Delisted #24: Alex Browne - Now at Northern Blues - Retired from footy - 2/5

Remove this Banner Ad

61762_3846293134655_1036564583_n.jpg

Playing Career (up to end of 2011 season):

Essendon Football Club (2011 - )
  • 2 games, 0 goals
Height:187cm
Weight: 85kg

• Pick #48, 2010 National Draft, from Oakleigh Chargers (TAC Cup)
Welcome to Essendon, Alex.

alexbrowne.jpg

Height: 187cm
Weight: 84kg
DOB: 09/08/92
Club: Oakleigh Chargers (Vic)

Kevin Sheehan says: Aggressive medium defender who reads the play very well and uses the ball effectively by hand and foot. Can push into the midfield and win his own ball. Was a Vic Metro under-18 representative in 2010 where he played three matches and averaged 15 disposals at 71 per cent efficiency.

Stats (aggregate for 2010 U18s National Championships)
Games K H D M G
H/O
3 21 24 45 8 0 0

In his own words
What type of player are you?
I'm aggressive at the ball, a run and carry link up player. I'm team oriented with good disposal.

Which AFL player do you feel you resemble and why?
Heath Shaw, because he attacks the ball, links up and uses the ball effectively.

What are your strengths as a footballer?
My disposal by hand and foot, reading of the play and being a team oriented player.

What parts of your game would you like to improve?
Increased fitness, tackling and playing with confidence.

Which AFL team do you support and how did you come to barrack for them?
Collingwood, because my dad played for them in the '80s.

Who has been the biggest influence on your career so far, and why?
My dad - he has coached me in juniors and now provides constructive feedback after games.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/101118/default.aspx

According to SEN:
- Strong leader of men
- Xavier college boy
- Rebounding HBF

Draft Camp Results:
- Repeat Sprint: 24.44 (Ranked 10th)

Essendon Player Profile

brow.jpg

THE ESSENTIAL INFORMATION
Height: 187cm
Weight: 84kg
Date of birth: 9/8/1992
Previous Club(s): Oakleigh Chargers
Recruited From: 2010 National Draft, selection 48

Recruited from the Oakleigh Chargers, Browne is renowned for his ability to read the play and has the ability to play across the backline or push into the midfield.

Essendon Player Profile

His father played for Collingwood and Alex obviously grew up supporting them.

Link

Family allegiance in Alex Browne's household not a Don deal
Tony Sheahan From: Sunday Herald Sun February 20, 2011 12:00AM
678914-alex-browne.jpg

FAMILY allegiances have been tested in the Browne household since teenager Alex's drafting to the red and black powerhouse of Essendon last November.

Alex's father, Murray, is a former Collingwood and Fitzroy footballer who played 53 VFL games spanning six seasons, while his mother, Lisa, was a former cheerleader for the Carlton Bluebirds.

"It is a bit strange," Essendon draftee Alex said. "We've already had a few debates over the dinner table, but I'm slowly persuading them to come to the Bombers."

But he has a tough job ahead of him. His father has just been elevated to role of president of the Collingwood Past Players Association, and is a lifelong Pies supporter.

He says he plays a similar style to his father.

"He'll probably say he was better (laughs), but we do play the same roles on the ground at half-back, as well as an occasional stint in the midfield," the 18-year-old said

Alex wore the Bombers' No.24 jumper for the first time on (last) Friday night against the Brisbane Lions.

Full article

Re: National Draft Selection #48 - Alex Browne

Heppell and Browne, defensive players who use the ball well. A line of thinking from the new coach perhaps?

Yeah, I read that Hirdy wants us to have a defence or something. Knights would never have stood for this wild change in gameplan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because great DEFENCE win Flags.

So West Coast had a great defence did they? Lats time I looked their flag was built around the fab 4 as they called them.

Michael Braun who would be our 2nd best midfielder.

Questionable, dropped off dramatically after the others broke down. I have big queries on the actual talent of depth players in successful teams.

So West Coast had a great defence did they? Lats time I looked their flag was built around the fab 4 as they called them.
Let's look at Premierships since '00:

EFC- Fletcher, Wellman etc
BLFC(01-03)-Michael, Leppistch etc
PAFC- unremarkable
SFC- Solid
WCFC-Glass, Wirra, Hunter
GFC- Really?
HFC- Croad, Birchall, Guerra, etc
CMFC-Shaw, Maxwell, O'Brien etc

Solid defences. all of them.

Solid defences. all of them.

It's hard to anaylse as we're unable to judge how much the respective midfields/gameplan extrapolated actual talent. IMO Hawthorn's, West Coasts and PA were nothing special.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back