081201_draftee6_246bLS.jpg

Selection 34: Liam Shiels

2008 Hawks Draftee: Liam Shiels

Watch Liam Shiels in action

Date of birth: 29/4/91
Height: 183cm
Weight: 79kg
Club: Eastern Ranges

Bio: Shiels is a competitive medium midfielder who can win his own ball. An AIS/AFL Academy graduate in 2007, represented Vic Metro at NAB AFL Under-18 Championships this year.

Stats:

NAB AFL Under 18 Championships
Team Mt K HB D M HO T G
Vic Metro 1 3.0 1.0 4.0 1.0 0.0 1.0 0.0

Re: Liam Shiels

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/tabid/4742/Default.aspx?newsid=70427

What the club says

List manager Chris Pelchen tells hawthornfc.com.au about the club's five selections in the national draft

Selection 34: Liam Shiels

Eastern Ranges, Vic, Midfielder, April 29, 1991, 183cm, 79kg

“Liam is the youngest boy in this year’s draft and he only qualified by two days. He’s basically an in or outside midfielder and he played for Vic Metro this season as a 17-year-old.

"A very impressive young lad with the way he trains and he will finish Year 12 next year at Aquinas College so we don’t expect to see a lot of him in 2009 but we look forward to him being full-time in 2010.”

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/new...491911602.html

The 2008 AFL Draft: How your club fared

Emma Quayle | November 30, 2008

HAWTHORN

No. 34 LIAM SHIELS
(Eastern Ranges) 18, 193cm, 79kg
AIS academy graduate and handy onballer who wins his own footy and is a strong, accurate kick. Good competitor who represented Vic Metro this year and spent a week at the club in January under an AIS scholarship program. “He’s a good kid and he really impressed us. He’s a genuine hard midfi elder but he is also the youngest kid in the draft and he has got to do year 12 next year at Aquinas College.” Pelchen

The Hawks missed out on Ryan O’Keefe so they picked his young clone in Shoenmakers. The club has plans to start him out in defence, although he’s seemed a natural forward in his junior days. Lisle, at 50, gives them a strong-bodied backman, and they’ve been able to put away a couple of midfi eld prospects and another ruckman to develop.

Clubs dodge draft with youth
http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTIC...x?newsId=70595

AFL CLUBS used the 2008 NAB AFL Draft to stockpile young talent ahead of the concessions to be introduced in future drafts.

1. Jack Watts (No.1) – Melbourne
2. Jack Ziebell (No.9) – North Melbourne
3. Steele Sidebottom (No.11) – Collingwood
4. Lewis Johnston (No.12) – Sydney Swans
5. Sam Blease (No.17) – Mellbourne
6. Dan Hannebery (No.30) – Sydney Swans
7. Liam Jones (No.32) – Western Bulldogs
8. Liam Shiels (No.34) – Hawthorn
9. Steven Motlop (No.39) – Geelong
10. Jarrad Blight (No.45) – Collingwood
11. Luke Rounds (No.46) – Collingwood
12. Michael Walters (No.53) – Fremantle
13. Michael Still (No.55) – Essendon
14. Tom Lee (No.60) – Adelaide
15. Campbell Heath (No.61) – Sydney Swans
16. Luke Lowden (No.63) – Hawthorn
17. Shane Savage (No.75) – Hawthorn
18. Caleb Tiller (No.80) – Carlton
19. Kieran King (No.81) – Brisbane Lions

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/News/Bl...x?newsId=70763

Hawks travel all over the countryside

Evans said the club’s five new draftees Ryan Shoenmakers, Luke Lowden, Jordan Lisle, Liam Shiels and Shane Savage had adjusted well since arriving last week.

“They’ve all settled in well. They’ve already developed some pretty close relationships with each other which is common when you get a group of kids come through at the same time. A couple of them are only 17 and still need to complete their VCE studies next year,” he said.

http://www.senews.com.au/story/68038

BORONIA’S Liam Shiels will launch his AFL career with reigning premier Hawthorn while tackling year 12.

Far from overwhelmed, the 17-year-old Aquinas College student has taken the enormous task in his stride.

He never considered delaying his AFL dream to focus on school.

Shiels has worked towards finding an AFL home for the past three years.

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=72409

Shiels' 'priceless' Tassie debut

THINGS to do for the week if you’re a 17-year-old footballer.

Go to school? Check.

Go to footy training? Yep.

Fly to Tassie, pull on your Hawthorn jumper and play a NAB Cup game with a dozen blokes who just won an AFL flag? Priceless.

That’s how it worked for 17-year-old Liam Shiels this week when he played for the Hawks in their stirring three-point win over Melbourne at Aurora Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Liam Shiels Nab Cup Round 1 Vs Melbourne

Kicks 5 Handballs 9 Marks 2 Tackles 2

A very promising performance first up by the youngest player taken in this years draft. Showed a willingness to go in and get the football, and certainly looks a player for the future.
Should play the rest of the pre season before concentrating on year 12. May be a chance to sneak a game later on in the year, and on the strength on his first effort, will go alright

he goes to my skool.
havent seen much of him though.
must be at training

Liam Shiels Nab Cup Round 2 Vs Carlton

Kicks 3 Handballs 5 Marks 3 Tackles 3

I didn't catch the game, so I can't give a run down on his performance, but reading other people's reviews of the game, Shiels acquitted himself well, and continued to show that he should be a player in time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liam has been named as emergency for the Round 8 2009 clash Hawthorn v Fremantle to be played Friday 15th May 09. Due to school commitments Liam only trains with the senior team on Thursdays. Was 'rested' from last Sunday's (10th May) Box Hill game against Collingwood.

My man!

I would imagine he is no chance to come in, since I am pretty sure I read on here that Kennedy was the only emergency to travel over to Perth.

I don't mind if he doesn't because I was going to check out his progress on Sunday for Box Hill.

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/4742/newsid/77795/default.aspx

Shiels next Hawk to fly

TeamSelection_290509b.jpg

LIAM Shiels, the youngest player taken in the 2008 NAB AFL Draft, will make his debut for Hawthorn against Adelaide at AAMI Stadium on Sunday afternoon.
Shiels, who turned 18 late last month, will become the Hawks' second debutant in as many weeks after Beau Muston's impressive first-up display in the clash with Melbourne.

THE TEAM
B:
Brown, Murphy, Guerra
HB: Whitecross, Birchall, Ellis
C: Shiels, Mitchell, Muston
HF: Osborne, Franklin, Bateman
F: Rioli, Roughead, Williams
FOLL: Taylor, Sewell, Lewis
I/C from: Campbell, Dew, Dowler, McGlynn, Morton, Renouf, Tuck
IN: Dew, Ellis, Renouf, Shiels, Tuck
OUT: Moss (knee), Stokes (hamstring)
* New player: Liam Shiels – 18 years old, 183cm/79kg. Selection No. 34 in the 2008 AFL Draft. Drafted from The Basin/Eastern U18.

Liam Shiels Round 10 Vs Adelaide

Kicks 7 Handballs 9 Marks 6 Tackles 3 Frees For 1

I can't give a review on how Shiels played in his debut game as I haven't seen the game, but other posters have said he did some good things and looked pretty good at the level, and will benefit well from the run.

Liam Shiels Round 11 Vs Sydney

Kicks 7 Handballs 0 Marks 1 Tackles 4 Frees For 3 Frees Against 1

Shiels showed a bit in slippery conditions. A few mis-directed passes with a wet and heavy ball. One thing he did show was his willingness to put his head over the ball and contest the footy. Great signs for the future.

Liam Shiels Round 14 Vs Western Bulldogs

Kicks 7 Handballs 3 Marks 1 Tackles 2 Frees Against 2

Didn't get to see much of the game (thankfully) so I can't give too much of a run down on Liam's performance, but judging by the fact we only had 4 points on the board at half time, I don't imagine he had much of an impact on the contest.

Getting a few games into him this year is going to be invaluable to his preparation for coming years, and should hold him in good stead.

Liam Shiels Round 15 Vs North Melbourne

Kicks 10 Handballs 5 Marks 1 Tackles 8 Frees Against 1 Goals 1 Behinds 2

Played easily his best game for the club on the weekend. In shocking conditions, Shiels went extremely well. Was always hard at it, and laid quite a few tackles. Even managed to snag his first AFL goal in the first quarter.

We are definitely seeing some improvement in Shiels' game, and it appears we have a serious player on our hands.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsartic...7/default.aspx
List assessment: Hawthorn
By Chris Fagan

Liam Shiels
The youngest boy taken in the draft last year. He played 11 games for us which was a great effort considering he was doing Year 12 and could only train with us once a week. He’s hard at the ball and has a fantastic aerobic capacity. We’re really pleased with his progress and hoping he will become a good solid performer for us next year.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/sam-mitchell-is-hawks-best/story-e6frf9jf-1225782526118

HAWTHORN captain Sam Mitchell's consistency in what proved to be a difficult year for his club has won him his second Peter Crimmins Medal.

Mitchell gathered votes in 21 of his 22 matches to poll 170 votes to easily defeat second-year star Cyril Rioli (123)and brilliant forward Lance Franklin (121).

In other awards on the night, the AFL's youngest player this season, Liam Shiels, won the club's best first year player, while Clinton Young, who endured a frustrating year with injury, won the Best Clubman award.

Liam looks very well balanced and reminds me of Marc Murphy a fair bit.

Will he have more of an influence on the game in 2010 or not play because Burgoyne and Young etc coming back.

Thoughts?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back