Past #22: Todd Goldstein - has advised NMFC he will seek opportunity at Essendon in '24 - 316 NM games/156 goals/'15 SBM/'15 AA/most hitouts in lge history

Remove this Banner Ad

First post in this thread, no idea why we picked this 200cm hack
In fairness there is a chance some supporter for some team will say that about every middle range pick. I'm sure someone would have said that about Harvey. We are just lucky the internet didn't exist then:p

been by far and away the best ruck in the Comp this year, didn't think it was possible but he's taken another step, can he win the Brownlow? He's a big chance
Not if Fyfe has anything to do with it. Goldy would have to be up there though. He's dominated almost every game he's played.

I reckon Goldy's within a sniff of Fyfe's arse.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Not if Fyfe has anything to do with it. Goldy would have to be up there though. He's dominated almost every game he's played.

I reckon Goldy's within a sniff of Fyfe's arse.

View attachment 151774

Yep. Goldy could have a serious crack at it.

Robbo's Likes & Dislikes:

"8. Todd Goldstein. Is the All Australian ruckman in everybody’s eyes and was probably best afield on Saturday night. His tapwork is sublime and, he tackles and wins clearances, his willingness to speak to the media should be a blueprint for all footballers. He spoke to colleague Matt Windley before the game about how he hoped to deal with Simpson as the ruckman and Blicavs as third-man up and spoke again after the game. That’s the kind of access and insight the fans love."

Said article from Matt Windley:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...e-geelongs-rucks/story-fnp04d70-1227438497870

"IN-FORM ruckman Todd Goldstein knew he might be powerless to stop Geelong’s stoppage impact on Saturday night as he prepared to take on Dawson Simpson and Mark Blicavs at Etihad Stadium.

But he needn’t have worried.

By the end of Round 11 Blicavs had already set a new record for most third-man ruck hitouts in a season.

And speaking to the Sunday Herald Sun in the rooms before Saturday night’s game, Goldstein said he would rely on help from his North Melbourne friends to keep the former steeplechaser out of the game.

“I think his size and mobility really does add another dimension for them and we struggled to know how to counter (the third man up) in Round 4,” Goldstein said.

story-fnp04d70-1227438497870

“In terms of stoppages tonight, if we do start to get on top in there, I think they will try to do that more and more.

“I’m going to have my hands full with Dawson, so it’s going to be up to the likes of Ben Cunnington and Jack Ziebell to work out whether they can get in front of him to stop his run, or whether they need to try and read the tap.”

On his impending battle with the “strong” and “big bodied” Simpson, Goldstein said he knew he was in for a physical battle.

“So for me tonight it’s just going to be about trying to keep him moving because he’s missed a fair bit of footy,” he said.

“Us bigger blokes, as we get tired, our strength fades away so if I can keep him moving it’ll help, because if he gets me out of position in body-on-body contests then I’ll be in a bit of strife.”

HOW IT TRANSPIRED
True to his word, Goldstein had Simpson covering vast amounts of turf, getting forward at every opportunity — he kicked 1.1 — and also tracking back to often be a loose man in defence.

He would finish the match with a massive 47 hitouts to Simpson’s 29 and also won the pair’s disposal split 19-5.

And while he was expecting the help from his teammates, Goldstein also got a chop out from the umpires early in the second quarter when Simpson was penalised for preventing his counterpart from getting to a boundary throw in as Blicavs tried to get free for an uncontested tap.

The infringement came at a time when North was starting to dominate the clearances, Goldstein was starting to run amok in open play — he had 10 possessions in the second term alone — and the Roos slammed on five-consecutive goals.

More or less the third man up impact of Blicavs was kept in check, particularly by Roos skipper Andrew Swallow, and the Cat gathered a total of 16 touches and 11 hitouts.

Goldstein, though, was everywhere, receiving three Herald Sun player of the year votes.

GOLDSTEIN’S POST-MATCH THOUGHTS
On the third-man up: “They started it off and so we adjusted a little bit.

“I think our outside structure worked pretty well and once that started working it definitely dropped off.

“The couple of adjustments we made with our wingers really helped us.”

On the battle with Simpson: “Knowing that it was his first game back, it’s always tough after a long layoff. I was glad I was able to take advantage of that tonight.

“He likes to go forward a bit so I was making sure I was covering him off there and then just working hard forward myself, even when sometimes I didn’t think I was going to get the ball, it was just good to get a few more Ks under the belt to keep him moving and I think that helped us in the end.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Robbo reckons Fyfe is the only thing standing between Goldy & the Brownlow:

if Fyfe is suspended for his hit on Duryea, does Goldstein become the immediate new favourite for the Brownlow?

• dff13170-8d07-49d8-8e2d-2eec5917da3b.jpg

Mark Robinson
    Probably but I'd be staggered if he will be

Robbo's Likes & Dislikes:

"8. Todd Goldstein. Is the All Australian ruckman in everybody’s eyes and was probably best afield on Saturday night. His tapwork is sublime and, he tackles and wins clearances, his willingness to speak to the media should be a blueprint for all footballers. He spoke to colleague Matt Windley before the game about how he hoped to deal with Simpson as the ruckman and Blicavs as third-man up and spoke again after the game. That’s the kind of access and insight the fans love."

Said article from Matt Windley:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...e-geelongs-rucks/story-fnp04d70-1227438497870

"IN-FORM ruckman Todd Goldstein knew he might be powerless to stop Geelong’s stoppage impact on Saturday night as he prepared to take on Dawson Simpson and Mark Blicavs at Etihad Stadium.

But he needn’t have worried.

By the end of Round 11 Blicavs had already set a new record for most third-man ruck hitouts in a season.

And speaking to the Sunday Herald Sun in the rooms before Saturday night’s game, Goldstein said he would rely on help from his North Melbourne friends to keep the former steeplechaser out of the game.

“I think his size and mobility really does add another dimension for them and we struggled to know how to counter (the third man up) in Round 4,” Goldstein said.

story-fnp04d70-1227438497870

“In terms of stoppages tonight, if we do start to get on top in there, I think they will try to do that more and more.

“I’m going to have my hands full with Dawson, so it’s going to be up to the likes of Ben Cunnington and Jack Ziebell to work out whether they can get in front of him to stop his run, or whether they need to try and read the tap.”

On his impending battle with the “strong” and “big bodied” Simpson, Goldstein said he knew he was in for a physical battle.

“So for me tonight it’s just going to be about trying to keep him moving because he’s missed a fair bit of footy,” he said.

“Us bigger blokes, as we get tired, our strength fades away so if I can keep him moving it’ll help, because if he gets me out of position in body-on-body contests then I’ll be in a bit of strife.”

HOW IT TRANSPIRED
True to his word, Goldstein had Simpson covering vast amounts of turf, getting forward at every opportunity — he kicked 1.1 — and also tracking back to often be a loose man in defence.

He would finish the match with a massive 47 hitouts to Simpson’s 29 and also won the pair’s disposal split 19-5.

And while he was expecting the help from his teammates, Goldstein also got a chop out from the umpires early in the second quarter when Simpson was penalised for preventing his counterpart from getting to a boundary throw in as Blicavs tried to get free for an uncontested tap.

The infringement came at a time when North was starting to dominate the clearances, Goldstein was starting to run amok in open play — he had 10 possessions in the second term alone — and the Roos slammed on five-consecutive goals.

More or less the third man up impact of Blicavs was kept in check, particularly by Roos skipper Andrew Swallow, and the Cat gathered a total of 16 touches and 11 hitouts.

Goldstein, though, was everywhere, receiving three Herald Sun player of the year votes.

GOLDSTEIN’S POST-MATCH THOUGHTS
On the third-man up: “They started it off and so we adjusted a little bit.

“I think our outside structure worked pretty well and once that started working it definitely dropped off.

“The couple of adjustments we made with our wingers really helped us.”

On the battle with Simpson: “Knowing that it was his first game back, it’s always tough after a long layoff. I was glad I was able to take advantage of that tonight.

“He likes to go forward a bit so I was making sure I was covering him off there and then just working hard forward myself, even when sometimes I didn’t think I was going to get the ball, it was just good to get a few more Ks under the belt to keep him moving and I think that helped us in the end.”

I can't imagine the mental pressure Goldy imposes on opponents. They'd know that come the final quarter they'll be completely shattered from their 70% game time locking horns and running after Goldy - and Goldy has still played 20-25% more game time, won more hit outs, taken more marks, got more possies and run more k's than them and is still fresh as a daisy. Freak.

Wow.

What a change in a player.

His mastered marking and now finds plenty of the ball around the ground as well as winning his own clearances!

His twice as good as he was this time last year!

I know Dean Cox was/is a totally flogtastic BUT he was a great footballer - Goldy is moving around the ground, tackling and taking marks like him in his prime - also he smashed whatever ruckman happens to have the misfortune of lining up against him

In fairness there is a chance some supporter for some team will say that about every middle range pick. I'm sure someone would have said that about Harvey. We are just lucky the internet didn't exist then:p
It's great fun reading back at the first few pages of all these player threads, this one is up there with the best. What isn't so fun is when you find one of your own stupid comments from years ago.

He may not have a legitimate ruckman this week as his opposition.

It's great fun reading back at the first few pages of all these player threads, this one is up there with the best. What isn't so fun is when you find one of your own stupid comments from years ago.
But more than half the time the poster is right in his criticism of a player. Out of 10 players drafted, you might get only 4 who you can say legitimately "make" it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back