1. Don't despair your Tipping Season is not over!

Two lucky people could win $1 million in our free to enter tipping tournaments over the last five rounds of the AFL season.

Winners will receive a ticket to TopBetta's NRL Grand Final day tournament in Melbourne on September 27th.

Join Now and have some fun for the rest of the season.

2. Congratulations to jaydeetee for tipping 7/9 and one off the tie-breaker. FREE Platinum BFSC for you!

Get your tips in!

3. Chat with other Comm Games fans in our Commonwealth Games thread.

And keep up with Aussie athletes in the Aussie Watch Thread.

4. The ASADA, AFL and drugs in sport Hot Topic board

Media links, the facts, the statements, the allegations, the charges, the court actions, the notices and the clubs mentioned so far. Hundreds of threads, hundreds of thousands of posts.

$275mill for Holden ...Help me understand

Discussion in 'Australian Politics' started by Paradigm, Mar 22, 2012.

Put it out there
  1. Paradigm

Paradigm Account Cancelled by User

Adelaide
    Other teams:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Pessimistic

Pessimistic Norm Smith Medallist

Hawthorn Hawthorn - 2013 Premiers
    Other teams:
    Horks
    You prefer we continue giving money to bankers instead ?
  3. Bengraham

Bengraham Rookie

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Couldnt help you.
  4. pjcrows

pjcrows Club Legend

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Minnesota Vikings
    You don't "get it"?

You mean you don't understand it, or you don't agree with it? Two different things.
  5. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Full Stop

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Bengals

He means he didn't get the $275mil

I don't understand why I didn't get it either:cool:
  6. Admiral Byng

Admiral Byng Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    South Fremantle
    I understand it perfectly, but I'm keeping it to myself.
  7. noddy

noddy Club Legend

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    /The Bays/Man U
    GM put in one billion also & guarantee that they will build Holdens in this country at least until 2022, no $$ no jobs plus in regards to governments helping to sustain there motor industries Australia is near the bottom of the table in terms of assistance given.

Don't be surprised if Tone is dragged kicking & screaming to pronounce yes instead of no this time. ;)
  8. medusala

medusala Premiership Player

Other teams:
    So you were against Rudd guaranteeing debts of the banks then were you?

If so I am glad we both agree it was moronic policy by the government just as this is.
  9. Clay Davis

Clay Davis Premiership Player

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    I don't really get why we persist with supporting car manufacture either.
  10. Moo

Moo BFSC Platinum

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Newcastle Utd
    It's important for manufacturing ....apparently
  11. medusala

medusala Premiership Player

Other teams:
    It is very important to build things. Digging stuff out of the ground doesnt count.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. PottSie2

PottSie2 All Australian

Other teams:
    So does that mean no more subsidies announcements/grants for 10 years ?
  13. Slax

Slax Spec Moderator

Brisbane Lions
    Other teams:
    Man City
    In the dark corner of the bar away from security
    You are kidding me, this was a policy that had to happen otherwise we were at risk of part of the banking industry collapsing. People were making a run on financial institutions to withdraw their funds and hold them in cash under the mattress. There is not the amount of actual printed notes in the economy to allow this and the institutions can not hold the amounts need to deal with the extra space required to hold this sort of volume.

The cost of providing this was minimal especially when you consider the risks involved.
  14. Footy Smarts

Footy Smarts Club Legend

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Tim Colebatch made a good point this morning. The assistance given to the auto sector is a better value for money spend than many other sectors. He used the example of the diesel fuel tax rebate for the mining industry which costs $2 billion a year (5 times the assistance to the car industry) and has far less economy-wide benifits than the assistance to the car industry.

There's an argument for no assistance to any industry but if you're going to take that stance there's a number of other industries getting assistance that's worse value for the taxpayer than the car industry.
  15. cancat

cancat Account Cancelled by User

Geelong
    Other teams:
    This is what the deal entailed under the old handout. I've yet to see details of the new one.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...s-into-the-ditch/story-e6frgd0x-1226265114623

• pay rises above award
    • union control of casual hire
    • if production stops through lack of demand 60% or 50% of wages continues to be paid
    • up to $700 income protection paid per employee provided the policies are purchased from an insurance company "nominated" by the unions
    • voluntary redundancy - 3 1/2 weeks of pay for each year of service, uncapped, plus a payout of up to 30 days' sick leave
    • compulsory redundancy - 5 weeks' pay per year of service, uncapped, plus the payout of 30 days of sick leave
  16. Belnakor

Belnakor Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Having an automotive industry in the country is also part of the national interest, ie defense etc.

Don't nessecarily believe in proping up industry but by the same token we're straying into the Dutch Disease terrority and we don't want our economy to be totally rooted when it dies down.
  17. King Elvis

King Elvis Norm Smith Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    I'm ok with it.

And I don't know why we screw around with an RSPT or MRRT when that diesel rebate is still in existence; get rid of it.

Although the issues cancat highlights, that's just ****ing ridiculous.

Unions are going to have a lot of blood on their hands if they don't start being more reasonable in their expectations.
  18. Clay Davis

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    I'm not sure how they are aligned. What materiel does the Holden plant produce?

That sounds almost like a Maginot line argument, honestly.
  19. Scotland

Scotland Club Legend

West Coast
    Other teams:
    There is no special 'fuel subsidy' for the mining industry.

Fuel excise is levied on road-going vehicles and is intended to fund maintenance and improvement of the road network. By all means lets review this if there's merit in it but this notion that mining has some secret deal that nobody else is in on is frustrating as hell.
  20. cancat

cancat Account Cancelled by User

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Diesel fuel rebate scheme
    Most of the rebate is paid to miners.
  21. Scotland

Scotland Club Legend

West Coast
    Other teams:
    The HQ Holden was the most Australian car ever produced with (from memory) 99.7% local content.

These days car manufacturing in Australia is predominantly assembly. I wonder what we'd really be able to produce if East Asia turned off the tap of material supply?
  22. Scotland

Scotland Club Legend

West Coast
    Other teams:
    I didn't suggest that it wasn't.

All I would like is for people arguing for the 'mining fuel subsidy' to be removed to acknowledge that they are actually arguing for mining to be taxed differently with regards to fuel excise to other industries operating on private land.
  23. Footy Smarts

Footy Smarts Club Legend

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Well the fact that there's an excise for fuel purchased for off-road work basically means it's a mining and agriculture subsidy. Mining does have a special deal because they're the main sector that uses fuel off road. It is a subsidy and the vast majority of it is directed towards the mining industry.

Also it's not on road-going vehicles. As Cancat showed it's specifically for off-road uses which is pretty much mining and agriculture. Sure if I want to run an off-road taxi service I might be able to apply for the excise but somehow I don't think that will be profitable.
  24. Paradigm

Paradigm Account Cancelled by User

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Okay....read all that.
    So we have to cough up money to keep car manufacturer here even though gloablly they make billion+ dollar profits and now they have secured the component makers jobs too and they will make two special models blah blah ......

........................just like Mitsubishi. Love that 380 :rolleyes:

Meanwhile .....the people in Keith are holding chook raffles to keep their hospital open ...a hospital situated on the Dukes Highway....

Sorry ...nope ...don't get it.
  25. Clay Davis

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    I think you should keep this sentiment for talkback radio. The merits of protecting car manufacture are entirely unrelated to hospital funding, which is essentially a state govt responsibility.