Past Lachie Henderson

Remove this Banner Ad

A bit harsh. I know my mum never asks for my permission to speak with people...

I bet your mother doesn't have to publicly defend you either.

I don't care about the cause of his departure... he is a Carlton 100 game player. He has been with us through a trying time and we have said of other talented players over the course of the last 13 years that we could understand it if they wanted to leave for more success.

Well guess what... the first one has.

The club has handled this all wrong, Lachie has handled it all wrong... everyone one is in the s**t and there are no stairs out at this point in time.

He deserves some modicum of respect...
What trying time? He came to the club and played 3 finals series on the trot didn't he? Then again in 2013.

Someone who played with us through our 'trying' times are guys like Walker, Jamison even Gibbs and Murph.

I bet your mother doesn't have to publicly defend you either.
His mum rang specifically to respond to Caro's comment 5 minutes before that he had walked out on the club.

She said, (as did Barker and Henderson) that he was available to play but the club decided it was better to play others. She said she wouldn't discuss anything else and she didn't and she didn't bag out Carlton.

Running out of excuses isn't he? I can personally understand wanting to return to the state you grew up in.

I have no problem with him moving to another Victorian club for more success either but let's not call him loyal. He's not shown loyalty anywhere he's been really.
He is a professional footballer with half of his very short career over. He wants to be happy and have some success. Why begrudge him chasing those goals?

I guess what I find most bizarre and off putting is that it was spoken of all season that he had been told he was up for trade whether he liked it or not and now his character is being assassinated because he is being traded.

Good to see his Mum has his back, what with all the knives in it.

She would though. Pretty much what mums are for.

You're right. I guess I need to take that into consideration. I am an only child that lost my parents at 18 (Dad) and 21 (Mum).

So I'd like to apologize for my commentary.

He is a professional footballer with half of his very short career over. He wants to be happy and have some success. Why begrudge him chasing those goals?

I guess what I find most bizarre and off putting is that it was spoken of all season that he had been told he was up for trade whether he liked it or not and now his character is being assassinated because he is being traded.

Good to see his Mum has his back, what with all the knives in it.
Did you actually read what I wrote? I don't begrudge him moving.

But let's not go out and pretend he's loyal. He's not. Kade Simpson is loyal.

I don't care about the cause of his departure... he is a Carlton 100 game player. He has been with us through a trying time and we have said of other talented players over the course of the last 13 years that we could understand it if they wanted to leave for more success.

Well guess what... the first one has.

The club has handled this all wrong, Lachie has handled it all wrong... everyone one is in the s**t and there are no stairs out at this point in time.

He deserves some modicum of respect...

Has put in bugger all effort all season, its been obvious to all and sundry he wanted out from the start of the season, and now he wants to chase success. he can get stuffed.

Simmo is the King of playing with us through trying times.
How could I forget Simmo? My bad.

Just gotta laugh at fans saying Hendo played through hard times with us therefore he has the right to chase success. Brett Deledio could have gone to any club in the land for huge dollars + success, and he chose to stick fat. Chris Newman played 200 games with Richmond and is now forced to retire before they come good. Richos biggest claim to fame was playing in a few good finals. Riewoldt stuck with Saints after they conceded they needed a rebuild and Collingwood threw huge $$$ at him.

* you Hendo. You don't know footy pain.

Has put in bugger all effort all season, its been obvious to all and sundry he wanted out from the start of the season, and now he wants to chase success. he can get stuffed.
Yup... we all really know the reasons behind his final decision. He could have been told ages ago when he was coming back from injury that his services could possibly not be required come the end of the year as we enter a rebuilding phase.

It might have been playing on his mind and affected his performances and when he got told that he was getting dropped to the reserves this week he decided that he had had enough uncertainty about his future and took matters into his own hands.

We are on the outside of the club, we don't really know whats going on in there behind closed doors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yup... we all really know the reasons behind his final decision. He could have been told ages ago when he was coming back from injury that his services could possibly not be required come the end of the year as we enter a rebuilding phase.

It might have been playing on his mind and affected his performances and when he got told that he was getting dropped to the reserves this week he decided that he had had enough uncertainty about his future and took matters into his own hands.

We are on the outside of the club, we don't really know whats going on in there behind closed doors.

Or he's a pea heart that has put in fk all effort this year knowing full well he was leaving at the end of it. Which do you think is more likely?

Unfortunately there are no winners here. Undoubtedly Hendo was a good backman and, at times, a forward. He could play footy, and I cheered as loudly as others for his efforts.

The club doesn't gave his services for three games and if we lose to Melbourntoday I'm going to hate it. Having talented players not on the field makes this likely. So the club loses out.

He's quitting to get success on the coat tails of others, not getting down and dirty and seeking success from the ground up. Sook, see you later.

Hendo was in our leadership group? How piss poor is this group? I listen to radio commentators crap on about leadership and now I have to admit they are correct? Our leadership is lamentable.

All I can hope for us that we get a reasonable return for a key position utility, who will add class to a good side.

Some days I just don't like football. With some luck that may change this afternoon at the 'G.

Did you actually read what I wrote? I don't begrudge him moving.

But let's not go out and pretend he's loyal. He's not. Kade Simpson is loyal.
Loyalty goes two ways and I would argue that your club telling you you are up for trade when your ambition is to captain that club is not the finest example of it. So how exactly do you be loyal to a club that does that to you?

Bit like being dumped by a lover and then being told you can't look at other people because it's cheating.

I have no problem with him wanting to leave what I do have a problem with is that we paid him 500k this year for him to have not tried and to have checked out since round 1. If he returns his 2015 salary I'll wish him all the best....
Now that's loyalty!!! Use Hendo's reimbursement to fast track the Jones boy's exodus. I like it jj1978.

Loyalty goes two ways and I would argue that your club telling you you are up for trade when your ambition is to captain that club is not the finest example of it. So how exactly do you be loyal to a club that does that to you?

Bit like being dumped by a lover and then being told you can't look at other people because it's cheating.

This seems to be an accepted fact by those who support Hendo's actions but is it fact?

Was it categoricaly stated by the club that he was going to be on he trade table or are some jumping on that possibility to excuse his form this year?

if we're guessing (by far the most likely scenario on this board) then I'd like to make my own guess. How about, at the beginning of the year Lachie's manager put a figure to the club they they considered (on exposed form) to be excessive and responded along the lines of " We don't believe he's worth that and he has this season to prove otherwise. If we still don't agree then we will look at trading options if another club agrees to that price"

Does anyone seriously believe that Hendersons form this year warranted even the same contract as his previous one?

I'd guess that he knew there was no chance that he would get an increased contract so threw the toys out of the pram. IMO he showed as much fight this year as I would against Mike Tyson at his scariest.

Of course it does. I've never said the club was innocent in this.

Do you agree with telling the club that you'll be taking off elsewhere while there are games still to be played?

This seems to be an accepted fact by those who support Hendo's actions but is it fact?

Was it categoricaly stated by the club that he was going to be on he trade table or are some jumping on that possibility to excuse his form this year?

if we're guessing (by far the most likely scenario on this board) then I'd like to make my own guess. How about, at the beginning of the year Lachie's manager put a figure to the club they they considered (on exposed form) to be excessive and responded along the lines of " We don't believe he's worth that and he has this season to prove otherwise. If we still don't agree then we will look at trading options if another club agrees to that price"

Does anyone seriously believe that Hendersons form this year warranted even the same contract as his previous one?

I'd guess that he knew there was no chance that he would get an increased contract so threw the toys out of the pram. IMO he showed as much fight this year as I would against Mike Tyson at his scariest.
We are also led to believe that pretty much everyone bar Gibbs and Murphy were on the trade table, but seems that poor old Lach decided that he wouldn't try and show the club what a bad idea that would be. Difference between wanting to captain a club and demonstrating that you should be.

There has been a contract on the table for Henderson for quite a while. May not have been what Lachie wanted in dollar terms but was what the club thought he was worth. And it was a very reasonable offer.

He is leaving for success and a better contract return. Good luck to him however the club wants to build a playing list that consists of players with resilient character. Leadership!

There has been a contract on the table for Henderson for quite a while. May not have been what Lachie wanted in dollar terms but was what the club thought he was worth. And it was a very reasonable offer.

He is leaving for success and a better contract return. Good luck to him however the club wants to build a playing list that consists of players with resilient character. Leadership!

I just feel like he has been blowing smoke up our backsides all year. Early on he was saying that he didn't want to start contract negotiations until he found some form, but there's no doubt he had made up his mind a fair while ago.

I just feel like he has been blowing smoke up our backsides all year. Early on he was saying that he didn't want to start contract negotiations until he found some form, but there's no doubt he had made up his mind a fair while ago.
You are correct HBF. I think Hendo knew early in the year that we would not be offering contract terms that he was expecting. He would have also received offers elsewhere that were greater and hence played the season knowing he would move on.

As good as he can be It's an opportunity to negotiate a good Draft Pick and start accumulating a group of players with the right character to come through together.

and he also said he wasn't going to decide until he knew who the next coach was going to be

Remove this Banner Ad

Back