Retired #29: Patrick Ambrose - Officially retired - 11/8

29 - [PLAYERCARD]Patrick Ambrose[/PLAYERCARD].jpg

Contract Status: Retired. 11/8
Last Game Played: Elimination Final 2019 (injured)

Injury Status: Injured, stayed in Vic with a young baby - 18/7
Sore, finished the VFL game on the bench - 29/6

Last edited by a moderator:

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
#AmbroseMidfield
I don't see it....doesn't have the instincts or smarts to play midfield IMO. Not a forward either.

I actually think his best chance is as a lockdown defender - has the strength, endurance and hardness. Speed and distribution would be the challenges.

Love his effort but suspect he wont have a meaningful AFL career.

Apr 6, 2008
coburg
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Australian cricket team
Who's that who picks the ball up and handpasses it?
Rhetorical.

I agree with Ethan that Ambrose should be tried out on the ball. I don't mind if it's in the VFL either. I think that it should be as a tagger though. He has all the attibutes of being elite at that. There is also a very good chance it could teach him where to run to to win the ball. That could see him develop into a handy half forward.

I think it means that Melksham and Hocking play as ball winning mids, if they can keep their spot doing that. That will be the relief for Jobe and Goddard, allowing them to go forward a bit. Always having one of them with Daniher and a 2nd ruck would be an ok patch job for our lack of KPFs for now.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
Rhetorical.

I agree with Ethan that Ambrose should be tried out on the ball. I don't mind if it's in the VFL either. I think that it should be as a tagger though. He has all the attibutes of being elite at that. There is also a very good chance it could teach him where to run to to win the ball. That could see him develop into a handy half forward.

I think it means that Melksham and Hocking play as ball winning mids, if they can keep their spot doing that. That will be the relief for Jobe and Goddard, allowing them to go forward a bit. Always having one of them with Daniher and a 2nd ruck would be an ok patch job for our lack of KPFs for now.

Its an enticing idea if he could develop as a successful tagger. With his size, strength, endurance and tackling prowess could be a good option for some of the bigger bodied midfield guns. Would definitely want him to spend some time in the VFL doing it first though.

I like Ambrose but i don't think he should be in the best 22 (except for all the injuries we have now). The coaches need to develop on his strengths and find a way for him to be a more effective footballer than he is. He's still young so he may still be able to get there. Right now he just falls a little short.

He offers nothing except hard tackling.

And if a few others decided to stop playing like Jane we would not need him in the side. Trouble is we have way too many Jane's at the moment so we
need someone who plays a bit hard, 9 possessions is not noteworthy but the 8 tackles and 22 pressure acts which was the second highest behind Howlett is what will keep him in the side.

The team has too many marshmallows. Ambrose needs to play every week.
Wait, so you bag Stanton week in week out yet defend spuds like Ambrose?

Apr 6, 2008
coburg
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Australian cricket team
Its an enticing idea if he could develop as a successful tagger. With his size, strength, endurance and tackling prowess could be a good option for some of the bigger bodied midfield guns. Would definitely want him to spend some time in the VFL doing it first though.

I like Ambrose but i don't think he should be in the best 22 (except for all the injuries we have now). The coaches need to develop on his strengths and find a way for him to be a more effective footballer than he is. He's still young so he may still be able to get there. Right now he just falls a little short.
I personally think he could learn it in the AFL. I don't mind if he starts as a tagger in the forward line.

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
typical polarising figure...

people want tangible stat based resuts to back their bias

cleary he offers things that are not precisley measured. how do you measure opposition players hearing footsteps or thinking twice before taking possession?

If he can take what hes got and add a few more facets, we have a player. Nothing wrong with learning on the job - he is offering something we lack while that happens.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
typical polarising figure...

people want tangible stat based resuts to back their bias

cleary he offers things that are not precisley measured. how do you measure opposition players hearing footsteps or thinking twice before taking possession?

If he can take what hes got and add a few more facets, we have a player. Nothing wrong with learning on the job - he is offering something we lack while that happens.

I suppose the frustration is that if we are getting AFL level attack on the ball from the whole team and the man (see Hawks yesterday) there is no need for this type of player.

I can't think of his equivalent in any good side.

Cosmogramma

Team Captain
Apr 12, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Reminiscent of Leroy Jetta running into the open goal against Collingwood.
Oh my god my brain. I remember everyone around standing up and celebrating whilst I stayed in my seat saying thinking, no not Jetta. To Jetta's credit though he is the reason we won that game if you look at the previous two goals he was the reason they occurred.

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
I suppose the frustration is that if we are getting AFL level attack on the ball from the whole team and the man (see Hawks yesterday) there is no need for this type of player.

I can't think of his equivalent in any good side.

I guess from my perspective, the team aggression that a team like Hawthorn/Sydney/Freo exhibits is something we all aspire to, but it comes with a seasoned list. We had the beautiful mix of agression and skill in 2000 - was a sight to behold - when you have it its awesome.

Its no coincidence that those who are right in the window are those who exhert the most amounts of team physicality.

But it seems we have now gone down the path of youth - with this comes the slow build to becoming a list of seasoned bodies capable of exerting physicality.

While this transformation happens it seems like we will have to carry the likes of Ambrose and Howlett along for the ride.. well carry may not be the right word, but we will need their bodies, tackling and pressure acts to compliment the other parts of our list...and to make them stand taller

I reckon its no coincidence the minute we turned to youth, Howlett and Ambrose came straight back in also. Every team is a balancing act, need to balance youth and experience, skill and agession, pace and aerobic capacity, our kids would get walked over without these two clearing a few paths and putting some doubt into the opposition.

We will know we have transformed to the place we want to be when these guys are no longer required.

FWIW your right about finding his equivalent in a top side - hard to find any which shows where we are as a club. Maybe Max Rooke or Jarrod Molloy? (by the way these two were much loved by their own team mates and fans for the acts they delivered, but rarley hit the stats pages hard)

Back