Past #25: Robbie Tarrant - traded to RFC for CCJ&picks - 2yr deal at RFC - 174 NM games/44 NM goals - retires 13/7/23 effective immediately

Remove this Banner Ad

There is far more to being a key defender than being "big and strong".

Otherwise lets put Wallace there.

Fact is Taz isn't up to it whether healthy or otherwise.

Seriously.....yep he is our future and so on, been hearing that for years with nothing near expected output

He tries hard but I'd already rather (the exciting) Durdin, whether he can run out a game or not because at least he shows ability.

ps; I wish Taz the very best in his future endeavours.

Taz has shown ability on a number of occasions, its just his body hasn't allowed him to get an extended run at it. If Taz can get an extended chance where his body doesn't fail him there is no reason why he can't turn it around like Hansen did 18 months ago.

I'm surprised by all this talk that Taz isn’t big/strong enough to be a key defender. He absolutely is.

Hope he puts it together next year and everyone will see his worth.
He looks big and strong, but he hasn't gone anywhere near to maximizing his size. Daw has a similar problem, looks big and strong but really isn't all that. Now Tarrent has had a lot of bad luck with injury over the years, and Daw still has a lot to learn about the game overall, but both guys are similar to one another in that regard.

Well, no-one has ever denied that supporters tend to be a fickle bunch.

If Taz carves it up next year, some embarrassing posts in this thread will be bumped. And those posters will say "I am glad he proved me wrong".

Those seven words absolve all manner of unwarranted, often clueless, criticism - keep 'em in your armoury :thumbsu:

Well, no-one has ever denied that supporters tend to be a fickle bunch.

If Taz carves it up next year, some embarrassing posts in this thread will be bumped. And those posters will say "I am glad he proved me wrong".

Those seven words absolve all manner of unwarranted, often clueless, criticism - keep 'em in your armoury :thumbsu:
Clean skin here.

He looks big and strong, but he hasn't gone anywhere near to maximizing his size. Daw has a similar problem, looks big and strong but really isn't all that. Now Tarrent has had a lot of bad luck with injury over the years, and Daw still has a lot to learn about the game overall, but both guys are similar to one another in that regard.

To my eyes Taz is much stronger than Daw, because strength in marking contests and boundary throw-ins comes through the hips and waist, and since Daw has the waist and hip dimensions of a 12yo girl he has to rely on his leap (but gets bumped off his leap because he stands too far underneath the ball rather than standing back and jumping forward and into the ball, he tends to leap straight vertically).

Not sure Taz will get there but I think he's got more chance than Daw, reads the ball better and has a better build for the role he plays. Daw is about 5cm too short for his role (ruck) and is a poor to mediocre forward.

Taz has shown ability on a number of occasions, its just his body hasn't allowed him to get an extended run at it. If Taz can get an extended chance where his body doesn't fail him there is no reason why he can't turn it around like Hansen did 18 months ago.

Hansen showed more natural ability from day 1 than Taz ever has. It is not a good comparison despite it being brought out regularly as a defense to Taz. Hansen would have developed quicker if he had of just stayed back where it was obvious that it suited his strengths.

Of course injuries have put Taz back, but I just don't think he has shown the required ability regardless. If he doesn't mark on the lead he basically can't do anything else that is useful. Seeing someone like Brown come in and already offer more in a few games, it is pretty damning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“I haven’t just been injured for the last year, it’s been a seven or eight-year period where I’ve struggled to go through the whole year without getting injured.”
I feel really sorry for him but I wonder whether the club would have stuck with him knowing this, I think some people are genetically never going to stand up to the rigors of AFL. 39 games at 25 yo is a really poor result I hope he can get a good run at it.

Can we merge this with the player thread pls mods?

Edit: thanks Mod Squad.

b.mod+squad-300x274.jpg

(The blonde, Scandinavian in the middle is TT, right? o_O)

Last edited:
I think his role in the forward line 2 years ago (please correct me on the year if I'm wrong) went highly unnoticed and underrated within the footy community. Whilst he didn't clunk many marks he always brought the ball to ground and always to the front (another unnoticed skill IMO). He has loads of talent and if can make a career out of nothing, like his brother in defence he would be a great asset to the team. But who to leave out? Glad I'm not selecting the team this year

The thing in Tazza's favor is that we actually now have a very even spread of talent amongst our talls. And apart from Nielsen and Durdin, we don't have any others in development or VFL depth types. All of Petrie, Waite, Brown, Black, Wood, Daw, Tazza, Hansen, Thompson, Grima, and Tippett should be playing senior footy in 2015. The problem Tarrant faces is that Brad has his preferred selections, which makes it bloody hard to break into the team, but on the other hand, when someone does earn their spot, they are usually given plenty of opportunity. Realistically, the make-up of our KPPs is going to be a bit of a raffle in 2015 so don't want to count Tazza out before a ball is bounced, but will be surprised if plays his 50th this year. Happy to be proven wrong on this count though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back