Past #24: Levi Greenwood - officially traded to Collingwood FC for pick 25 (2014) - retires rd16 2021 due to concussion symptoms - go well Pig

Remove this Banner Ad

"THE TRADE that will see North Melbourne midfielder Levi Greenwood join Collingwood will likely be completed on Wednesday, says his manager Liam Pickering.
Greenwood is set to cross from Arden Street in exchange for pick No. 25 at the NAB AFL Draft, which the Magpies will receive from the Brisbane Lions as part of the Dayne Beams trade.
Pickering said it was simply a matter of time before the paperwork to secure Greenwood was lodged.

I hate Pickering. I wonder how much commissions does he receive on a trade like Greenback?

All mangers are the same only care about the $$$$

Can't blame it on his manager too much. If Greenwood didn't want to leave North, he'd still be here.

He is a blight on the game. And he doesn't even play the game.

Naturally he is the one who is managing Boyd and about to stitch up the GWS on this. If the 4% is right and the Dogs pay him $6m over 6 yeasr then that's jst the small figure of $240k.

Parasite.

They're all the same really - Connors has just made $160k on the beams deal if the rumoured figures of $800k per year / 5 years are correct and he's about to make a killing on the Ryder deal as well. Agents are the only party involved that is guaranteed to never lose when they have a player on their books switch clubs.

He is a blight on the game. And he doesn't even play the game.

Naturally he is the one who is managing Boyd and about to stitch up the GWS on this. If the 4% is right and the Dogs pay him $6m over 6 yeasr then that's jst the small figure of $240k.

Parasite.

Hate to break it to you but if he gets his player $6m over 6 years, Boyd will NOT be calling him a parasite!

Greenhead got a massive offer (the things I'd do for $1.8m......) and took it, which is fair enough. He hasn't postured in the media or failed to attend our B&F so it's hard to get too p1$$ed off at him, and if we get almost evens for him then my feeling is "no foul, play on". I won't enjoy watching him wear that $h1tty Collingslop guernsey, but as I said, I'd do worse for $1.8m.

Here's hoping we win flags and our draft picks succeed and it turns into a Naffan Buckley scenario where they turned their back on us, and in doing so cost themselves a premiership or two. By then, if it happens, it'll be a case of Levi Who?

And as for Pickering, who cares? He isn't the guy who decided to change clubs, Levi is, he just facilitated the deal. His dealing with Boyd on the other hand appears much more underhanded and conniving.

It is what it is, he is gone. I'd like to think we can learn from the experience and find a way to strength the bonds between the players and the club but shopping Harper around for Cooney I am guessing isn't going to do that.

We will really feel it if players critical for the 5+ year mark start leaving due to a lack of need to show any patience or loyalty.

I want the club to operate sensibly. They know what's in the draft and they know the practical difference between having picks 16, 25 and 36 and picks 16, 36 and 56 and how costly a "statement" would be. They have spoken a lot with Levi and Pickering, and with Collingwood and other clubs, and know what they are likely to do.

North has overpaid for players coming in before, but I wouldn't have thought our record on players leaving was particularly bad - not many we want do it, and the compensation has been pretty fair. I also struggle to think of clubs that wind up better off if they treat leaving players badly. Give me Port, I'll give you St Kilda. Be a reasonable employer and that sends messages too - maybe it's one of the reasons why free agents like the prospect of coming across. But the immediate issue is our drafting position this year - I'll trust the club to make it as strong as they can to get the players they want.

One thing that I do think has changed in say the last 2 trade seasons is that players are more open to move. Every player has his own different situation, i.e. where the club he is at is(player list wise) , the players age , what position he plays (is he that vital key to a potential premiers threat). Sure we may build a fantastic environment at the club, but Waite and Higgins have come to us for different reasons and Levi has left because Collingwood were offering more coin. I'd be surprise if we keep gun players from now on if we aren't vying for a flag, and we're paying unders for some of them.

Im curious to know, do you guys think we seriously looked at Boyd i.e. longterm value against Waite short term value??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Boyds not going to be showing promise for a few seasons yet. Big key forwards like him generally dont come on till their 22/23 odd. We seen how long it took Tom Hawkins to come good.

I dont think we looked at him and tbh I would be pretty dissappointed if the club thought about making him an offer, even around the bulldogs offer. WE do need a key forward but not a 19 year old at 750K. I'd be happy if we got him but not at that sort of money.

Excellent, we get a pick a few spots better than the one we used to get him

And the picks used that dont work out, dont worry

the AFL fives us free picks every year to make up for them.

What sort of player would 16 get us if Greenwood is worth 25?

We really should spend it to replace him, we'd get someone twice as good as Greenwood. Wowee....Wines, Selwood?

Nah didnt think so.
I still think we're saving for a big hit next year.

It is what it is, he is gone. I'd like to think we can learn from the experience and find a way to strength the bonds between the players and the club but shopping Harper around for Cooney I am guessing isn't going to do that.

We will really feel it if players critical for the 5+ year mark start leaving due to a lack of need to show any patience or loyalty.
If some of Harper's performances in VFL were not worthy of VFL senior selection, then loyalty from the club is hardly warranted. Since his ankle surgeries he simply hasn't proved that he is AFL quality.

Yes we are.

The facts are that there are managers and there are managers.

And Pickering is just a straight out a*******.

Have a look at his history and it is the same every time.

Parasite.
We did boot him of to Geelong there may be some enjoyment on his behalf to stick us when he has the chance. I always rated him as a decent player even a gun cricketer from reports.

And you of course believe he is just motivated by that?

Hahaha

He is nothing but a parasite.
Throwing your clients name around and linking them to multiple clubs is an extremely common agent/manager tactic, and will usually result in something above market value.

I'm surprised you're so disgusted about the profession. Unless Pickering has done something specific to earn your ire.

It's not the 90s any more. TV deals will get larger, salary caps will get larger, and top end talent will seek true value. We can either adjust according to the times, or act like petulant children and throw a temper tantrum every time a player wants to shop themselves around

If some of Harper's performances in VFL were not worthy of VFL senior selection, then loyalty from the club is hardly warranted. Since his ankle surgeries he simply hasn't proved that he is AFL quality.

Are you trying to convince me or yourself? His development was horseshit, coaches who flush players like that down the toilet should be moved on. Yeah, he stunk as a run with midfielder, but he wasn't recruited for that role, never played that role. Greenwood was s**t playing the s**t roles he was forced to play as well, but he was good at hunting the ball. Greenwood is gone now, he wasn't even given the opportunity to become the best he could be, even this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back