Review 2nd Preliminary Final - Box Hill Hawks v Williamstown, 14 September 2014, 2.15pm @ North Port Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

20.6 When an AFL Club is eliminated from the AFL Final Series on the same weekend as the VFL Grand Final, AFL listed players must qualify for selection under Regulation 20.2.
20.2 says six games.
Interesting it does not specify home and away games and McEvoy has now played six including finals so we could test that one.
Just one more reason we have to win our PF on Saturday then.

20.6 When an AFL Club is eliminated from the AFL Final Series on the same weekend as the VFL Grand Final, AFL listed players must qualify for selection under Regulation 20.2.
20.2 says six games.
Interesting it does not specify home and away games and McEvoy has now played six including finals so we could test that one.

Every ruddy station had someone from Willy, grizzling about BB playing. he has only played 5 games including today. He hasn't played 6 games with the BHH yet. If you didn't know there were 3 players over 200 cm, you sure as hell would know it by Fri ( 2 Days ago) they repeated over and over. So pleased we beat them, because BB was permitted to play..

Great game and great to come away with the win despite Willy looking like they had the momentum in the last despite us having the breeze.

Macca looked much better in the second half I felt, some strong marks and seemed to be in it more, however I'm critical of him not appearing to jump at ruck contests still.

Woody everywhere, love the way he goes about it. Heart was in throat when he went down the race.

Hated seeing Kennedy go down in the last in the process of taking what could have been a goal-saving mark deep inside their forward 50. The kid looked distraught. Wishing him all the best but it didn't look promising.

Hopefully Wangers ankle isn't too bad either.

Every ruddy station had someone from Willy, grizzling about BB playing. he has only played 5 games including today. He hasn't played 6 games with the BHH yet. If you didn't know there were 3 players over 200 cm, you sure as hell would know it by Fri ( 2 Days ago) they repeated over and over. So pleased we beat them, because BB was permitted to play..
The funny thing is Williamstown broke the rules regarding poaching players from other clubs this year
The rule is you are only allowed a maximum 3 players from the same VFL club to come to your club
Williamstown took 4 players from the Northern Blues, of which 3 of them played today!

Shocking looking injury for Kennedy. Silver lining was it gave us a chance to take a breath and steady. In fact I was staggered they didn't hold up the game with a stretcher - what was the go there?

Hopefully Schoey can come in for him if we win Saturday.

Gee we ran out of legs in the last qtr and willi had all the mometum by taking the game on,a lucky bounce out of a pack for a clavier murthy goal saved the day really and big boys telling marks near the end..I though willi wouldn't be able to run with us after half time but credit to them they outrun us.

The funny thing is Williamstown broke the rules regarding poaching players from other clubs this year
The rule is you are only allowed a maximum 3 players from the same VFL club to come to your club
Williamstown took 4 players from the Northern Blues, of which 3 of them played today!

And didn't they Breach the Salary Cap last year. Nothing has been said about that either..!

Common sense would say that any Hawthorn listed player who is not selected for our prelim Saturday evening should be eligible for Sunday. I'd use the general managers rule for that one.

Wow! Well that was a bit close for comfort :eek: Was hoping it would be all sewn up by 3/4 time so I could leave early as it took me half a day to get there - no such luck. We really let them back in in the third quarter but thankfully were able to fight it out in the end. Was not surprised in a way that Willy had so much run late in the game after seeing what they did last week to Werribee although you would have thought our week's rest would have offset that to a certain extent. McEvoy was immense in the latter part of the game and says a lot about his character that he put in such a great effort when at the beginning of the year he would have reasonably expected to be playing for a Hawthorn premiership not a Box Hill one at this end of the season. Woody was great all day and I thought Gus was good in patches especially when we needed our defense to stand up in the last quarter. Reckon Xav Murphy is an absolute cracker and has had a great year. Obviously have some injury worries for next week but hopefully have the depth to cover it. Sicily is a very talented player but, fair dinkum, he needs to get some anger management training in the off season before he costs us a match!

Williamstown were very admirable wanting to face a full strength Box Hill team by petitioning to have the Hawthorn #1 ruckman play against them instead of our #3 ruckman

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the Kelly Gang out there, Kel ran with Kane Lambert and kept him quiet. All day Willi put heavy screens on Kel but as expected he just rolled through them. Kel played on ball for most of the day and would seem to being groomed to play a Sewell type role as a strong inside mid.

Hallahan started brightly enough. His influence in the second half seemed less. He should be doing better.

Lowden was dominant, surprised if he does not get named as Emergency or better this week.

For the Kelly Gang out there, Kel ran with Kane Lambert and kept him quiet. All day Willi put heavy screens on Kel but as expected he just rolled through them. Kel played on ball for most of the day and would seem to being groomed to play a Sewell type role as a strong inside mid.

Hallahan started brightly enough. His influence in the second half seemed less. He should be doing better.

Lowden was dominant, surprised if he does not get named as Emergency or better this week.
I'd expect him to hold his spot for the GF....

;)

Some concerns he may not play this week ESC? Was concussed in the first 5 minutes of the game - spent considerable time with the doctor on the bench. Looked very sore and sorry from then on, and really didn't do much.

That said - apart from a goal at the start of the third - I didn't really notice Lambert. So maybe Kelly just did what was required.

I thought Hallahan was solid. What really kills his game - and it's a common theme with Lock, Murphy, Isles and even Woody - is that he turns it over far too much.

Their kicking is just rubbish at times. Harsh assessment, but it's that which will cost BHH greatly if it happens Sunday.

Hallahan and Woodward play in the area with most pressure so some shoddy kicks can be expected. This is why Pendlebury, Mitchell and Ablett are rated so highly. I just wonder about the times when 38 and 39 are in the clear. Is that disposal good enough?

Saw Kel cop some serious whacks as Willi tried to break the tag. No offence to Kel but I have no problem with taggers being treated in this manner.

Kicking is an issue. Hallahan can kick but can be sloppy at times, he has enough skill to hit targets more often than not. Woody is just a kick, he needs to take Sammy's path and keep his kicks under 40 metres. I love Willsmore's kicking and Sicily is not far behind. Brand is not too shabby, can certainly bomb it.

Write up on the match here at the Box Hill Hawks website with lots of quotes from Marco Bello. It was definitely Kennedy's knee that he hurt taking that great mark, and while they are not specific, it sounds serious and he definitely won't play next week. Hartung injured his foot and and Wangerneen his ankle (think we all knew about Wanger's ankle but I wasn't sure what had happened to Billy). No mention of Grimley who looked to me to have hurt his arm in some way in the last quarter although he didn't go off.

Best Players: B. McEvoy , A. Woodward , M. Hallahan , X. Murphy , A. Kennedy , L. Lowden

http://boxhillhawks.com.au/hawks-claw-out-seagulls-in-epic-preliminary-final-71.html

ACL for Kennedy apparently. Shocking news.
Seeing the replay a few times I was certain it wouldn't be anything but. Was probably the worst knee twist/landing I've seen at any level of footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back