Remove this Banner Ad

tiltraise

Premiership Player
Feb 12, 2008
arden street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This from combine harvester

Ben McKay (24/12/1997. 200cm, 85kg. Gippsland Power)

Tall defender/forward

AFL biography: Tall defender or forward who can also assist in the ruck. Played 10 games with Gippsland Power this year after a late start with his 16 disposals, seven marks and six rebound 50s in key defence against Oakleigh Chargers impressive as a defender. Played forward and kicked four goals from 15 disposals against the Northern Knights in Round 17. Strong overhead and aggressive in the contest. Twin brother to Harry who is also attending the Draft Combine.

"Harry did the preseason with us and then stepped away for a little bit. Since he's come back he hasn't put a foot wrong. He's really athletic for a 200-centimetre player. He can mark the ball, he can kick, and he's versatile. He can go forward and kick a goal and his ruck work has really developed, but we think he's probably best suited as a key defender. He's competitive, he likes the ball coming at him, he reads it really well and he's good an intercepting it. He just seems a bit more comfortable down there."

Leigh Brown, Gippsland Power coach

ArjenTheGreat

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2005
Arden St
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I could see us being wary after Tarrant, Curran, Delaney. Hawks probably have more scope to take risks with that sort of player with where they're at right now.

I think we were always going to take the risk if Hibbo was available, having our first two picks being injured riddled would have been ridiculous given our luck last year.

I'm warming to this Kid, my Cuningham love is washing off knowing we might me able to Free Agent him in a few years.

So much confliction about where he is best suited
Given contested marking is one of his strengths and our list needs, I think we can be sure that forward will be his first go unless he struggles and the club goes for a plan B.

Magnets

Team Captain
Nov 2, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Very true, I wouldn't rule it out, but all things considered Jed & McKay is something to be very happy with.
Often laugh at how we are all experts on draftees generally based on what we have read. Have faith in our recruiters, it's what they do full time and there is always a bigger picture that we mere mortals have no idea about. Welcome boys!

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
Given contested marking is one of his strengths and our list needs, I think we can be sure that forward will be his first go unless he struggles and the club goes for a plan B.

Plan B?

This club?

Get the * outta here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone

From the little footage available I like his attitude to playing forward but.. he did look really natural in a key defensive spot.

KangaFan35

Club Legend
Nov 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Looks good in Blue and White!
image.jpg

Okay so I spoke to my mate in the recruiting caper who last year told me we have a gun in Vickers-willis (interesting to see how that pans out) who he is still bullish about gave me a summation of this fella.

Raw, but stacked of upside. Needs three solid pre seasons and he'll be good to go. Hard at it, bit of mongrel and good hands. Fairly agile considering his size and fitness base so with AFL training, who really knows how good he will get. Understood why North picked him with their first pick because he would have gone soon after. Could be boom could be average but worth the risk. Says he's a bit like Tom Lynch from GC but a bit smoother.

He made comments on a couple of others which I will post in their own thread

Okay so I spoke to my mate in the recruiting caper who last year told me we have a gun in Vickers-willis (interesting to see how that pans out) who he is still bullish about gave me a summation of this fella.

Raw, but stacked of upside. Needs three solid pre seasons and he'll be good to go. Hard at it, bit of mongrel and good hands. Fairly agile considering his size and fitness base so with AFL training, who really knows how good he will get. Understood why North picked him with their first pick because he would have gone soon after. Could be boom could be average but worth the risk. Says he's a bit like Tom Lynch from GC but a bit smoother.

He made comments on a couple of others which I will post in their own thread

I like the Tom Lynch comparison. Getting someone nearly as good as him would be fantastic.

Thank God your mate didn't compare him with Ty Vickery - it's the hairstyle that unsettles me, I suspect.

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
A monster kid with little development put into him who can clunk massively and moves really well.

As Biggie allueded to, 3 years of weights, endurance and agility training will see him a physical beast. The real question will be what type of footballer will we have by then. Could be a freakin superstar, could be Levi Casboult mk2.

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
Taz emerged in the back half of the season no doubt. But a couple of good games against key forwards doesn't mean the full back issue is all solved. Not having a go at anyone here just airing my thoughts.

He was good for the majority of the season.

Back