Delisted #28: Elliott Kavanagh - Gone to play SANFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Is he a midfielder or will be be a FWD rotating into the midfield. Seems a big body, but maybe not the endurance to hold down permenant MID spot. I suppose Colyer, Howlett have the position he is vying for. But I just though we would of seen more of a Top 20 pick after 3 years. Generally if they haven't done much by now, they will struggle to be a "great" player.

nah he's a predominantly inside mid, that's kinda my point. He's not supplanting Myers, Heppell, Watson or Hocking as an inside mid, and he's not versatile enough to play forward, or a good enough runner to justify playing him in the Colyer 'pocket rocket' role.

He's just got to bide his time and continue to build in the VFL at the moment unfortunately for him

nah he's a predominantly inside mid, that's kinda my point. He's not supplanting Myers, Heppell, Watson or Hocking as an inside mid, and he's not versatile enough to play forward, or a good enough runner to justify playing him in the Colyer 'pocket rocket' role.

He's just got to bide his time and continue to build in the VFL at the moment unfortunately for him
Wasn't he meant to be a great runner?

That was his first win as well from memory. Kicked a great goal as well.

Shame another injury.. I really rate him but he has never been given a chance at AFL level. Has he played two full games in a row at top level??

Say it again.. needs at least a month at the top level to find his feet before you can judge him.

At the risk of being overly repetitive on the point, his endurance is really the only thing that is holding him back.

He is a very smart footballer who thinks ahead of the game and uses the ball exceptionally well both in space and congestion.

His problem all year is that he just fades out of games so rather than dominating with 30+ possessions he averages high teens to early 20s.

Hopefully the latest set back is just a niggle that we didn't think was worth the risk (with the season being over). He needs the sort of pre-season that Browne had last year before the injury.

With AFL standard strength and endurance he could be quite a dynamic clearance player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel we need to start giving him games next year ahead of Howlett and Melksham to see what he could offer that they cant.

Guys like Mckenzie, Sheridan players taken around him have hardly taken off and even Crozier (he only just started showing his glimpses late with a bit of luck with a Ballas/Walters injury.

The Hawks have shown that players can remain on a list with limited opportunities and still be considered integral for the club's future plans. Nothing wrong with a long apprenticeship.

You are comparing Kavanagh to the Hawks players who win Liston medals, yet Kavanagh can't make the top 10 of the VFL B and F.

To be fair he did miss a lot of football this year with injury. Still he should be doing better in the VFL.

He didn't miss that much footy - and he only played two senior games - I doubt that he is AFL standard.

5:33. That vision.

I still keep coming back to this game.

He's too talented not to make it happen if we give him the opportunity, if that means trading Howlett to open up a spot, then we should give it heavy consideration

He played 13 VFL games. He probably didn't have much of a chance of making the top 10 regardless of how he played.

13 out of 18 - Not many VFL players would have played 13 games - Should have done better.

I still keep coming back to this game.

He's too talented not to make it happen if we give him the opportunity, if that means trading Howlett to open up a spot, then we should give it heavy consideration

Doing 2 or 3 things a game doesn't make you good enough - I continually told you guys/girls that Sylvia was over-rated as he has no consistency to his game.

Doing 2 or 3 things a game doesn't make you good enough - I continually told you guys/girls that Sylvia was over-rated as he has no consistency to his game.

No but doing 5-6 very constructive things in your 2nd game against a very good football side that doesn't give much away easily is more than enough to convince me that there's enough to persist with.

You may well be right, but I'd like to be making that call after 27 games rather than 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Back