Past #25: Robbie Tarrant - traded to RFC for CCJ&picks - 2yr deal at RFC - 174 NM games/44 NM goals - retires 13/7/23 effective immediately

Remove this Banner Ad

How good was he today?!

That game Tarrant played today was EXACTLY what we've been missing. He was composed. Marked well. Disposed of it well. Created forward thrusts off half back.

More please.

our F50 entries to score ratio would be really good.

We need to fix a couple of thing eg: decision making, disposal and Scott needs to tighten up on the opposition loose(at least for periods of the game)

Yeah, our F50 to score ratio is good, it is the best to date out of the teams that matter (Hawks, Swans, Fremantle, Port Adelaide).

The problem is we are not getting quality entry into our forward 50 so we have to scrap goals, that is a lot harder to do against teams who pressure.

A problem is our ability to mark inside the forward 50. Outside of the anomaly of a s**t Brisbane side in round 2, we had 6 marks inside the forward 50 vs Crows, 9 against Port and 7 against Geelong. Against these same three teams we conceded 22 markes in the forward 50 against the Crows, 13 against Port and 16 against Geelong.

That gritty offense is not enough if you have an inability to defend, a problem is we clear the ball out of the back line with rubbish disposal and comes zooming straight back in. We are not getting reward for effort. We have to work too hard for our goals and we give the opposition too many easy goals from turnovers.

While we have had a ratio of 47.6% scores from inside 50s, we have only gone in 208 times. We have allowed our opposition to convert 45.9% and allowed them to come into our defensive 50 220 times.

Hawthorn has had 45.3% conversion from 258 I50s and conceded 44.9% from 178 I50s against them.
Fremantle has had 46.1% conversion from 204 I50s and conceded 43.8% from 169 I50s against them.
Sydney has had 44.1% conversion from 213 I50s and conceded 40.2% from 194 I50s against them.
Port has had 41.4% conversion from 203 I50s and conceded 38.4% from 242 I50s against them.

I50 marks vs I50s marks against
North 44 (22 against Brisbane) vs 57 against (6 against Brisbane)
Hawthorn 58 vs 42
Fremantle 45 vs 41
Sydney 45 vs 28
Port 42 vs 29

The other teams haven't had a soft opponent influence their small sample size yet, Freo had Eagles but they put the cue in the rack due to being a mile in front. In summary we need a substantial increase in offence or defence, we are not tracking well against the teams that are likely going to contend for top 4 spots.

Brilliant Taz. Just brilliant. With all of the hurdles this bloke has had to overcome he looks to be enjoying his footy as he did as a monolithic 17yr old against kids. Absolutely loving following his progress on return.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He'll probably get Roughead next week.

Another huge test. More mobile than Hawkins, better around the ground.

I agree Roughy will be another huge, entirely different challenge but I think Taz is more suited to play on his type. Taz has the size, tank and speed to go with him. I just hope he has the smarts, if not he'll learn pretty quickly..

I agree Roughy will be another huge, entirely different challenge but I think Taz is more suited to play on his type. Taz has the size, tank and speed to go with him. I just hope he has the smarts, if not he'll learn pretty quickly..
This very much, he hasn't played much footy, has the talent and right attributes, just hasn't played much footy, so he'll have some good and some bad games, but we must persist with him for the season, Tippett is a handy back up otherwise.

To think that Ben Jacobs has played more games that Taz. That really puts into perspective just how smashed he has been by injuries.

Taz has been great. Hands have been soft and decision making has been a lot better than his experience team mates down back.

Now resign him and remove the free agent tag on him please.

Can't describe how thrilled I am for robbie. Absolutely sensational to see him not only back out there, but dominating already.

Taz has been great. Hands have been soft and decision making has been a lot better than his experience team mates down back.

Now resign him and remove the free agent tag on him please.
Re-sign. I'd be very surprised if Taz went anywhere after the faith the club have shown in him.

Offer him 2 years now. If he keeps his form from yesterday, he will be AA squad, and will get crazy offers. I'm sure he would sign for unders to stay with us, but the value is there today! The ability is there and has been there, despite the howls from some. Make it happen!!!

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2015-04-27/great-to-be-back

Until late on Sunday afternoon, North Melbourne may have doubted whether it had the capacity to contain the competition's best key forwards.

But 196cm forward-turned-defender Robbie Tarrant might be the answer Brad Scott has been searching for to stand the opposition's spearhead forward.

RELATED: Scott - North's "mature performance"

Tarrant produced a coming of age performance in curbing the influence of Geelong star Tom Hawkins at Simonds Stadium on Sunday.

The 26-year-old kept Hawkins to just one goal to be one of the Roos' best players in their 16-point win.

He told AFL.com.au it was Scott who suggested that he move to defence as he tried to establish himself in North's developing side.

"We sat down in my exit review at the end of last year and Brad threw it to me about what I thought about playing there and I haven't really looked back," Tarrant said.

"He said, 'Would you want to play in defence?' And I jumped at the opportunity."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back