
Hadn't watched the highlight reel until now and I know yeah yeah it's the best bits but he's got a lovely deft touch to advantage. Not a smash it long every chance type.( that's probably obvious to the initiated too) Our current mids should relish this. And he actually wants to play ruck full on, pretty rare now

cAsEy_18

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Apr 13, 2007
Frankston
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Yankees, Chelseas, YCW.
What is often overlooked is we could easily go into next year with a rough midfield make-up of Leuenberger, Watson, Hocking, Heppell, Myers, Colyer, Z. Merrett.

Okay so it was only like the last 6 games for Merrett, but besides that and Heppell, the rest of them basically missed at very least half of last season. We played without a midfield.

That's most of our ball winners. And I don't like leaving the outside pace to too few, but Colyer, Merrett and Fantasia isn't a slow trio.

We'll still struggle to kick a score, but the whole "We're not as bad as our ladder position suggests" is certainly not just blowing smoke.

Charliebrow 16

Premiership Player
Oct 3, 2006
Tasmania
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics, Federer, Birmingham FC
If he stays on the park for long periods, he's going to be absolutely wonderful for us. His talent is unquestionable, durability is the only issue.

Apr 6, 2008
coburg
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Australian cricket team
There is the tantalizing possibility that he could make a perfect match with mckernan. Between the two of them they could bring the stoppage heat that tbc failed at so dismally. The Berger service to heppell and Watson for the damaging left jab, with smack, hocking and Myers for the shattering right hook!
Just praying to Santa (my sons methodology) that mckernan is a chf!
This is where I'm at too.

Back