Retired Will Minson (#913)

Apr 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The question on my mind about Minson is whether he will still cut it when we're next challenging for a flag? Personally I think our next run will be in at least 4 years time so maybe we should trade him this year or next and try to get someone who will bematuring in around 2017/18.

I'll cut you some slack as you are a BF newbie, but lets hope your posts improve from here :) (jokes) Will has been our best player all year and deserves to remain a Dog!

Who would jump up to take his spot? Campbell is a long way away, but maybe in 2-3 years a chance. Cordy, I doubt will ever have the physical strength to take the #1 spot. And Roughy is a bone-fide CHB/FB.

Will stays!

Toastman

All Australian
Apr 14, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
St. Louis Blues, Salavat Yulaev Ufa
I'll cut you some slack as you are a BF newbie, but lets hope your posts improve from here :) (jokes) Will has been our best player all year and deserves to remain a Dog!

Who would jump up to take his spot? Campbell is a long way away, but maybe in 2-3 years a chance. Cordy, I doubt will ever have the physical strength to take the #1 spot. And Roughy is a bone-fide CHB/FB.

Will stays!

I think we're doing it wrong. Will may get us an extra win or two over the next few years but we won't be in the finals so what does it matter.
I think the Dogs should say, we're going for the GF in 2018 and trade our valuable guys now to get a group who will be there in 2018. Most of the current young players will be peaking and Minson won't be the starting ruckman by then. If it were up to me I'd trade him for as good a first or second year player as we could get and then draft the best late 20's/early 30's ruckman from the VFL, SANFL or WAFL to provide a cheap big body to support the young rucks while they develop.

The only reason I can think to keep him is that if we're not competitive for a few years the membership will drop and I think that has been a problem with our strategy for a long time. If we were more cold and calculating I think we'd take the pain of a few weak years and see the results when it all comes together and everyone is peaking at the same time.

Apr 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think we're doing it wrong. Will may get us an extra win or two over the next few years but we won't be in the finals so what does it matter.
I think the Dogs should say, we're going for the GF in 2018 and trade our valuable guys now to get a group who will be there in 2018. Most of the current young players will be peaking and Minson won't be the starting ruckman by then. If it were up to me I'd trade him for as good a first or second year player as we could get and then draft the best late 20's/early 30's ruckman from the VFL, SANFL or WAFL to provide a cheap big body to support the young rucks while they develop.

The only reason I can think to keep him is that if we're not competitive for a few years the membership will drop and I think that has been a problem with our strategy for a long time. If we were more cold and calculating I think we'd take the pain of a few weak years and see the results when it all comes together and everyone is peaking at the same time.

My issue is, how much would it set back our midfield development? Sure we may get a 2nd rounder, maybe at best a 1st round, but what does that guarantee us?

2nd round draft pick for a current top 5 competition ruckman, god people overate draft picks, how about we just keep the good players we have got without trying to downgrade the list

cammo78

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Mooroolbark FC, Arizona Cardinals
The fact Will is 28 and having his "breakout" should give a LOT of people the hint on Cordy and Jones - big blokes take many years longer than the smaller ones.

The fact Will is 28 and having his "breakout" should give a LOT of people the hint on Cordy and Jones - big blokes take many years longer than the smaller ones.
Also I think Will may still be a good ruck in 2016-17 if his body remains sound. Our next premiership window will be ajar by then, if not wide open with the curtains blowing in the breeze.

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Charlton Athletic, Roys FFC

Agree, but IMO, one of Rocket's biggest mistakes was not giving Minson a run in his final year. We all knew Hudson was going to go by half way through the year, so why keep playing him and give Wilbur zero opportunity. We could have fast tracked Will through 8 - 10 games in a row in the seniors as #1 ruck, then seen more improvement/consistency last year and this...

TMoney22

Premiership Player
Sep 15, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Utah Jazz, San Jose Sharks
Agree, but IMO, one of Rocket's biggest mistakes was not giving Minson a run in his final year. We all knew Hudson was going to go by half way through the year, so why keep playing him and give Wilbur zero opportunity. We could have fast tracked Will through 8 - 10 games in a row in the seniors as #1 ruck, then seen more improvement/consistency last year and this...

Agree, i reckon Minson was this good 2 or maybe 3 years ago. We al know he struggled playing 2nd ruck and in the VFL he dominated. But to be fair on Rocket, Hudson was very decent too and at the end of the day with how both were being played, you go with Hudson. We are lucky to be in this situation. Look at Carlton, they have so many rucks with talent yet none stand out as being better than the other (obviously Kruezer is good but right now i think Minson is playing better)

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Agree, i reckon Minson was this good 2 or maybe 3 years ago. We al know he struggled playing 2nd ruck and in the VFL he dominated. But to be fair on Rocket, Hudson was very decent too and at the end of the day with how both were being played, you go with Hudson. We are lucky to be in this situation. Look at Carlton, they have so many rucks with talent yet none stand out as being better than the other (obviously Kruezer is good but right now i think Minson is playing better)

I think Minson's habit for silly free kicks (giving them away) counted against him at times, but once Rocket knew he was going, he should have just bitten the bullet and played Will. We all (thought we) knew Hudson was retiring, so there was nothing to lose really...

Toastman

All Australian
Apr 14, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams

Rocket wanted a few extra wins in the hope of keeping his job. Don't know why we don't give coaches some leeway to rebuild the team, instead we push them to scrounge out a few extra wins at the expense of the future.

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Rocket wanted a few extra wins in the hope of keeping his job. Don't know why we don't give coaches some leeway to rebuild the team, instead we push them to scrounge out a few extra wins at the expense of the future.

It's an interesting one, as Rocket clearly played the kids that year and tried to develop them. But he just wouldn't play Will.... Strange one....

Toastman

All Australian
Apr 14, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
What about a trade of Minson for Zac Clarke from Freo, as Sandilands will never be a full season ruckman again, or Tom Bellchambers from Essendon, since Paddy won't be a premiership level ruckman for a few years yet, plus a draft pick.

Will is clearly worth a lot to these teams while they are in the premiership window and both teams are weak in the ruck. I think we could get a developing ruckman with a reasonable number of games under his belt who will be peaking at the right time and some additional compensation.

My argument against keeping Will isn't because he's bad, it's the opposite, he's one of the top five ruckmen in the league but that's only going to be worth a few wins to us over the next few years compared with a developing ruck who will be where Will is now in five years time when we really need it.

If Will was a leader then I would agree with the preference to keep him but we have Boyd, Cross and Murphy to help the young guys develop.

P.S. Melbourne's problem wasn't the trading of their good players, it was the culture of tanking which destroyed the list.

Back