Retired 25. Jared Rivers (2013- 2015)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How have we done that? Due to finishing top 8 and the compo picks pushing the order back, we only ever had 2 picks in the first 50 anyway, and we've got three players in while keeping our 1st pick. Caddy was got very much at a value price, McIntosh was for a late second rounder and Rivers cost us nothing. Now only time will tell whether the players make the contribution we hope they will, but you can't question the price paid at this point in time-we've paid very low prices IMO.

Agree completely.
We have got a best 22 which will be genuinely competitive next year (including, effectively 6 recruits to replace the one retiree), coupled with a list of at least 8 young back-ups to cover for injuries and, at the same time, replace the players as they retire from 2013-2015

I think this will go down as one of the better (if not the best after Goddard) FA pick ups this year.
Bias aside, I've had a high opinion of Rivers for a long time and was ecstatic when suggestions were forwarded about our interest. He'll fit in nicely playing on the 3rd best forward and will be an asset down back for the club.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he recently finish 4th in Melbourne's B&F, which proves he's still playing good football, albeit in a poor side.

Crikey, you do live dangerously.
First South Australia is all country area.
And now Geelong is "comically quaint".
The difference is that Geelong is not a capital city. I recently spent a week in Adelaide and found it to be much like Geelong (although with much more suburban sprawl) in terms of population density in the CBD, lack of genuine skyscrapers, traffic and demeanor of the locals. In contrast I went to Sydney for a few days after that and felt swallowed up - despite the closing gap between Melbourne and Sydney's overall populations, Sydney feels much bigger with the whole "we built stuff on top of stuff" vibe, the way nobody gives a s**t about who you are or what you look like... And of course the double-decker trains that run more closely to schedule. I must admit even Melbourne felt backwards to me after that.

Depth wins premierships. And the one thing we have added this year is depth and experience - at little or no cost other than list spaces. We have attracted players from outside the club to us - which has not been a strong suit of ours - not for want of trying - and they have seemingly bought into the Geelong way.

Sure HMAc is on a big one this year but his average for the 3 yrs wil be par with his experience. Rivers cost us $$ only and will again be on par. Caddy might be a bit higher but also has much further to go in his career and probably fills the greatest need of providing some help to Sel. Not that Sel necessarily needs it right now but in terms of career longevity the sooner he gets help the better.

We have kept, so far, all of out rucks to develop further and not lost any kids coming through. Even Big O might, having just won a flag want to re commit to the VFL on a decent rate for that competition and take 5 VFL flags in his career. Not to shabby really.

I think the kids see the near future landscape as fruitful too - particularly given what they have seen and what the likes of Jimmy, Chappy, Moons etc have told them. Laidler could not get a game and left. He got games and missed the finals - and I don't see Carlton gettting much closer next year.

The grass may seem greener on the other side, but is it really? i think our retention of players that could chase opportunities elsewhere is indicative of the internal perception of where the club is going... and it aint really down...

Go Catters

The difference is that Geelong is not a capital city. I recently spent a week in Adelaide and found it to be much like Geelong (although with much more suburban sprawl) in terms of population density in the CBD, lack of genuine skyscrapers, traffic and demeanor of the locals. In contrast I went to Sydney for a few days after that and felt swallowed up - despite the closing gap between Melbourne and Sydney's overall populations, Sydney feels much bigger with the whole "we built stuff on top of stuff" vibe, the way nobody gives a s**t about who you are or what you look like... And of course the double-decker trains that run more closely to schedule. I must admit even Melbourne felt backwards to me after that.

SA is all country.
Geelong is comically quaint.
And now Melbourne is backward.
Better stop digging, mate.

SA is all country.
SA is all country.

My opinions aren't unequivocal facts, but they are my reality. I'm not sure what consequences these opinions are going to have that would necessitate me to "stop digging". If anything you are trying to be offended by something you don't really care about.

My opinions aren't unequivocal facts, but they are my reality. I'm not sure what consequences these opinions are going to have that would necessitate me to "stop digging". If anything you are trying to be offended by something you don't really care about.

Sorry, I was only joking all the way through, and I wasn't offended or trying to be offended by anything.
I should remember to use smilies more often.
Mea culpa.

Bias aside, I've had a high opinion of Rivers for a long time and was ecstatic when suggestions were forwarded about our interest. He'll fit in nicely playing on the 3rd best forward and will be an asset down back for the club.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he recently finish 4th in Melbourne's B&F, which proves he's still playing good football, albeit in a poor side.

I agree , Rivers is a first class choice.
I would take him well ahead of Chaplin , Gilham and Lake - all of whom we would have presumably looked at.
Lake is a great player but at 31 and I would suggest a suspect mental strength we were spot on going for Rivers.
He has perfromed admirably in a very ordinary unit and is one that hasn't dropped his head or thrown in the towel. I reckon he will quickly become a crowd favorite at the Cattery !!

I agree , Rivers is a first class choice.
I would take him well ahead of Chaplin , Gilham and Lake - all of whom we would have presumably looked at.
Lake is a great player but at 31 and I would suggest a suspect mental strength we were spot on going for Rivers.
He has perfromed admirably in a very ordinary unit and is one that hasn't dropped his head or thrown in the towel. I reckon he will quickly become a crowd favorite at the Cattery !!
I agree and my sister is a Melbourne supporter and she was shattered to see him go. He was her fav player, she rated him extremely high, and she also has great knowledge of the game.

I agree and my sister is a Melbourne supporter and she was shattered to see him go. He was her fav player, she rated him extremely high, and she also has great knowledge of the game.
Similar experience MD , work colleague is a die hard Dees man and also played WAFL for several years ( is also a Supercoach guru !! ) He rates Rivers massively and is gutted he has left. If he can keep it going for the next 2-3 years we will have done extraordinarily well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you mean she agrees with you about things football?

She probably outpoints me in areas of football.

I know how the post sounded but I wasn't at all implying that I had a great knowledge of the game. Her knowledge of life in general is coupled with her knowledge of football.

If that makes sense.

It's not not not even noon on our side of the world!

Good article here.

And I loved this comment :D

The Geelong defenders shared the ball among themselves with such precision and coherence, and a disregard for whatever Adelaide was able to throw at them, that Rivers could have been excused for giggling throughout the course of the game.
You could almost see him thinking, ''How long has this been going on"? as the memory of consistent 10-goal floggings at Melbourne began to fade into the background.

Very good article.

Been really happy with Rivers application on the track, and has looked at home in our defence during the NAB.

Looking forward to seeing him start in the real stuff as I think he'll be a really good acquisition for us this year.

Can't believe you took Rivers and gave us ******* Byrnes and Gillies.

Good operating on your behalf, Geelong.

Yep, some of us are still giggling about that one.

always liked rivers even in melb.. he wasn't used properly now he can be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back