Delisted #28: Elliott Kavanagh - Gone to play SANFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't really understand how his career ended up unfolding at Essendon as it did.

He was drafted at pick 19 and very highly regarded at the time. I refuse to believe he is crap or anything of the sort.

I don't think he was treated at all well selection wise, and maybe he's the sort of guy who can drop his head a bit if he believes he's being dudded rather than working harder to make amends.

Either way, I can't help but feel for him.

Was highly rated as a junior, what went wrong?
Is he worth giving another chance as a DFA?

Pick him up, play him and profit. We only did one of the 3 for the last 4 years.

I'm still pretty confident in his ability if someone gives him a good go of it.

This time of the year is always sad. You never know what hidden factors such as personality and attitude have on players' success, guys who go well in juniors sometimes simply fail to thrive at the AFL level. It would've been good to give him another year under Worsfold to see if the a coach can bring out his best but I guess they've decided that if he hasn't shown enough in 4 years the chances of him getting there in a 5th are too slight to be worth the effort.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shane Hird

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan The Cult of Robbo Essendon Player Sponsor 2016
May 8, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
NYJ
Straight to the EDFL on $1000 a game.

Atavistic

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Team Coco
It's no shock that he got delisted. He was a lightly-framed inside mid who couldn't kick but had a great set of hands. I think his best game was that one against Freo in an away game, where his quick hands set up a few goals for us and helped get us over the line in what was a huge game for us. At the time I really thought he should have been given more games after that performance, but unfortunately for him it didn't happen and he seems to have regressed.

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Haha

398482-elliot-kavanagh.jpg

Yeah norf
What truth is there to his dad shutting other clubs out to pave the way to him getting to essendon?

Highly doubt we will touch him.

We were keen when he was looking for his trade, did the interviews etc.

His dad pretty much removed any clubs (outside of Essendon) ability to recruit him with the way he acted during the interview process.

Said North recruiters bullied/intimidated his son (seriously, have you seen Cam Joyce and Bryce Lewis? Nicest blokes you'll meet) and that he only wanted him at Essendon.

Can't remember what came of it but I think North lodged a complaint regarding draft tampering against Kavanaghs old man.

Aug 6, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Highly doubt we will touch him.

We were keen when he was looking for his trade, did the interviews etc.

His dad pretty much removed any clubs (outside of Essendon) ability to recruit him with the way he acted during the interview process.

Said North recruiters bullied/intimidated his son (seriously, have you seen Cam Joyce and Bryce Lewis? Nicest blokes you'll meet) and that he only wanted him at Essendon.

Can't remember what came of it but I think North lodged a complaint regarding draft tampering against Kavanaghs old man.
THE father of a leading AFL draft prospect could be investigated for his behaviour towards several clubs' recruiters.

It is understood at least three clubs have been disappointed with the conduct of a father of a top-20 draft prospect.

The Herald Sun has chosen not to name the player.

At least one interstate club is considering asking the AFL to investigate. A recruiting source alleged the father had acted aggressively, in an attempt to ward the club off recruiting his son.

The league is aware of the concern, but was adamant today that an official investigation has not been lodged.
I still think if any club rated his ability they'd take him.

I still think if any club rated his ability they'd take him.
Question is, would anyone take the punt or actually rate him now?
Still listed on the EFC website at 75kg. Essendon could be described as having a couple of midfield openings throughout the season and really didn't set the world on fire.

I reckon rookie slot at best is his best option.

Ess_don

Club Legend
Sep 11, 2009
Sudden Valley
AFL Club
Essendon
Meh id be just happy my son was given an opportunity.

True, me too.. but keep in mind Kav was touted to be a top 10 selection at the time and was pretty much guaranteed to be picked up, so I guess his old man felt like he had the luxury to pick where he wants his son to play.

Real shame, I still remember tuning into the live draft radio coverage at the time and hearing a big cheer in the background when his name was called out and the general feeling was that it was an absolute steal that he slid all the way to us.. haha, great memories.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back