Retired Will Minson (#913)

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually think sledging is pretty poor generally but it has always gone on and still does in every game, I imagine, and they have to hang one guy for it.
Needs to be more consistency regarding this [including penalising Pearce] and other infringements - eg Josh Hunt stomped on Betts' arm / hand twice and just got a minor fine and no media beat up.

Poor bloody Will. I think he's taken it pretty hard, and understandably so. Hope he doesn't get a complex, or depressed or anything. It must be awful to be strung up in public and have your good name smeared and have everyone the entire nation saying your an a-hole, it would be a pretty lonely and unhappy place to be. Especially over something so minor.

For some positive news for the big man, he's currently well on pace to smash his previous best hitouts for a season which was 365 in 2009 while he is currently at 337. Would love for him to kick some goals and to end up with tackle count back up to his best for a season (his best is 70 in 2009 while he is currently on 30)

On the back of the Cooney toast thread, I reckon Wilbur needs a mention.

Leading the league in hitouts with 161 (avg 40.2). He's such a presence around stoppages, not just in the air but when the footy hits the deck also. I think having such a quality ruck will help our midfielder's development heaps.

The question on my mind about Minson is whether he will still cut it when we're next challenging for a flag? Personally I think our next run will be in at least 4 years time so maybe we should trade him this year or next and try to get someone who will bematuring in around 2017/18.

The question on my mind about Minson is whether he will still cut it when we're next challenging for a flag? Personally I think our next run will be in at least 4 years time so maybe we should trade him this year or next and try to get someone who will bematuring in around 2017/18.
No no no no no. Libba, wallis, smith, Stevens, hrovat will all develop much better with big wilbur giving them an even crack at the footy. We've Invested so much in will and waited so long for him to mature, no way do we pull the pin and start again now. He has 4 or 5 years left no problems.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Welcome, thanks for your first post.

You want to trade our best player?

Has been excellent this year, apart from the Richmond game... But he wasn't alone that day....

Even in that game he smashed Maric/Vickery in hitouts 21 to 32.

I get a lot of s**t from my mates for proclaiming Minson as one of the best ruckman in the league. Unfortunately they all participate in the collective circle-jerk that is Cox/Naitanui and Maric

Even in that game he smashed Maric/Vickery in hitouts 21 to 32.

I get a lot of s**t from my mates for proclaiming Minson as one of the best ruckman in the league. Unfortunately they all participate in the collective circle-jerk that is Cox/Naitanui and Maric

He didn't impose himself on that game at all, despite the hitout count... Not sure what happened last week, seems like it was a collective bad day at the office....

No no no no no. Libba, wallis, smith, Stevens, hrovat will all develop much better with big wilbur giving them an even crack at the footy. We've Invested so much in will and waited so long for him to mature, no way do we pull the pin and start again now. He has 4 or 5 years left no problems.

Agreed. And we all know that neither Cordy or Campbell are ready for #1 ruck role, so until they develop further, we need Minson...

totally disagree

ruckman traditionally take a bit longer to mature and can have a longer career, he's been quite healthy in his career so far and it wouldn't be far-fetched to think he can play till his early/mid 30s. Cox and Jolly are both 31 and their teams are contending, even Brogan at 34 is going well at the moment.

I've always been a believer. The amount of stick I've copped from the Minson bashers on here, and there are/were many. His hit out dominance simply can't be ignored, he's without peer in the current game. I'd love him to drop in the hole and clunk more marks, but he'll probably never deliver in that regard, unless he's on Rance of course!

We already have a good young ruckman in Campbell who will be well and truly maturing in your time frame. Why trade for something we already have. If we can keep him of course.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back