Past #25: Robbie Tarrant - traded to RFC for CCJ&picks - 2yr deal at RFC - 174 NM games/44 NM goals - retires 13/7/23 effective immediately

Saintly31

Cancelled
Apr 2, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Is defence just easier?

Tarrant, struggles forward. Smashes it as a defender.
Hansen, stagnated forward. Our most important player in defence.
Petrie, whenever he goes into defence, he looks awesome.

Is it easier there, or are our former forwards turned defenders just illustrating how well the other team deliver the ball, and how they wish ours would do the same?

Of course it's easier mate. Poor fwds regularly make handy defenders at any level. It's much easier to spoil and be reactive, than be proactive, get the ball and mark under pressure when it's coming at you.

High quality defenders though such as your Scarlett/Rutten/Glass/Taylor types (in previous years I mean) are worth plenty but are a rare beast.

Tarrant has a new role and that's fine with me, because he doesn't get a game otherwise. His role (and Hansen's who equally was poor up fwd) is ok for mine as limited players, but it works and seems to be maximizing what we can get from them. It's disappointing they aren't anything more, but it is what it is.

BlueRoos

Club Legend
Feb 13, 2007
Arden Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Can't believe we kept Tarrant and got rid of pedo. LOL list manager

upload_2015-5-24_18-56-23.jpeg

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Of course it's easier mate. Poor fwds regularly make handy defenders at any level. It's much easier to spoil and be reactive, than be proactive, get the ball and mark under pressure when it's coming at you.

High quality defenders though such as your Scarlett/Rutten/Glass/Taylor types (in previous years I mean) are worth plenty but are a rare beast.

Tarrant has a new role and that's fine with me, because he doesn't get a game otherwise. His role (and Hansen's who equally was poor up fwd) is ok for mine as limited players, but it works and seems to be maximizing what we can get from them. It's disappointing they aren't anything more, but it is what it is.

Taylor was the only in that list who imo may have been able to parlay his talent into being an effective forward.

Jakovich-Carey was the ultimate example of how much better key forwards need to be than their defenders.

Black2Blue

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Our defense has been standing up remarkably well considering we are consistently reamed on the inside-50 count. Tarrant, Wright, Firrito, Jacobs, and more recently Hansen and Thompson, have been among our better performers.

Im surprised the defenders are talking to the mids these days. Must be biting their lips seeing blokes in front of them not working hard enough without ball in hand.

Theyd certainly all have nervous twitches at centre bounces!
Id be absolutely filthy. Wonder who is game to put the onus on them.

Deadeyeroo

Cancelled
May 18, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Is defence just easier?

Tarrant, struggles forward. Smashes it as a defender.
Hansen, stagnated forward. Our most important player in defence.
Petrie, whenever he goes into defence, he looks awesome.

Is it easier there, or are our former forwards turned defenders just illustrating how well the other team deliver the ball, and how they wish ours would do the same?

Yep our defenders have been performing well. Its our mids and forwards who are the problem.

Phillyroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles Baby
Prefer to wait and see how he goes for the next 6 weeks, could break down at any time. It's not like another club would be courting him.
Why would other clubs not be courting him? He is big, fast, strong, defends well, rarely beaten. I would think 17 clubs would be courting him.

Deadeyeroo

Cancelled
May 18, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Why would other clubs not be courting him? He is big, fast, strong, defends well, rarely beaten. I would think 17 clubs would be courting him.
I don't think they would be yet. I think they'd be waiting to see how his body holds up seeing his horrible injury history.

Lets face it no club wants a JWS on their list filling a senior spot or any spot for that matter.

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
The man formerly known as Scooter once towelled up Cloke royally in a game.

Of course that defender as we knew him is no longer with us.

He's too busy running around like a headless ******* chicken.

Thewlis Dish

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 9, 2003
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
FGR
He made me enough as a cash cow to allow me to bring in Pendlebury in time for our game.

Back