Player Watch 28. Paul Puopolo

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsartic...2/default.aspx

Ht: 175cm
Wt: 75kg

Small but strongly-built defender with excellent speed and the ability to break the lines. Transformed himself into one of the most reliable back pocket/run-with players in the SANFL last season, and did number on fancied Woodville-West Torrens wingman Jared Polec in the second half of their preliminary final.

Round 7, 2011 Hawthorn travelled to AAMI Park to play Port Adelaide in the Friday night game on 6 May 2011. A venue and a team that the Hawks have trouble winning against and at.

The Hawks added two first gamers for this match. Isaac Smith and Paul Puopolo.

For Puopolo it was on the back of some strong performances at Box Hill in the recent weeks.

Puopolo's first game stats are good.
Kicks 9
Marks 7
Handballs 6
Tackles: 2
Frees Against: 2

Puopolo is the 11,941st player to play AFL/VFL and the 870th Hawk player to play for the club.

With the Hawks battling the Power all night to finish all over them in the last quarter the two new boys enjoyed singing the club song in middle of the circle before the other players gave them the traditional gatorade bath!

Poppy easier on tongue for Puopolo's teammates

By: Matt Windley

A NICKNAME was the thing Paul Puopolo needed to feel he belonged at AFL level.
His teammates have been asked about the 23-year-old's name in recent weeks -- but few have been able to say it correctly.

Even the Hawks' media department was forced to issue a release on the eve of his Round 7 debut against Port Adelaide, to state that the name is pronounced "Pew-op-olo".

New nickname

"I've got Poppy," he said this week.

"It's good enough. I used to be Pup, but we've already got a Pup (Liam Shiels), so Poppy will stick.

"It makes me sound a bit old, but that's all right."

Poppy easier on tongue for Puopolo's teammates

By: Matt Windley

A NICKNAME was the thing Paul Puopolo needed to feel he belonged at AFL level.
His teammates have been asked about the 23-year-old's name in recent weeks -- but few have been able to say it correctly.

Even the Hawks' media department was forced to issue a release on the eve of his Round 7 debut against Port Adelaide, to state that the name is pronounced "Pew-op-olo".

New nickname

"I've got Poppy," he said this week.

"It's good enough. I used to be Pup, but we've already got a Pup (Liam Shiels), so Poppy will stick.

"It makes me sound a bit old, but that's all right."
Let them call you what ever they like ,just keep on improving/ gaining experience each week as you have

Great Start to your Career

GO HAWKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was at that game, poppy wasnt on him in the first half thats why Polec ran riot ,racked up heaps of possies and the Eagles looked unstoppable.

Bassett made the move and it was goodnight for Polecs second half and Norwood went on and Won

Good player Polec ,seen him come up in the Junior ranks at my Local club the Ramblers
best of luck to him with the lions (good kid as well)

2011 Round 8 Hawthorn vs St Kilda

9 tackles?! Awesome work. This guy is such a gun replacement for Campbell Brown. Hard at it and scared of nothing. Sure he will drift forward in future weeks. (Writing in hindsight is always easy)

Kicks 9
Handballs 6
Disposals 15
Marks 7
Tackles 9
Frees For 1
Frees Against -

2011 Round 12 Hawthorn vs Geelong

First time his disposal efficiency has been below 85%, which shows what kind of pressure a great team like Geelong can apply.

Kicks 8
Handballs 12
Disposals 20
Marks 3
Tackles 1
Frees For 1
Frees Against -

Disposal Efficiency 75%

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2011 Round 15 Hawthorn vs Collingwood

I reckon this is the game that Puopolo truly announced that he is easily in the Hawthorn best 22 and will be there for years to come. Played hard at it all day and with his mature body, broke tackles and put his hand up when it was his turn. Showed some skill up forward and showed that he will be an extra valuable asset with the ability to shut down an attacking opposition forward, keep the ball in our forward line, and also score goals himself. Really great player and outstanding find by the Hawthorn recruiters.
Kicks 10
Handballs 16
Disposals 26
Marks 2
Tackles 2
Frees For 2
Frees Against -
Goals 1
Behinds

1%'s 6

2011 Round 16 Hawthorn vs Brisbane

Playing the game, almost entirely in the forward line, Puopolo has entrenched himself in the Hawthorn team. With fierce tackling, goal scoring, dishing it off for team mates, and a host of other team orientated stuff, it's a pleasure to watch Puopolo play with the confidence of a 100 game player. His hard, but fair, attitude at the ball has sure to have been noticed by other teams and I'm sure he'll soon be a feared, but respected opponent. It's safe to say that Campbell Brown can apply the 30+ zinc sunscreen, guzzle his XXXX and count his cash, comfortable in the knowledge that Hawthorn has found a near perfect replacement.

Kicks 5
Handballs 10
Disposals 15
Marks 5
Tackles 4
Frees For 2
Frees Against 2
Goals 2
Behinds -

Goal Assists 2

2011 Round 19 Hawthorn vs Fremantle - Hard Nut

This is the type of game that suited the Hawthorn hard nut down to the ground, with teeming rain, gusting wind and plenty of loose ball to be won at all cost. Puopolo was in the packs, picking up the pill with relative ease, and at times cutting & weaving through Fremantle players as if they were witches hats... in a similar style to Cyril! Outstanding stuff. :thumbsu:

Kicks 6
Handballs 15
Disposals 21
Marks 4
Frees For 1
Frees Against -
Tackles 3
Goals -
Behinds -

Contested Possessions 13

2011 Round 24: Hawthorn vs Gold Coast Suns - Outstanding!

Great game by Puopolo. When the heat went on in the last quarter, with Hawthorn trying to fend off the fast finishing Suns, he delivered at both ends of the ground in amazing fashion. His first effort was to run down an opposition player, who was streaming into attack, and get a free kick. His second effort was to run forward and drill the sealing goal for the mighty Hawks. Outstanding effort, outstanding season and will be a big part of Hawthorn's finals campaign.

Kicks 11
Handballs 7
Disposals 18
Marks 5
Frees For 2
Frees Against -
Tackles 4
Goals 1
Behinds -

Re: 2011 Player Review -SUGGESTED FORMAT NOW IN FIRST POST - Post your reviews here!

Paul Puopolo 2011

Paul_Puopolo.jpg

Height: 174cm
Weight: 76kg
DOB: 02-12-1987
Recruited: Norwood

2011 Stats
Matches: 20
Goals: 8
Kicks: 175, Avg 8.8
Handballs: 172, Avg 8.6
Marks: 72, Avg 3.6
Tackles: 68, Avg 3.4

B&F: 82 votes (11th)

SC: 1222 $369,000 (+265,400)
DT: 1379 $256800 (+164,300)

Rocky Balboa.

Tough. Quick. Good skills. Agile. Dexterous. Good closing speed. Plays in defense, in the midfield, up forward. Is 6 foot 6 in heart. Honestly- Poppy blew me away this year in how versatile, and how good a footballer he really is- and not just for a first year player. There were moments where he showed the toughness of Campbell Brown, but there were other moments where Poppy side stepped two opponents and hit Buddy lace out. Exquisite skills from someone who comes across as unassuming- nuggety- and someone who on appearance could have severe limitations in their game.

I’m not going to get into a debate about the top 6 Hawthorn players- or top 10, but Poppy finished 11th in the B & F in his first year of AFL. That is an outstanding result. It says that he has the potential to be a top 10 player at a top 4 club, and that is the challenge I would set for him in his career- however long that may be. This isn’t to say he is perfect, or the most talented player I have seen- there are limitations in his game, however he seemingly has the work ethic to eradicate these deficiencies, which says to me he has the potential to keep improving on an upward curve and not just be a player who fills out the middle of your list.

Season high stats for Poppy came in Rnd 23 versus the Doggies. 27 touches, 10 marks, 5 tackles. Highlight for me was probably the semi-final versus Sydney where he bobbed up and kicked 3 goals. You want to love this guy, and he’s one of those players who rewards you for that investment. If I am critical of anything in particular, it would be his focus remaining consistent through the entire course of the game. I felt there were moments where he didn’t necessarily let the team down, more he let his preceding excellence be diminished by a 5 minute period where his opponent kicked 2-3 goals. Clearly not a reflection of his whole game, and it may seem finicky- but I would like someone like him to come away with some clean sheets and revel in those stats.

Season 2012 should see Poppy continue with his consistent form. I would like to see him have the base to play more through the midfield as his breakaway speed from a tight contest or a pack situation would be a valuable asset and give us greater flexibility in the middle. Super first year from the lad. Go the Pop!

Motto for 2012: Endurance

Paul Puopolo

893097-puopolo.jpg

Number: 28
Height: 173cm
Weight: 76kg
DOB: 02-12-1987

Puopolo had an outstanding debut season for the Hawks, starting down back and then drifting up for stints on the forward as a defensive player, but soon he started finding the goals. His best effort was probably his effort in his second final where he provided loads of forward pressure and grab his highest return to date, of 3 goals.

2012 will prove a bigger hurdle for the talented player as he may have to overcome the dreaded second year blues that some players experience as other clubs are now fully aware of all their capabilities. He's the second smallest player on Hawthorn's list, but, pound for the pound, probably the toughest. An injury interrupted pre-season will see a late start to the season, but once he's fit and ready, I'm sure he'll be up in the forward line and center of the ground, at the bottom of pack or busting the lines. Fast, hard, tough and ready for 2012.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back