Senior 28. David Cuningham

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't get it, he kicks a goal from 35m directly in front?
Players are shouting 'boo' but that's setting the bar pretty low on the first day!

The first thing that happened to this kid at Carlton is that his coach showed faith in him. The kid lived up to it. This could be the start of a beautiful friendship.

He had to show faith in him. It was his doing asking for speed. :)

All good with Cuningham. Looks a bit trimmer than Yarran is looking right now, also.

I don't get it, he kicks a goal from 35m directly in front?
Players are shouting 'boo' but that's setting the bar pretty low on the first day!

Best part about it was seeing him get swamped after slotting the goal. Can't imagine a better way to make a kid feel like part of the team on day one than to have the boys get around him like that.

Not often our players are that fired up during a game, so I suspect Bolton will be looking to drive the "positive reinforcement" angle early on. Gotta be pretty depressing kicking a goal at AFL level and watching all your teammates turn around and walk back to their positions. Individual success is team success, and should be celebrated as such.

Someone said this is a strange call given other more highly rated players were on the board?

That's just ridiculous I'm sorry.

Many pundits said after 15-20 throw a blanket over the rest. And anyhow, the likes of Mathieson etc were overlooked by all clubs so can't have been that well rated.

Let's not mistake Quayle and Twomey for the real club recruiters, no disrespect to Quayle etc mind you

They did say after 15 it was very much up in the air. Cunners has some serious AFL attributes which can translate to him becoming a vey good player. Has been a bit inconsistent with his form throughout the year. However With hard work i have high hopes for this kid.

Our pick #19 was always going to a bit speculative.
Do you choose the kid that may have more runs on the board, had huge exposure in elite junior systems but might have a ceiling to their 'potential' limit Or do you pick the kid with less exposure, a bit green around the edges but whom has enormous upside in potential? I think this is why we chose Cunners over the likes of Mathieson, Tucker & co.
Of course none of us know if it will be a shrewd pick in time but personally I'm very happy with the decision.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

David has been extremely competitive and impressive through the pre-season.
If there's room for another runner in our team, then he may well be a first round starter. I think he'll start.

One thing though: It's just hard to spell his name with a single 'n' after 'Cu' It's just not right.
i.e. Cunning Ham ................ sounds right.
Cuning Ham? There's no such word as Cuning but change the first letter to a T and you get Tunning Ham............which would be right or with a single n it would be......Tuning Ham. That would make it Kewningham
Do you see my dilemma? :)

If there's room for another runner in our team, then he may well be a first round starter. I think he'll start.

One thing though: It's just hard to spell his name with a single 'n' after 'Cu' It's just not right.
Cuning Ham? There's no such word as Cuning but change the first letter to a T and you get Tunning Ham............which would be right or with a single n it would be......Tuning Ham. That would make it Kewningham
280.16x9.jpg

Yes I do.

If you are asking for a solution, scrap the English language and start again as not a lot of it makes sense.

I think there could be a silent j in there too Harks.
I think he will be our best first year player.

pretty sure there will be those (the opposition) who will be inserting a 'T' in his name, though probably not at the start.

From Kade Simpson:

"[Cuningham] really impressed with his stoppage work - in close, his lateral movement. A couple of times he has come through a stoppage and blind turned a guy and dished off with the hands - you stand back and think: 'This guy is only 18, what's he doing?' He doesn't look out of place at all against the likes of Cripps and Gibbs and Murphy and those guys. I reckon he would play quite early as well."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...de-simpson-20160206-gmna2y.html#ixzz3zZCnQAkq

High praise indeed!

From Kade Simpson:
"[Cuningham] really impressed with his stoppage work - in close, his lateral movement. A couple of times he has come through a stoppage and blind turned a guy and dished off with the hands - you stand back and think: 'This guy is only 18, what's he doing?' He doesn't look out of place at all against the likes of Cripps and Gibbs and Murphy and those guys. I reckon he would play quite early as well."
High praise indeed!

It sure is but seemingly well deserved.

Every session I thought he couldn't look more impressive than the last....................but somehow he was

Every session I thought he couldn't look more impressive than the last....................but somehow he was

He was the one I wasnt totally sure of, but he's rapidly becomnig the one I am happiest with.

Im looking forward to seeing him play. Hopefully he gets given a license to take the game on. My gut tells me this is where he excells.

Weitering and Curnow look like big game players to me, already

Cuningham could well be also but I haven't quite got the same confidence just yet............no reason other than a feeling.

Should McKay also come on, then we've done ourselves a huge service. Silvagni will be an asset in 3 years time...........I have little doubt.

Skill + athleticism + intelligence + emotional control

The only missing piece from our observations is if he has the self-belief. If he does, he could be the steal of the draft. FWIW I was hesitant on his skills pre-draft, but I didn't have much to go on.

Seems his footy brain clicked into gear after the championships.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back