Delisted #25: Ariel Steinberg

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd put Berger on Goodes, Fletch on Buddy (just because he's the only one not to have been killed by him) and Hurley on Reid tbh
I dont mind Berger on Goodes, he could go with him physically but Fletch on Buddy I'm not so sure about. Dont think that would last too long. When was the last time he played on and beat a power forward of that quality?

sooo then Hurley-Buddy?
Steiny - Reid?
Fletch - Goodes?

From what i've seen of Steiny I'd be worried about him on Reid. Reid is pretty athletic and seems to wander up the ground a fair bit. From what I've seen of the VFL, the Berg gets a little lost outside the 50 and loses his man easily. Some call it 'zoning off', I'm not so sure.

How is it getting lost when he ends up taking an intercept mark while his opponent has no impact on the contest? He basically plays the same way Hooker does.

How is it getting lost when he ends up taking an intercept mark while his opponent has no impact on the contest? He basically plays the same way Hooker does.
I've only seen 2 VFL games so take my comments with a grain. From what I saw he zoned off quite a bit. He took some great intercept marks, but also took more risks than Hooker, coming off his man at inappropriate times and getting caught out. Mainly in the Tigers game at Punt.
Like I said, just what I saw on limited evidence.

Fletcher will either play on Tippet or Goodes. Fletch nearly finished Goodes career last time, but with Hooker likely to get Buddy, we can swing Fletch onto Tippett and hurley can take Reid who tends to float around the ground.

Hurley got spanked last time

Hurley got spanked last time but Carlisle got ******* mauled in 2013 and Hooker will have the same problems Carlisle had. Hurley is the best option which is unfortunate.

You only have to look at the way Ted Richards used to play Buddy (being similarly undersized). You need the balance between being his shadow but not over-committing so that he can't turn you as easily (because he will do it). It's the latter part that causes Hurley problems more than the marking duels (Franklin has been bossing everyone all year) because Hurley still hasn't got his timing right as far as attacking the ball in the air is concerned.

Think there is a quite a large misconception about Franklin's marking. He may not take pack marks like Carlisle but he's always been a very good in a one on one test of strength. He is an absolute brute of a player.

Hurley got spanked last time but Carlisle got ******* mauled in 2013 and Hooker will have the same problems Carlisle had. Hurley is the best option which is unfortunate.

You only have to look at the way Ted Richards used to play Buddy (being similarly undersized). You need the balance between being his shadow but not over-committing so that he can't turn you as easily (because he will do it). It's the latter part that causes Hurley problems more than the marking duels (Franklin has been bossing everyone all year) because Hurley still hasn't got his timing right as far as attacking the ball in the air is concerned.

Think there is a quite a large misconception about Franklin's marking. He may not take pack marks like Carlisle but he's always been a very good in a one on one test of strength. He is an absolute brute of a player.

Richards always had problems with Buddy. Buddy came off his 6 week suspension in 2012, and first up destroyed Richards who was AA in that year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hurley to wear Franklin all game, Fletch to play loose man 10 meters in front of him? Possibly get someone else to play on him also if required :rolleyes:

Match-ups are important but unless you stop quick supply to their forward line, it's not going to matter. Our guys are very good at helping each other out, but that requires the ball to be coming under pressure from upfield.

Changing that thread title made me quite happy.

The bloke has toiled four years, been demoted, and finally he's getting a gig. He's been great in the VFL this year so he's really earned it.

Well done Ariel. Now go chug down some COLA and smash them.

Be crazy to play him forward seeing he's played back all year at VFL level. If he comes in then it may mean Fletch is rested or its almost done.

Very solid unit these days. Only issue is his lack of pace may kill him at AFL level. Nick Maxwell is a similar type that forged a career so you never say never.

Good luck to the kid.

So he's playing then! So forward maybe?
I totally forgot that he is also a forward! He has been so prominent playing in the backline... On one hand i would really like to see how he might go down back, but then on the other hand we really don't want to mess with the backline. So yeah, forward i guess.

Be crazy to play him forward seeing he's played back all year at VFL level. If he comes in then it may mean Fletch is rested or its almost done.

Very solid unit these days. Only issue is his lack of pace may kill him at AFL level. Nick Maxwell is a similar type that forged a career so you never say never.

Good luck to the kid.
Probably couldn't see Fletch playing up forward- so you could be right about him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back