#23 Matthew Lobbe

Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Stanford
well i cant give to much info i havnt spoken to MAtt since nov 2007, and havnt played with him since i retired from shoulder and knee problems, so that was about 2006 and he would of evolved in the last 4 years, but he was one of the best if not the best in the devision i played in, he was a nice guy and had silky smoth ruck work and had high stamina and would of just improved that in the last 4 years, i wish him well and hope he has a long and succesfull AFL career

#23 MATTHEW LOBBE

22 / 199 / 98

237549.jpg

SANFL Reserves Stats:
Games: 3
Disposals: 40
Disposal Efficiency: 76.0
Marks: 8
Hitouts: 59
Clearances: 4
Tackles: 4
Inside50: 3
Rebound50: 3
Goals: 0
Best Players: 0

SANFL Stats:
Games: 6
Disposals: 49
Disposal Efficiency: 81.6
Marks: 14
Clearances: 4
Tackles: 16
Inside50: 4
Rebound50: 0
Goals: 3
Best Players:

VOTES:
BigFooty: 55 (18th)
Port: 4 (=16th)
Macca19: 39 (=18th)

AFL Stats:
Games: 10
Disposals: 122
Disposal Efficiency: 59.8
Marks: 32
Contested Marks: 11
Clearances: 33
Tackles: 39
Inside50: 15
Rebound50: 4
Contested Possession: 72
Goals: 1
Goal Assists: 1
Best Players: 8

Notes:
A late season resurgence and injury to Dean Brogan has arguably saved Matthew Lobbes career. He struggled for form at SANFL level and was dropped to the reserves twice during the year, but he got his chance at AFL level in Round 14 and never looked back.

He made the best players in 8 out of his 10 matches at AFL level and impressed with his attack on the ball and improved work around the ground. He impressed most against Brisbane in Round 15, picking up 19 disposals and 22 hitouts and also against the Bulldogs in Round 22, beating another young Ruck in Jordan Roughead with 35 hitouts.

How Matthews career pans out is really up to him now. The first ruck is there for the taking with Brogan leaving, so Matt will get every chance to lay claim to that position over the pre season. He showed a good base to work from this year, but will need to improve his core strength and body positioning at stoppages to really step up a class.

k470up.jpg

Previous History
2008 – N/A
2009 – N/A
2010 – 33rd

Lobbe talks about his long injury lay-offs and praises the development of Broadbent, Brad & Moore as clearance winning midfielders.

Link

Lobbe Learns From Frustration

Matthew%20Lobbe361alc.jpg

HAVING suffered two serious injury setbacks since he was drafted in 2007, Port Adelaide ruckman Matthew Lobbe has the right to feel frustrated.

Lobbe (a No.16 draft pick) has managed just 14 games out of a possible 54 since he he made his debut in round five, 2010 against St Kilda.

Pre-season injuries to his shoulder and hip have seen Lobbe miss the first 13 rounds of both of the past two seasons.

But the 23-year-old said the frustration wore off quickly and that he had learned a lot in his time on the sidelines.

Link

Originally posted by Macca19

21st #23 MATTHEW LOBBE

29 Votes

262181.jpg

SANFL Reserves Stats:
Games: 4
Disposals: 47
Marks: 14
Best Players: 1

SANFL Stats:
Games: 3
Disposals: 35
Marks: 11
Goals: 0
Best Players: 0

VOTES:
BigFooty: 29 (21st)
Port: 4 (21st)
Toots: 12 (20th)
Rookie: 28 (11th)

AFL Stats:
Games: 9
Disposals: 93
Marks: 23
Contested Marks: 8
Clearances: 24
Tackles: 36
Inside50: 10
Rebound50: 4
Contested Possession: 53
Goals: 5
Goal Assists: 0
Best Players: 2

Notes:
Matthew suffered again through a lack of a pre season, missing the first month of the season with a hip injury before spending 2 months at SANFL level. He came into the side in the second half of the season and despite battling manfully, was well beaten on numerous occasions by an inability to get his hands near the ball. Its imperitive that the club does everything to keep Matthew fit this pre season. A strong pre season to build his core strength and fitness will give him the best chance of proving himself at AFL level.

lobbe.jpg

Power Pete

Cancelled
Jun 11, 2008
MORPHETT VALE
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
PAFC MAGPIES - NRL DRAGONS
Took these pics in the months of November and December in 2007. I think he's come a long way since first starting.

28thNov07072.jpg

28thNov07044.jpg

5thDec07087.jpg

Jan 14, 2008
Salisbury, Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Man City, NY Jets
Not sure if this has hit the mainstream media yet, but Matthew has successfully been adopted by a Greek Mother and Brazilian Father. He has lodged paper work to change his name as many before him have done, Jarred>Max Rooke, Bryan Harris>Lake, Harry O'Brien>What Ever, Ron Artest>Metta World Piece. However out of respect to both side of the adoption parents he will run with the Brazilian Standard single name and use a Greek name, Adonis.

#23 Adonis

Please Mods change title ASAP.

More recognition for Matt Lobbe. The write up makes me think of lion-hearted red-headed Port ruckman Paul Marrett who Fos Williams considered one of his great warriors.

Warrior Matt Lobbe
786216-49f1f866-957c-11e3-831f-628faee552fc.jpg

“THE harder I make it, the better he seems to respond.’’

With that line, Port Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley summed up his lionhearted ruckman Matthew Lobbe and gave an insight into just what makes the Power’s new ironman tick.

One season after igniting his career with a stellar second half of the year, Lobbe has again been left to carry the ruck mantle for the Power.
Warrior Matt Lobbe

Jan 14, 2008
Salisbury, Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide claim Showdown triumph with 55-point win over Adelaide Crows at new Adelaide Oval

"... Port's victory was well-deserved after they dominated early, while ruckman Matthew Lobbe became the answer to a trivia question when he kicked the first goal at the newly-completed oval just 76 seconds into the game ..." Showdown XXXVI, 29th March 2014

Port Adelaide claim Showdown triumph with 55-point win over Adelaide Crows at new Adelaide Oval
Pretty sure he kicked the first against Melbourne also!?

Jan 14, 2008
Salisbury, Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Don't remember but will trust you rather than try to hunt that up. Bonus points for us when we play that trivia game hey RIT?

Same as which Crow was the last to wear #19, all my Crows mates 'Scott Stevens' me 'Dangerfield' how woukd you know, you're a Port supporter... Next minute, we lost the night by a point!

Originally posted by Macca19

33rd. - 1 Vote

#23 MATTHEW LOBBE

393342.jpg

SANFL Stats (Ave):

Games: 2

Disposals: 15

Marks: 3

VOTES:

BigFooty: 1 (33rd)

Port: 49 (22nd)

Toots: 28 (16th)

AFL Stats:

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/M/Matthew_Lobbe.html

Notes:
Review by TeeKray
With the off season signing of Paddy Ryder giving a whole new look to our ruck division, it was always going to be a challenging year for Lobbes. Unfortunately, his form regressed on his 2014 output with most agreeing that being forced to share the ruck duties played a significant part. He was only able to pass the 10 disposal mark in 4 of his 17 matches and averaged less than 2 marks per game, a poor return. He often lacked presence at stoppages, highlighted by the mid season game against Geelong where Rhys Stanley and Mark Blicavs won clearance after clearance despite Lobbes winning a majority of the taps. In the end, he was dropped late in the season, a serious fall from grace for a vice captain who had led the ruck so valiantly in 2014. Lobbes faces a big challenge to regain his mantle as our number one ruckman, but Ken Hinkley has made it very clear that he is still in our plans and will be given plenty of opportunity to do so.

Back