Traded #27: Jonathan Giles - Traded to The West Coast with pick 62 for pick 57

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm now of the view that he's not playing due to standards not being met.

There is now a "youth" mindset at the club and I believe Giles is only sparingly doing whats asked of him at VFL level and training. To allow that "attitude" sends the wrong message to the younger blokes coming through, even they have been held back to some extent.

The end of the year departures will be fascinating.
What nonsense. Perhaps he's perceived to be not trying hard because he's a ruckman? Perhaps he's trying to preserve his body for match-day. All of that is garbage. A worse precedent to set than bad trainers get games is bad players getting games at the expense of the rest of the team so that coaching staff can make a point.

Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

What nonsense. Perhaps he's perceived to be not trying hard because he's a ruckman? Perhaps he's trying to preserve his body for match-day. All of that is garbage. A worse precedent to set than bad trainers get games is bad players getting games at the expense of the rest of the team so that coaching staff can make a point.

Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.
Nonsense??? Now now Granddad.
Just because he's a ruckman doesn't give him a free pass to be a lazy *. Maybe you're still stuck in the 1950's when rucks just went from stoppage to stoppage. Look at the modern rucks Cox(2014),Sandi, Goldy, Jacobs, Mumford all cover the ground and become link players through the middle or a forward target. There is an age old football saying "You train how you play". The garbage is you thinking he's "preserving himself for match-day" LMFAO if he's preserving himself to play VFL he'll need a few weeks off to prepare for the real stuff.

Every player would have KPI's they need to meet and there would then be a more broad team KPI's if Giles isn't doing this why play him??? You can't just gift players games because there is a shortage of that kind of player. I'm not a huge fan of McKernan and was/am critical of TBC and I'd rather standards be set and met for long term success rather than poor standards met for the rest of a season that is done and dusted. Consistency in form is something that being driven here and I'd rather that than what you're suggesting.

Nonsense??? Now now Granddad.
Just because he's a ruckman doesn't give him a free pass to be a lazy ****. Maybe you're still stuck in the 1950's when rucks just went from stoppage to stoppage. Look at the modern rucks Cox(2014),Sandi, Goldy, Jacobs, Mumford all cover the ground and become link players through the middle or a forward target. There is an age old football saying "You train how you play". The garbage is you thinking he's "preserving himself for match-day" LMFAO if he's preserving himself to play VFL he'll need a few weeks off to prepare for the real stuff.

Every player would have KPI's they need to meet and there would then be a more broad team KPI's if Giles isn't doing this why play him??? You can't just gift players games because there is a shortage of that kind of player. I'm not a huge fan of McKernan and was/am critical of TBC and I'd rather standards be set and met for long term success rather than poor standards met for the rest of a season that is done and dusted. Consistency in form is something that being driven here and I'd rather that than what you're suggesting.
That's all based on the premise that he's not meeting some sort of KPI, which is pure speculation.

That's all based on the premise that he's not meeting some sort of KPI, which is pure speculation.
Speculation??? On a BF forum.....
200.gif

So we watch a player closely for 4 or 5 years. Finally get him, tell him he'll be our 2nd ruck to TBC, won't play him even though when TBC has a fractured knee cap and is downright just putrid, we continue to persist with him, TBC finally gets dropped, A relief ruck gets picked instead, TBC has an OK game against a team who has not won this year, comes straight back in, gets injured again, we continue to play a relief ruck, while a AA defender has to play forward, continued to get dominated in the ruck.

wE arE EsSendOn :drunk:

Talked him out of accepting better contract on table from Adelaide or so I understand it.

My guess is that he told Hird to * himself a few weeks into the season (once it was clear how bad Bellchambers was).

He's been best on when he needed to be and is still not picked despite us pretty much being beaten last week due to Goldy strolling around doing his own thing. I've been impressed by Smack, but this is just plain ******* ridiculous.

I knew Hirdy was stubborn and also very supportive to his "guys", but this is over the top.

Kakkle - This is a Essington move!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saying they can't fit anymore talks in the team is a bit of a lie, but I guess it is possible they want to get more of a look at younger players .

They know what they are going to get with Giles and he's contracted next year. A lot of players younger than him are uncontracted.

Yes, he's not going to be any better than his previous 3 years...

Like McKernan

If Giles came to the club with the same mind set as McKernan ie "this is my last chance" he'd probably be in the AFL right now. As it was he didn't and now he's 3rd in line. I have no problems with that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back