Delisted #28: Elliott Kavanagh - Gone to play SANFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Been waiting for the replay to finish before writing this.

Was thoroughly impressed with Kav tonight. The stats (16 kicks, 5 handballs, 4 tackles) don't tell the whole story.

The most impressive part was his willingness to go and go again, that aggression to attack the contest, the repeat efforts. Trademarks in that impressive debut season (at VFL level).

I don't know but maybe being given that 'task' to keep Viney, Tyson then N.Jones quiet drove him to task. He was impressive, hope he shut a few of you up on here. With the hope of more senior game time on the cusp, I've never given up hope on Black Kavanagh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not at all, in fact I'd say it's one of his strengths.

Yeah I find that weird when people refer to his decision making as the problem. Isn't the main problem the general lack of four consistent quarters? Often gets 15-20 touches rather than 25-30.

This is the sort of aggression i want to see from Kav :cry:

20152803_Kav.jpg

Playing STYLE: Robert Harvey?

I still think his playing style is Trent Cotchin. Classy inside midfielder who may be able to find a bit on the outside but it's not where he is his most damaging.

Not sure if he can rest forward like Cotch can, never seen it before.

I still think his playing style is Trent Cotchin. Classy inside midfielder who may be able to find a bit on the outside but it's not where he is his most damaging.

Not sure if he can rest forward like Cotch can, never seen it before.
The player I'd liken him most to would be Ryan Griffen, albeit a much inferior one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The player I'd liken him most to would be Ryan Griffen, albeit a much inferior one.
Griffen is faster, more explosive and a better kick. Comparing apples to oranges.

Hence why I said that Kav is inferior to Griffen.

One of Kavs strengths is his two way running, which Griffen is elite at and why I compared the two.
That's what you pick? Kav plays in a completely different style. Griffen is your Dangerfield, Ablett, Martin, Swan type that bursts away from contests. Kavanagh is your weaving through the traffic type. Much more like Jack Redden.

He also has a similar loping gait to Cotchin which makes him look much slower than he is. Currently about 1/3 of the player which is the problem. I'm still confident that he'll make it though I'm not as confident that it will be with us.

Fair enough, I simply haven't seen enough of him play given I don't watch VFL, I barely caught any of the pre-season and then the limited senior opportunities. I recall a game in Perth vs I think Freo where he did a few nice things but I just haven't seen enough to form any sort of judgement.

He's played seven League games people.

He's an infant in terms of coming to terms with playing LEAGUE football. There's plenty of time to watch him sprout wings, sharpen his skills and learn how to play at the required League pace...which is flat out.

He's no born to get the ball in my first 10 games like a Wines.

He's just one of those kids who takes longer to get there.

The good thing is he looks determined when playing. He really does have a go and attack the ball.

I reckon he'll make it...but it's highly unlikely Kav will cement a senior spot this season.

Next year...

He's played seven League games people.

He's an infant in terms of coming to terms with playing LEAGUE football. There's plenty of time to watch him sprout wings, sharpen his skills and learn how to play at the required League pace...which is flat out.

He's no born to get the ball in my first 10 games like a Wines.

He's just one of those kids who takes longer to get there.

The good thing is he looks determined when playing. He really does have a go and attack the ball.

I reckon he'll make it...but it's highly unlikely Kav will cement a senior spot this season.

Next year...
If he doesn't show anything at AFL level this year, I don't reckon there is a next year for him.

Hopefully he does show something.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back