Delisted #25: Ariel Steinberg

Remove this Banner Ad

Clearly cost us the game IMO, but I don't think that in anyway his 3rd game will reflect his career.

I would have thought letting North's vast array of plodders steam through the middle of the MCG and hit Brown flush on the chest would be the part that cost us the game personally...

I wouldn't say he played well, but i'm not writing him off after that

Shame.. I can see this performance creating a noose around the kids neck.. a bit like a Zac Dawson.. might take 5 great years to get rid of the tag.

The really stupid thing? It wasn't really his fault.. it was the coaches fault for not moving him sooner.. but at the end of the day.. whether the goals were soft or whatever.. he got beaten in about 75% of the contests he was in and it really hurt our chances.

Just wasn't good enough, tall enough to compete with Brown tonight. Effort was 100% though.. and you keep thinking there is enough 'clay' there to make something.. just not sure what.

I don't think it is all because of the goals he got kicked on him, he was clearly out of his depth tonight but it is finals footy and he is in his 3rd game. My problem with him is his positioning in or the lead up to a contest, he moves to the wrong spots and gets himself out of position and to put it nicely his disposal is s**t.
I can't ever see him being a regular backman in the 1's and if Pears can even get back half the form he showed before losing the plot then he will be sitting behind him in the magoos as a top up player for the rest of his career.

His disposal really is bad.. putrid and bad. Can't believe I didn't notice it more at VFL level..

Can't hit a target more than 15m away to save himself.. and no certainty over 15m either.. handballing isn't much better too.

His disposal was far and away better this week and he hit multiple targets with long kicks. Two clangers for the night, one of which was the free against. The game was only a few hours ago, how the * are people already fudging their memory so they can stick the boots in further?

Was a terrible inclusion and whilst it is bad to blame one player, he didn't help. He made Brown look like the second coming of Buddy Franklin for crying out loud! Luckily I had a lot of drinks prior so I won't remember the match lol!

His disposal was far and away better this week and he hit multiple targets with long kicks. Two clangers for the night, one of which was the free against. The game was only a few hours ago, how the **** are people already fudging their memory so they can stick the boots in further?
63.6% disposal efficiency would suggest otherwise.

Put another way.. he hits 2 out of 3 targets.. which just isn't good enough at this level. To put into perspective.. compared to the other backline players: Hooker was 100%, Hurley 85%, Baguley 95%, Hibberd (who had a stinker) at 79%, Dempsey was at 100%... you get the picture.

63.6% disposal efficiency would suggest otherwise.

Put another way.. he hits 2 out of 3 targets.. which just isn't good enough at this level. To put into perspective.. compared to the other backline players: Hooker was 100%, Hurley 85%, Baguley 95%, Hibberd (who had a stinker) at 79%, Dempsey was at 100%... you get the picture.

We dropped Ambrose for him too, don't get it. Game was lost at the selection table.

His disposal really is bad.. putrid and bad. Can't believe I didn't notice it more at VFL level..

Can't hit a target more than 15m away to save himself.. and no certainty over 15m either.. handballing isn't much better too.

It's because in the VFL he's got that half a second to assess, and ususally take the easier option. It's not a matter of him not actually being able to kick skill wise, it's about him sometimes biting off more than he can chew and rushing because he hasn't fully acclimated to the speed of AFL footy.

At one point Hooker was exactly the same, and Bags was even worse because even in the 2s I saw him as a dodgy kick, let alone in the seniors.

He's pretty intelligent and apparently very coachable, so it's something that can definitely be ironed out

It's because in the VFL he's got that half a second to assess, and ususally take the easier option. It's not a matter of him not actually being able to kick skill wise, it's about him sometimes biting off more than he can chew and rushing because he hasn't fully acclimated to the speed of AFL footy.

At one point Hooker was exactly the same, and Bags was even worse because even in the 2s I saw him as a dodgy kick, let alone in the seniors.

He's pretty intelligent and apparently very coachable, so it's something that can definitely be ironed out
I hope so, and I hope he turns into a 200 game player, but he has a long way to go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah. I am not suggesting it was anything other than a bad night/learning experience. We have seen enough to suggest he can be a good defender.

My issues were around the coaching moves.. rather than Steinberg as a player.

My issues were around the coaching moves.. rather than Steinberg as a player.

This, especially in a final. Firstly we drop Ambrose...then we have Gleeson (who I love) start the match. Then to compound things we have the roving truck at FF Bellchambers!

This, especially in a final. Firstly we drop Ambrose...then we have Gleeson (who I love) start the match. Then to compound things we have the roving truck at FF Bellchambers!
2nd Elimination Final: North Melbourne vs Essendon, MCG, Saturday 6th of September, 7.15PM

I 'liked' your thoughts before the game.. and every single one came true.

We lost this game at selection.. which is worse when you consider that some of us could see it on Thursday. What a wasted opportunity.

Don't get me started on the sub selection.. but we shouldn't be surprised.. Bomber hasn't used one well all year.

SO when Dempsey is half done and rusty.. he starts on the ground.. but during a final he starts on the pine?! Man.. man oh man.

North are an inside, contested ball club.. Gleeson had struggled since his return from injury.. was always going to struggle with the step up. At least if he was sub.. he could have had extra run in the legs. Dempsey is a touch and confidence player.. and never got into the game.

2nd Elimination Final: North Melbourne vs Essendon, MCG, Saturday 6th of September, 7.15PM

I 'liked' your thoughts before the game.. and every single one came true.

We lost this game at selection.. which is worse when you consider that some of us could see it on Thursday. What a wasted opportunity.

Pretty much, and I could see it a mile off, we were too slow. If we are going to drop Ambrose surely we had to go small, and pick Winders or even Watson forward. Bellchambers gave me little confidence, and tonight was just another putrid game. Why bring Steinberg in when he hasn't played all year and when he did he looked average to poor.

Don't get me started on the sub selection.. but we shouldn't be surprised.. Bomber hasn't used one well all year.

SO when Dempsey is half done and rusty.. he starts on the ground.. but during a final he starts on the pine?! Man.. man oh man.

North are an inside, contested ball club.. Gleeson had struggled since his return from injury.. was always going to struggle with the step up. At least if he was sub.. he could have had extra run in the legs. Dempsey is a touch and confidence player.. and never got into the game.

Dead set I would have rather gambled on Carlile than pick Dempsey as the sub it made stupidly zero sense! Bomber topped his 'worst sub of 2014' in a final. I mean we all love him but his sub selections have been horrid all year.

His disposal was far and away better this week and he hit multiple targets with long kicks. Two clangers for the night, one of which was the free against. The game was only a few hours ago, how the **** are people already fudging their memory so they can stick the boots in further?

Exactly, his disposals were markedly improved on previous games. Yes he got caught out in the 2nd half, would have helped his cause though if a few of those in the middle of the ground didn't go MIA pressure wise...

3rd game player has a mixed bag in a final! Well I never.

I wouldn't blame Steiny on us losing thought he was OK - his best performance... pretty hard to stop a leading forward when they are getting lace out delivery...

Was the wrong matchup for Brown but has looked too shaky for mine. Should have been Black who's been putrid all year.

That said we have no other choice but to give him another year as backup unless another AFL club wants him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back