New Orleans Saints, Detroit Tigers
LOBBE%20Matthew.png

Height: 200 cm

Weight: 97 kg

Date of Birth: 12th February 1989

Nickname: Lobster, Harry

Twitter Handle: Lobbe23

Position: Ruck

Recruited From: Eastern Ranges (2007 National Draft Pick #16)

Career Games (to end of 2015): 84 (41 wins, 43 losses)

Career Goals (to end of 2015): 21

For more career stats click here

Honours:
  • 2014 PAFC Most Improved Player

More info on Matthew Lobbe:
With the off season signing of Paddy Ryder giving a whole new look to our ruck division, it was always going to be a challenging year for Lobbes. Unfortunately, his form regressed on his 2014 output with most agreeing that being forced to share the ruck duties played a significant part. He was only able to pass the 10 disposal mark in 4 of his 17 matches and averaged less than 2 marks per game, a poor return. He often lacked presence at stoppages, highlighted by the mid season game against Geelong where Rhys Stanley and Mark Blicavs won clearance after clearance despite Lobbes winning a majority of the taps. In the end, he was dropped late in the season, a serious fall from grace for a vice captain who had led the ruck so valiantly in 2014. Lobbes faces a big challenge to regain his mantle as our number one ruckman, but Ken Hinkley has made it very clear that he is still in our plans and will be given plenty of opportunity to do so.

Highlight Reel:

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Draft Day Discussion

Looks like he at least has some sort of muscle base to start with as well, compared to Minson and GIles when we drafted them.

Re: Matthew Lobbe

Matthew grew up supporting Richmond and would love to be given the #23 to wear for the Power.

Some of Toots's training pics (23 Jan 08). Moves very well for such a tall, lanky kid, nice kick on him and good hands overhead and in front of the eyes. Obviously needs a couple of years in the gym, but looks to have the tools to succeed.

n668067098_429383_5586.jpg

n668067098_429384_5925.jpg

n668067098_429385_6210.jpg

n668067098_429386_6547.jpg

Fox Sports News did a couple of minutes story on Lobbe. He does move well for a 200cm player. Showed him effortlessly picking up half volleys. Don't think De Luca can do this.

Anyway, looks like he will become a ruck option choice before a CHF. Brogan has been appointed his mentor and he has also spent a lot of time with Lade. Talked about the tough preseason, learning a lot about footy and non footy things and said the club had good development systems.

Brogan said he "had a lot of talent, he's tall and he can run. He's got some good skills, he's going to take a little while, but he's a very good pick up for the club and hopefully can be a long term player."

I would expect a senior player to say some good things about a younger player but they are encouraging words. It's the first decent interview I have heard from our 2007 draftees apart from the first couple of days after the draft. Not sure what it means that the club has let him do a one on one interview at this stage of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Port Magpies website lists him at 88kg already. If it's accurate he's already put on 4kg since he's arrived. The commentators at the internal trial mentioned he had put on some useful muscle since training at Port - 4 k's doesn't spread far over 199cm tho.

Played in the Magpies internal trial on Friday. Appeared to spend time at CHF, CHB and in the ruck and have seen quotes saying he spent most of his time across wing and defence.

He must live in my area cos ive seen him around quite a bit. He is way off playing afl footy size wise. Doesnt have a mature body, although I guess that didnt hamper the Hoff or Krakouer last year.

Played well again as a backup ruckman in the Magpies trial win on Saturday. Second report that he looks good as an athletic ruck who follows up his taps well.

Watched the Port v South trial today. Watched him closely.

His stats:

K: 1
H: 4
M: 0
HO: 7
T: 1

Gametime: 45-50%

Placement:
Ruck: 90%
HFF: 10%

Played the last 8 minutes of the 1st, and the last 10 minutes of the 2nd-4th quarters.

Spent all bar the last 3 minutes of the last quarter in the ruck, generally playing a kick behind the play. Given that Port won by 10 goals, he wasnt involved with the play all that much except for at ruck duels.

Rucked pretty well, has a fine leap and would have won maybe 7 out of maybe 12-13 ruck duels he was involved in.

Almost all his 4 handballs were quick ones out of a contested situation. 3 of them hit the target. To me it showed smart play under pressure.

One thing I noted was he likes to do the 1 percenters. Will block/shepherd, knock the ball on and help out his teammates.

Read the play well behind the play. Got into about 3-4 marking contests. Dropped one he should have taken and spoiled a couple of others.

Has decent pace for his size. In terms of build hes not as skinny as I thought. Seems to have put on a bit of bulk already, but will need another big pre season in the gym. I think he has the upper body build at the moment to definately put on some weight.

Was a decent enough showing. Would have liked to have seen him up forward. With Meiklejohn to come back im not overly sure if he will start in the league, with Batson probably worthy of a league game as well. This is why I wanted to see him up forward for a bit of time.

In terms of Ruck, if he can put on the weight needed to play there at AFL level then I think he could play AFL as a ruck.

Wanna see him get some more gametime as well.

Q by Q Stats:
1: 2h, 3ho
2: 2h, 1ho
3: 1k, 2ho
4: 1ho

PLayed a decent game in the reserves today vs South.

Stats:
K: 4
M: 3
H: 5
HO: 5
G: 1
T: 2

Had a great start playing a Tredders type in between CHF/FF role in the first quarter. Had 5 touches and a goal to 1/4 time. Spent more time in the ruck for the rest of the game.

Played probably a Darren Smith/Lade type role of a leading forward who also rucks when the ball is in the forward 50. His ruckwork is good, although sometimes he gets himself ridiculously out of position.

Didnt really see much of the ball up forward after 1/4 time. Erskine was the main go-to guy up there and Lobbe played a back role.

Again its a solid hitout for the kid. Hes got a great leap, covers a lot of ground and reads the play well. Some more development and improvement and he should be ready for Seniors in a few weeks time.

lobbe had another good game for the maggies in the ressies. played Ruck CHF and CHB and never let up, when he makes an error he just keeps his head up and keeps on trying to make up for his error. Hopefully will get a league game sometime this year.

lobbe had another good game for the maggies in the ressies. played Ruck CHF and CHB and never let up, when he makes an error he just keeps his head up and keeps on trying to make up for his error. Hopefully will get a league game sometime this year.
What sort of stats is he getting?

What sort of stats is he getting?

Past couple of weeks from Port's SANFL review

Matt Lobbe (for Port reserves v Central reserves at Elizabeth) – Matty had to ruck against Gilesy and another big bodied ruckman and although it was a tough job, he tried hard and competed well. He had 13 possessions, 5 marks and 8 hit outs. He’s learning and improving.

Matt Lobbe (for Port reserves v Eagles reserves at Alberton) – Played in the ruck most of the day but went forward late in the game. A good game again with 20 touches and 6 marks. He looked very dangerous when he was forward and Port named him best on ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back