Player Watch 26. Liam Shiels

Liam looks very well balanced and reminds me of Marc Murphy a fair bit.

Will he have more of an influence on the game in 2010 or not play because Burgoyne and Young etc coming back.

Thoughts?

It is inevitable that he will get quite a few games, even if he is not yet best 22, he would certainly be in the next rung to come in.

Miss_Hawk_Fan

Club Legend
Mar 12, 2007
Tasmania
AFL Club
Hawthorn
There is alot to like about young sheils, walked into the season 2009 the youngest draft pick and already has the ability to make an impact on the AFL.

This young man is an exciting prospect, keep your eye on him it will be worth the watch. As C-L-A reflected in the above post, what can the training staff do to assist this young man further in an AFL Career.

I dont think skill will be an issue for young shiels, it will be a natural imporvement as he settles into the AFL enviroment.

Sheils in my opinion will be multitallented and is capable of being an inside and out side player. We all know he is committed to the footy and put his body on the line, i also think he has the brains and speed to be on the recieving end as well.

The only concern for me is; can the young fella avoid all the hype about him and the pitt falls that goes along with being an AFL Player? Its an answer im not sure of, but there are a few who have jumped in and vouched for the young man.

2010 shoiuld be at the very least a solid year for the young man, any thing under 10 games will be dissapointing.

I have a feeling sheils, just like the Hawks is in for an exciting 2010, dont blink or you will miss it!

Go on young man show us your stuff! Bring on the pre-season games!

P.S for the record, Sheils reminds of Joel Selwood in nature and play.......

Miss_Hawk_Fan

Club Legend
Mar 12, 2007
Tasmania
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Must say, was amazed when I heard he won the 3km time trial in a time quicker than any Hawk in the history of our club - guys like Clarke and Crawf included.

I think there is some doubt on this one; something may have been lost in translation.

Must say, was amazed when I heard he won the 3km time trial in a time quicker than any Hawk in the history of our club - guys like Clarke and Crawf included.

The good thing about his elite running ability is that I reckon he is a footballer first and athlete second. He reads the ball very well and is fierce at the contest. He has skill so am not worried about his kicking - for me it is about him fine tuning his kicking rather than any sort of fundamental problem. He has a nice natural kicking action. He needs to learn to be able to float a ball to a teammate like Xavier Ellis does as his kicking is a bit punchy at the moment and punchy kicks dont suit all situations.

Really looking forward to seeing Shiels in action this season. He is in the Crawford / McGlynn mould and will give our side plenty when he is ready. I reckon Clarko would love the way he goes about it so I expect to see him at Hawthorn heaps in 2010. Would be happy for him to play a tagging role for a year or two to learn the ropes really well at AFL level and then be unleashed offensively.

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/4742/newsid/89200/default.aspxShiels' pleasant surprises

By Liam Shiels 11:07 AM Thu 04 February, 2010
Shiels_Rd1009_kick_246b.jpg
Liam Shiels says he can't wait to get back to Launceston this season

I'LL BE honest and say I didn't know what to expect on the way to the Ashley Youth Detention Centre in Tasmania yesterday.
Heading out there, I was feeling a bit hesitant but once we got there it was a fantastic experience.

Miss_Hawk_Fan

Club Legend
Mar 12, 2007
Tasmania
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Thanks for posting that Article Noosa, i tried but my interenet provider has been dificult to get along with the last three days.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/89371/default.aspx

NAB Cup squads confirmed for first four games

NAB Cup

ROUND ONE
, WEEK ONE

All times local

Friday February 12
West Coast v Essendon at Subiaco Oval, 5.45pm

Saturday February 13
Adelaide v Port Adelaide at AAMI Stadium, 4.10pm
Hawthorn v Richmond at Aurora Stadium, 7.40pm

Sunday February 14
Western Bulldogs v Brisbane Lions at Manuka Oval, 4.40pm

HAWTHORN v RICHMOND
Hawthorn
2. Jarryd Roughead, 3. Jordan Lewis, 4. Rick Ladson, 5. Sam Mitchell, 6. Josh Gibson, 8. Xavier Ellis, 12. Brad Sewell, 13. Simon Taylor, 14. Grant Birchall, 15. Luke Hodge,[/B] 16. Beau Dowler, 17. Beau Muston, 18. Brent Guerra, 19. Jarryd Morton, 21. Shane Savage, 23. Lance Franklin, 25. Ryan Schoenmakers, 26. Liam Shiels, 27. Stephen Gilham, 28. Garry Moss, 29. Tom Murphy, 30. Campbell Brown, 31. Matthew Suckling, 36. Jordan Lisle, 39. Ben Statton, 42. Wayde Skipper, 43. Will Sierakowski, 45. Jarrod Kayler-Thomson, 47. Luke Bruest.

Hodgepodge

Hall of Famer
Suspended
30k Posts 10k Posts
Apr 28, 2008
Erin Riley's air mattress
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Small youtube video of some Shiels action. Not even a highlight reel, just some bits and pieces off some other youtube vids.

[youtube]9mxb18VGuCU[/youtube]

Thanks for watching.

2011 Season

Has started well for Liam Shiels. Played the first two games of the season and kicked his first AFL goal.

Played well in the N.A.B. Cup.

Round 1 Adelaide @ AAMI Stadium.

Hawks played well only to be overrun by the Crows in the last quarter.

11 kicks, 10 handballs, 4 marks, 2 tackles and 2 Frees for.

Round 2 Hawthorn v Melbourne, Sunday 3 April, 2011 @ the M.C.G.

Shiels has a great game and very lively up around the forward line for the Hawks.

Kicks his first goal in the A.F.L.

Hawks controlled the 1st quarter only to be overwhelmed in the 2nd to go into the long break 27 points down.

Shiels joined another young Hawk Matt Suckling in completely turning the situation around by kicking 8 goals 11 behinds for the 3rd quarter and continuing on the best work in the 4th to give the Hawks their first win on the season.

6 tackles helped keep the ball bottled up in our forward line.

Stats for this game
17 kicks, 8 handballs, 9 marks, 6 tackles, 2 Frees for, 1 free against and 1 goal 2 behinds.

Excellent start to the season for this 3rd year player.

Shiels and Suckling are keeping more experienced players such as Xavier Ellis and Brett Guerra out of the senior team.

Happy Birthday, today for Liam Shiels. His 20th year on this planet. 29.04.91

Has continued his reasonably good start to the season playing every game up to the bye.

Round 3 with a win over Richmond at the 'G'. 16 kicks, 7 marks, 11 handballs, 5 tackles but 3 Frees Against.

Round 4 with a win over the WCE @ Aurora. 7 kicks, 5 marks, 9 handballs, 1 hitout, 6 tackles and again 2 frees for.

Round 5 on the big stage against Geelong @ the 'G' not so good. 12 kicks, 4 marks, 9 handballs, 1 behind, 4 tackles and again 1 free for.

So far to round 5

kicks 63 with total team kicks of 1079 so he has kicked (and trust me I failed year 11 maths..did pass Uni maths..[go figure :confused:] 5.8% of all kicks.

Marks: 29 out of 450 for 6.4% of the team

Handballs: 47 out of 850 for 5.5%

Goals: 1 out of 70

Tackles: 23 out of 342 = 6.7%

Frees For he is in the positive 7 as against 4 frees given away.

If we take the average 1 player in 21 he is above the average in all catagories - 4.76% *

* Have not taken into account time on field and any other relevant factors.

Still overall seems to be travelling well and deserving of his place in the team.

Well done and happy birthday.

As pointed out by Schwab on the main Hawthorn forum, Liam is at the end of round 10, 2011 currently ranked in the TOP 10 players in the AFL!!!

see: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=831901

Just confirming the stellar year he is having.

Pos Num Player Games played and Team
1 10 Scott Pendlebury 9* Collingwood

2 5 Matthew Boyd 9 Western Bulldogs

3 36 Dane Swan 9 Collingwood

4 20 Dean Cox 9 West Coast

5 3 Marc Murphy 9 Carlton

6 5 Scott Thompson 9 Adelaide

7 16 David Mundy 9 Fremantle

8 5 Chris Judd 9 Carlton

9 26 Liam Shiels 9 Hawthorn

10 4 Dustin Martin 10 Richmond

11 13 Dale Thomas 9 Collingwood

12 23 Lance Franklin 9 Hawthorn

* refers to the number of games they have played.

Back