Delisted #28: Elliott Kavanagh - Gone to play SANFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you think he'll play 100 games
If he can get a good run without any injuries yes. Has the ability, yet to prove his body can stand the heat.

Getting a free ride for seasons on end tends to bring about different expectations.

It shouldn't. Output is output and ability is ability, regardless of whether a player is being picked or not.

Should never be sub again, it's idiotic. Bomber may have proved us all wrong on Carlisle but I this is just idiotic.

Play him full games or play him full games in the VFL. Next year he should be picked and sticked. Let him play without expecting to be dropped the next week.

If O'Brien had Kav's awareness and touch in close he'd have played every game this year.

I'm yet to form an opinion either way on Kav, but it seems to me that his reputation is enhanced with every time he fails to perform at AFL level. Poor performance seems to be construed as evidence that he should be playing more.

I reckon the bloke wearing #17 wouldn't mind being held to those standards.
Maybe because the bloke wearing #17 has been gifted 93 games and is still not much chop. Kav has only played 7 and I reckon only 2 or 3 have been full games.

So you are calling it on 6 games and none where he has been 100% fit and twice as sub ?

I asked a fair question of VFL watchers - O'Brien seems to be a better prospect from what i've seen at AFL level - Hence my question for VFL watchers.

I've got a few friends down at the western jets and they year he was drafted they had all told me they expected him to be a better player than Hoskin-Elliott who went at pick 3 that year. The only knock on him at the time was he had dodgy hamstrings and whether he could over come them or not

Touted as a Top 5 pick in early 2011. Had a couple of hamstring injuries which resulted him in missing most of the TAC cup + his dad scaring away a few clubs in the interview process is the reason why he slide to pick 19. North/Richmond/Western Bulldogs were all interested in selecting him as well.

To be honest everything i've seen and read suggests that he likely won't make it. I hope I'm wrong but at AFL level he just lacks awareness and turns it over when he gets the ball plus he doesn't win big numbers of ball even at VFL level. He still has some time on his side - but considering his pre draft history he's actually been fit and healthy most of the time at Essendon, he just hasn't performed.

Even in VFL he's rarely in the bests compared to guys like Jetta, Steinberg, NOB etc and those guys aren't even getting games. I mean its not the be all and end of all but its certainly a strong indication. That said i thought if they were going to play him it shouldn't have been as the sub (particularly when Fantasia seemed like an obvious sub selection - both in player type/experience).

I asked a fair question of VFL watchers - O'Brien seems to be a better prospect from what i've seen at AFL level - Hence my question for VFL watchers.

Kavanagh is unquestionably the better prospect in my eyes, but will take longer. NOB i'm confident could do a good job next weekend if given a shot, while Elliott just needs to be persisted with to reap the rewards later on. Also has this rare ability to shark ruck taps at great pace and pump the ball forward, which no one else on our list has.

what I do want to point out about Kav just by glancing at his numbers is just how much footy he's missed, he was essentially crippled with injuries from his underaged TAC cup year in 2010 to sort of half way through 2012, and he's still missed so much footy I really think expectations need to be tempered beyond '3rd year should be gunning it'

Example:
J.Merrett, drafted 2011, 2 decent years in and around the TAC cup set up, represented Vic Country, 17 games in 2012 in the VFL and getting a debut late on and basically cementing a spot until recently. All up (tac+in the AFL system) 23 tac games, 4 u18 VC games, 24 VFL games, 28 AFL games = 79 games.

Kavanagh, also drafted 211, extremely highly rated as a teenager but persistent hammie issues limit him to 8 TAC cup games over 2 seasons and no chance to play for his state, carefully nursed through early on before putting a few together aside from this year's hammie problem which we were rightfully cautious about. All up (tac+VFL+AFL) 8 tac games, 37 VFL games, 7 AFL games = 52 games.

More than a season behind the bloke taken after him…

I think the argument would be over IF Kav had been given half the opportunities Melksham has.. Melksham was given the 'pick and stick' method.. meanwhile I don't know if Kav has played 2 'full' games at AFL level in a row... I don't think he has.

I would suggest that it is very very very difficult for an 'accumlator' style player to show his wares if he has never been given a stint of 2-3 full games in a row to find his feet at AFL level.

Miles at Richmond is showing what happens when a club overlooks the 'accumulator' in favour of their flashy counterparts. Kav has potential and is really SMART with the footy.. with most on this board acknowledging we have one of the dumbest teams in the league.. surely a bit of footy smarts can't hurt.

For me.. I think he has the potential to be a bit like Scott West.. perennially under-rated.. can't kick over 30m.. but is lethal by hand/vision in traffic.

Nice to see him being written off after 7 games.

don't rate him. He goes out with family friend claims he hasn't been given a shot at Essendon. He will be looking elsewhere next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't see how he'd end up being a wasted pick. Look at the handful of players taken after him.

19 - Elliot Kavangh
20 - Hayden Crozier - Has shown slightly more then Kav. Similar forward type to Jackson Merrett.
21 - Tom Mitchell - Was always going to go to Sydney - Non factor.
22 - Josh Bootsma - Delisted
23 - Murray Newman - Was last in a time trial that included his coach and several support staff. Currently in jail.
24 - Henry Schade - Yet to debut
25 - Seb Ross - Break out game against Geelong this year. 28 disposals. Will be decent player for St Kilda.

23 - Murray Newman - Was last in a time trial that included his coach and several support staff. Currently in jail.

Still better value than Bootsma.

I would suggest that it is very very very difficult for an 'accumlator' style player to show his wares if he has never been given a stint of 2-3 full games in a row to find his feet at AFL level.
I don't understand how his time in the VFL isn't a suitable place for him to show his wares. However, I do agree that he should be given an extended run at AFL level regardless just incase he is one of those players that might just need to realise what it takes to play AFL week in week out so he can get the best out of himself and then succeed in the AFL.

Pick #19 in 2011 Draft - played less than 10 games. Doesn't show any qualities of becoming a player from what I have seen.

Can Essendon fans explain:

Why he isn't getting a consistent go?
Is he going to be on the trade table at season's end?
Will any clubs be interested in such a player?

Contracted. Ask again in 12 months.

Pick #19 in 2011 Draft - played less than 10 games. Doesn't show any qualities of becoming a player from what I have seen.

Can Essendon fans explain:

Why he isn't getting a consistent go?
Strength of our midfield coupled with the fact that he's not versatile enough to play on a flank
Is he going to be on the trade table at season's end?
Highly, highly doubt it
Will any clubs be interested in such a player?
They'd be silly not to be

Is he a midfielder or will be be a FWD rotating into the midfield. Seems a big body, but maybe not the endurance to hold down permenant MID spot. I suppose Colyer, Howlett have the position he is vying for. But I just though we would of seen more of a Top 20 pick after 3 years. Generally if they haven't done much by now, they will struggle to be a "great" player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back