Autopsy 2nd Prelim Final - Hawthorn v Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Port had a chance for the lead with a minute to go, difficult kick from the boundry line was close but rushed through. Those chances don't come often.

Hawthorn, the luckiest team ever I think. They have now won 3 prelims in a row by less than a kick.

That kick wasn't even close to being a goal, if only Gray or Wingard was in that position!

If Port Adelaide had taken more opportunities that they had worked hard for, there wouldn't be any whining about the umps in this thread.

To get 12 shots against the Hawks in any quarter is terrific. To only convert that into 3 majors, that is disappointing.

They were brilliant outside those few misses in the 1st quarter, and it's likely cost them. They will be better for it.

Do you think he will get the recognition he deserves from the umpires this year

No

I would like to be wrong but the umpires seem to pick the same old names they hear in the media year in year out
Next year they will notice him - it will be interesting to see where he starts in the betting next year

It's similar to Lewis who has had an outstanding year but just doesn't get the recognition - it could also have something to do with letting umps know what he thinks of them :p

Thought Lewis going off with the knee injury was really bad for us.

Also thought we got a bit too comfy with our lead. Roughead's missed snap would have iced the game.

Not all that dissimilar to the Freo/port game, except the winning team dominated quarters 2/3 instead of 3/4. The losing team in both sides failed to capitalise early when on top.

Robbie Gray once again played a great game - he really deserves to win the brownlow
At times he is unstoppable - just moves through packs like he is invisible
Just a nightmare to match up on

His lateral movement for someone who has done an ACL is incredible. There was a play where he just danced around a few Hawks, and i had to actually stop and remember what injuries he had been through.

He is obviously physically all good from that injury to pull that move off, but he is also a great footy mind to be able to read the play instinctively like that and make something out of nothing.

You can't teach that.

His lateral movement for someone who has done an ACL is incredible. There was a play where he just danced around a few Hawks, and i had to actually stop and remember what injuries he had been through.

He is obviously physically all good from that injury to pull that move off, but he is also a great footy mind to be able to read the play instinctively like that and make something out of nothing.

You can't teach that.

Shat bricks every time he got the ball.

Had a sneaky $10 on him for brownlow a few weeks ago. Hope he wins despite that though.

Shat bricks every time he got the ball.

Had a sneaky $10 on him for brownlow a few weeks ago. Hope he wins despite that though.

He has a good chance. I'd love to see him do it. Would be a great come back story.

Port had a chance for the lead with a minute to go, difficult kick from the boundry line was close but rushed through. Those chances don't come often.

Hawthorn, the luckiest team ever I think. They have now won 3 prelims in a row by less than a kick.
It would have been lucky if they called it a goal. The rest of your statement highlights the difference between creating opportunity and taking it.

1st quarter - Port kept Hawthorn in it with terrible kicking for goal.
2nd quarter - Hawthorn lifted and so did the umpires (for Hawthorn).
3rd quarter - Hawthorn got the game on their terms and tore Port apart.
4th quarter - Gone for all money, Port came from nowhere to nearly pinch it. Wow.

What an incredible game, glad I was there.

Roughy enormous, Boaky outstanding, Wingard who was having a Barry Crocker pulled his finger out in the last quarter. Hodge just brilliant, great smother and tackle (dubious decision)

And they say footy is struggling. It's going more than ok thanks.

Thought Lewis going off with the knee injury was really bad for us.

Also thought we got a bit too comfy with our lead. Roughead's missed snap would have iced the game.

Not all that dissimilar to the Freo/port game, except the winning team dominated quarters 2/3 instead of 3/4. The losing team in both sides failed to capitalise early when on top.
Thought it was a corkie, not a knee injury?

Very questionable umpiring in the 2nd/4th Hawks Way

Port should have done better in the 1st quarter

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would say that there were a fair few contentious decisions and when you're more or less supporting one of teams its easy to ignore those that went in 'your' favour. Both teams should be recognised for playing a great game unlike my lot last night, congrats to hawthorn and i know it doesn't help but same to port! Best of luck to sydney and hawthorn next week too. Finally, back to the umpires, we really need to get them to train for under pressure scenarios, rule changes for next season too. Far too many crucial errors in a game of such high importance, its just not acceptable and as you can see, overshadows what was otherwise an absolutely tremendous game

I would say that there were a fair few contentious decisions and when you're more or less supporting one of teams its easy to ignore those that went in 'your' favour. Both teams should be recognised for playing a great game unlike my lot last night, congrats to hawthorn and i know it doesn't help but same to port! Best of luck to sydney and hawthorn next week too. Finally, back to the umpires, we really need to get them to train for under pressure scenarios, rule changes for next season too. Far too many crucial errors in a game of such high importance, its just not acceptable and as you can see, overshadows what was otherwise an absolutely tremendous game
Was still an awesome game... :D Best game of the year so far...

I was at the game - sportsmate app said knee
Looked like a knee to just above his knee a lower down cork, fingers crossed that's what it is don't want good players missing biggest games

I'm absolutely gutted.

Don't like the bitching about the umpires. There were a couple of very very harsh calls, but that is no different to the other ~200 games played each year. Doesn't mean that I didn't lose my s**t when Jonas got pinged for that however, but it did not cost us the game.

Hard to take the lack of composure in front of goal, particularly early. Everyone's been through it though. North 1998. Geelong 2008. St Kilda 2009. Hawthorn 2012. Fremantle 2013 and last week. Even bloody East Freo last Sunday.

Well done Hawthorn. Great side full of fantastic footballers. Will be tough squeezing Rioli in somehow.

Will watch what will hopefully be another sensational game of footy next week, but feel bloody empty right now.

Umpires tried their best to get Port over the line but Hawthorn just too good.
10665687_1553008234911580_1762614933753211230_n.jpg

I don't understand why people are blaming the umpires for the Hawthorn win

The umpires did enough for Port by giving them 2 goals in the last quarter

As a neutral supporter who doesn't really have an affinity or otherwise for either team (Hawks beat us last year and Port last week), i'm struggling to understand the whinging by all and sundry. You don't cough up a 30 point lead so late in the game and make the miracle comeback very often. Port had too many passengers during the stages that the hawks got on top. The old 'bad kicking is bad football', etc (well apparently not when Port do it?). There were disgraceful umpiring calls both ways - i'll get back to this.

Actually I do understand the people grandstanding for Port here a little;
- Port play attractive football
- Plenty of people dislike the hawks
- Everyone likes an underdog, especially during a comeback
Hell I wanted to see Port get up too, it looked like a forgone conclusion and they just tore the game the * up. Electric!

Unfortunately, the main thing I take out of the finals so far though is this:
The umpires have forgotten that they normally step the * up this time of year. Normally we get about half the free kicks we ever get and s**t gets real. Only the obvious ones get paid. They remember what holding the ball ******* looks like. So many of the games become outstanding. It's the time I look forward to most, whether my team are playing or not.
This year there's been plenty of s**t kicks paid and the game has been far poorer for it. It sucks because finals footy is the s**t.

I'm absolutely gutted.

Don't like the bitching about the umpires. There were a couple of very very harsh calls, but that is no different to the other ~200 games played each year. Doesn't mean that I didn't lose my s**t when Jonas got pinged for that however, but it did not cost us the game.

Hard to take the lack of composure in front of goal, particularly early. Everyone's been through it though. North 1998. Geelong 2008. St Kilda 2009. Hawthorn 2012. Fremantle 2013 and last week. Even bloody East Freo last Sunday.

Well done Hawthorn. Great side full of fantastic footballers. Will be tough squeezing Rioli in somehow.

Will watch what will hopefully be another sensational game of footy next week, but feel bloody empty right now.
Quality post. I'll admit it. If port had won tonight I would not have been the usual fecked off loser. Just disappointed we played so defensively in the last 10 and were smashed by a team that played all or nothing. Many teams have nothing left. Port could have played 10 more.

1st quarter - Port kept Hawthorn in it with terrible kicking for goal.
2nd quarter - Hawthorn lifted and so did the umpires (for Hawthorn).
3rd quarter - Hawthorn got the game on their terms and tore Port apart.
4th quarter - Gone for all money, Port came from nowhere to nearly pinch it. Wow.

Havn't read a hawk supporter acknowledge this yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back