Status
Not open for further replies.

kimodgers

Senior List
Jun 16, 2010
NSW
AFL Club
Geelong
Depends whether we are satisfied with finishing 6th or so over the next few years. Better to draw breath, arm up again, take a little pain in the short term, and have a full and fresh crack at the premiership 2015+.
Remember pre 2004? Plan A "play the kids". Plan B "refer to Plan A"
I would rather finish outside the "eight" for a few years while following a plan to stock up with the best of the emerging best.
We seem to be now hacking the same path as other great sides of recent decades that tried to stay on top just by plugging up those leaks left by retired greats with adequate replacements. All these teams achieved in the end was to construct a side of "adequate replacements" - routinely finishing 6th or so, no better.
I'm a little puzzled why we have turned our back on the draft in a year when the talent pool is very high. Pick 15 is it. Two other high picks to our opposition (have I got that right?).
I'm sure we will win more games than we loose between 2013 and 2015, but is that enough? It isn't for me. Its about premierships.

Jmac2225

Club Legend
Jun 6, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Depends whether we are satisfied with finishing 6th or so over the next few years. Better to draw breath, arm up again, take a little pain in the short term, and have a full and fresh crack at the premiership 2015+.
I would rather finish outside the "eight" for a few years while following a plan to stock up with the best of the emerging best.
We seem to be now hacking the same path as other great sides of recent decades that tried to stay on top just by plugging up those leaks left by retired greats with adequate replacements. All these teams achieved in the end was to construct a side of "adequate replacements" - routinely finishing 6th or so, no better.
I'm a little puzzled why we have turned our back on the draft in a year when the talent pool is very high. Pick 15 is it. Two other high picks to our opposition (have I got that right?).
I'm sure we will win more games than we loose between 2013 and 2015, but is that enough? It isn't for me. Its about premierships.
The flaw in your theory is what if the kids don't come along as we expect. This is a variable which there is no way of predicting.

I think the club has made a good call reloading now as by 2015 we won't have most of JC, Chapman, Enright, Pods and Hunt and guys like SJ, Kelly, Bartel and Lonergan may be on there last legs.

There is no way of knowing the guys who come in to fill their spots will be as good as these blokes. Actually considering the quality of the players mentioned it would be a miracle if they did.

Jmac2225

Club Legend
Jun 6, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Also on Rivers. Someone told me (a melbourne suppoter) yesterday he has played a lot forward and even had stints in the midfield this year. Is this right if so he must be fairly mobile for his size and could also play the Mackie role at half back releasing Mackie to the Wing/HFF to be more damaging as we seen him do occasionally this year.

manboob

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Feb 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
#rompingwins
All those worried about drafting older players. It's a pretty simple equation: if the kids are good enough they will knock them out of the side and take their place. Playing players who haven't earned their spot on merit only ends in tears and a shitty culture.

Even so, I'd rather one or two kids miss out on a spot in the team and have eight others playing finals than having 10 playing just the home and away games.

footscore

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 1, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
The flaw in your theory is what if the kids don't come along as we expect. This is a variable which there is no way of predicting.

I think the club has made a good call reloading now as by 2015 we won't have most of JC, Chapman, Enright, Pods and Hunt and guys like SJ, Kelly, Bartel and Lonergan may be on there last legs.

There is no way of knowing the guys who come in to fill their spots will be as good as these blokes. Actually considering the quality of the players mentioned it would be a miracle if they did.

very good point which is why we should just sit back and lap up the current champs as much as possible.
As you say, variables of kids coming through and becoming something special is impossible to register,
the word is used rarely and for good reason but once in a generation players is something I would tag the likes of Johnson, Enright, Scarlett, Ablett, Bartel, Corey and then it gets slim from there but even players like Ottens & Ling do not come around all that often....to perform at such a high level for such a long period of time :)
we been well and truly spoiled after much turmoil through the 80's & 90's and watching these blokes come through and literally change the way the game is played (for a good period of time) by using their best assets, just amazing!

manboob

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
#rompingwins
Agree with everything you said footscore.
ManMilkingCow.jpg

footscore

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 1, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
sux that the AFL got pissed and wanted more $$$ and did their best to break us down again.
Hopefully latest acquisitions along with some talented young guns coming through, we s**t em up the wall again :thumbsu:

kimodgers

Senior List
Jun 16, 2010
NSW
AFL Club
Geelong

Yeah, I can see that. Fair point.
The danger is that if we try and squeeze out another premiership while Bartel, Kelly & co are on board but we don't make it, we will then need to replace these stars plus the "top ups" (+25yo) at the same time. Harder ask IMO.
But I think you are right on balance.

footscore

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 1, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
anytime boob ;)
I haven't been milked in a while either so you free to do me if you wanted.

actually........that doesn't sound right :oops:

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah, I can see that. Fair point.
The danger is that if we try and squeeze out another premiership while Bartel, Kelly & co are on board but we don't make it, we will then need to replace these stars plus the "top ups" (+25yo) at the same time. Harder ask IMO.
But I think you are right on balance.

The guy that juggle's chainsaws probably has an easier job than trying to balance the bias of now and future at Geelong.

We have somehow , to the amazement of all the "Chicken Little's" , accumulated enough youthful talent to build another group. This was done while we have been having winning seasons the like of which have rarely been seen. Been done by a group of players that have brought us from a desert to an oasis of respect. Its been done so well that the vast majority of these players are still cappable of winning a flag again.

Im sure watching that last day in Sept , the MC would have been thinking that both sides would not have wanted to play us on that day. Our problem was not being able to get there. We were so pushed in some key areas thru the year , that we played the timing game a little cutely. With more depth , more talent , hopefully we can go back to getting wins on the board and positioning ourselves for an A grade Sept chance.

The comp is so close the chance of ever having a team like we have assembled..ever again is remote. The club should do what it has to do to maximize these guns we have while they still have great games still in them.

There may be a tipping point , it will be dependent on the ability to cover losses and the gradual insertion of our young turks and their ability to step up. For example Duncan , Christensen are all now a mainstay. When a new kid comes in and demands selection , the older guys will gradually be set aside. For the moment , while Bartel, Kelly, Hunt, SJ, Chapman, Mackie,Lonergan etc have the ability to perform , I have no problem at all with topping up to go for another flag

LifeSpan-Void

So, you’re leaving.
Jun 7, 2005
The belly of a snake
AFL Club
Geelong
Very happy to get Rivers. The most exciting thing with Rivers is -if you look at his birth certificate-it says place of Birth -Pt Augusta -another South Aussie . South Australia has been Pure Gold for Geelong -in this great era for the club.

Lets count em
(1) Harley
(2) Ottens
(3) Enright
(4) Stokes
(5) Mackie
(6) Varcoe
(7) Menzell
(8) Murdoch
(9) Motlop
(10) Stringer
(11) Rivers

Talk about the magnificent Eleven -and ive probably missed a couple

I suspect that it is a calculated move to recruit heavily from country areas, as I'm sure metropolitan kids must feel more underwhelmed by Geelong as a town than a 19 year old from, say, Kimba SA or any of the towns in Gippsland. Geelong generally seems to avoid "go home factor" from required players.

footscore

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 1, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Hamish looks like he's on stilts :D

Rivers is 6ft'4 but still some considerable size difference

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
I suspect that it is a calculated move to recruit heavily from country areas, as I'm sure metropolitan kids must feel more underwhelmed by Geelong as a town than a 19 year old from, say, Kimba SA or any of the towns in Gippsland. Geelong generally seems to avoid "go home factor" from required players.

Are you saying that "South Australia" is a country area?

maxy87

Club Legend
Feb 3, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Possibly, though Varcoe, Menzel, Mackie, GHS, Harley are from metropolitan Adelaide. I'm not sure the "go home" factor is as strong with SA boys (maybe particularly country lads as you say) as its an exciting lifestyle playing AFL footy in Victoria, especially if you're being looked after and in a successful team. I'd agree with you in saying Geelong has a similar feel to Adelaide which could help as well. I say FEEL because Adelaide does have 5x the population of Geelong, a sprinkling a high rise in its CBD as opposed to Geelong, though I agree Adelaide is very quaint in some ways and some of the lifestyle aspects of Adelaide can be very easily emulated at enjoyed in Geelong.

Jul 27, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
South Adelaide Panthers
Possibly, though Varcoe, Menzel, Mackie, GHS, Harley are from metropolitan Adelaide. I'm not sure the "go home" factor is as strong with SA boys (maybe particularly country lads as you say) as its an exciting lifestyle playing AFL footy in Victoria, especially if you're being looked after and in a successful team. I'd agree with you in saying Geelong has a similar feel to Adelaide which could help as well. I say FEEL because Adelaide does have 5x the population of Geelong, a sprinkling a high rise in its CBD as opposed to Geelong, though I agree Adelaide is very quaint in some ways and some of the lifestyle aspects of Adelaide can be very easily emulated at enjoyed in Geelong.
I lived in Geelong for two decades (born and bred there) and Adelaide for nearly one. In some ways it feels like Geelong and in others they are poles apart. It really is the happy medium between a regional city and a large city like Melbourne. Never having been to Perth, I am sure it has a feel not too dissimilar to Adelaide in that regard.

It really is great that a regional town like Geelong can exist in a highly competitive professional sporting league in the 21st century. Not only the obvious benefits that it brings to the town and greater region, but the opportunity that it gives those country players fortunate enough to be drafted by us the opportunites of a professional sporting club without the hustle and bustle of the big smoke. If it were not for the existence of the GFC Gary Ablett Snr would have been Myrtlefords best player through the 80's and 90's.

How have we done that? Due to finishing top 8 and the compo picks pushing the order back, we only ever had 2 picks in the first 50 anyway, and we've got three players in while keeping our 1st pick. Caddy was got very much at a value price, McIntosh was for a late second rounder and Rivers cost us nothing. Now only time will tell whether the players make the contribution we hope they will, but you can't question the price paid at this point in time-we've paid very low prices IMO.

manboob

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
#rompingwins
Caddy is a good as drafting a young gun, it's just that the Gold Coast has done the necessary due diligence for us :thumbsu:. It's all very good and well saying its a good draft crop, which I hear every ******* year, when we didn't elect to use the priority pick this year anyway. Basically we were stuck with pick 15/6 and pick 40. I think "turning our back" on the draft was a smart move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back