Preview 2nd Preliminary Final Port Adelaide vs Hawthorn - Destiny Beckons

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry then mate, my bad, must've misread/understood your OP. No probs.

That's what I wanted to know, as in theory we could play anyone in the SANFL GF or finals even if they haven't played enough qualifying games if the Power are still involved in AFL finals,I wanted to know if the VFL was in the same boat with rules as that.Personally I'm happy to see Suckling in your 22 for Sewell, Suckling can kill you with ball in hand but I feel his defensive work and accountability is lacking.I want to see Ollie and Lewis go head to head, Kane will get Mitchell, then the other midfielders will pobably battle head to head depending on who you lot tag for us.Your forward line is a worry as always, I feel we have the defenders unlike most of the comp to attempt to match up with em one on one in Hombsch, Carlile, Jonas, Trengove, or O'Shea except a small match up for Puopolo a player i rate highly but Pittard played really well last week one on one with Walterd,but the supply depends on the midfieldOur forward line throws match ups at you lot you aren't exactly stocked up on small defenders to cover Gray, Chad, Neade or Monfries.Basically it's a midfield battle, whoever wins that and gets the supply in better will win (as most games).The Ceglar/Hale battle with Lobbe will be huge as well but I expect Lobbe to do his normal job and he covers well going the other way as compared to McIntosh in your last game against Geelong. I'm expecting this game to be close as hell all day.There is that summary about the 2 sides ya wanted to hear?

Good luck on the weekend, here is hoping for a North vs Port GF, good to get some fresh meat on at the big dance.

I don't mind the Hawks but they have had enough time in the sun.

Sorry mate but your 'trying' way too hard to come up with things tHere. Cyril Rioli is a Hawthorn player and they'll do whatever they want with him so why don't you worry about the 22 that will be out there in the senior side.
Mods

really surprised they dropped sewell, tough hard player, seasoned finals campaigner (real campaigner, not cnt) has killed us with clearances in the past, i assume they are worried about our run but i rate sewell highly and would think his style of play is needed in tough hard finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm a tad more confident with Sewell not being in for them.Suckling while a elite kick, is extremely suspect under pressure, with Chad, Neadey, Robbie buzzing around he can be prone to giving up goals and his defensive skills aren't that great if he lines up at half back.The whole Cyril thing reaks of arrogance to me, he's playing in the reserves game to be ready for next week? That's how I have read it, didn't a certain team say something about travel and 6 day breaks when we faced them last week? Quietly confident still maybe a touch more so.
Wouldn't it be more arrogant if they play an unfit Cyril against you guys? Anyway good luck, I don't want to see Cyril against the dogs.

Like last week we have to run, run and run all day and carry the ball like we did when we were the dominate team in the comp earlier this year. Polec, White, Boak, Hammer, Wingard, Neade, Jasper, Broadie, The Bushranger, Robbie, Ebo and Gus time for those searing runs and multiple bounces.

And its time for Bobby Carlile to finally do that 3 or 4 bounce run and goal like David Dench used to do when he changed how full backs played in North's dominate era in the mid 1970's I have been calling for - for about 6 years.

Look at the running bounce stats for the comp this year.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/fts_team_rankings?type=TT&year=2014&sby=32&advv=Y

1. Port. 365
2. North 324
3. Calt.. 304

6. Haw 237

13. Syd 174

Thursday night so I am calling it.......

Port to kick their arse.

Port by 38.

;)

10659176_10152482151037054_7624020977140983207_n.jpg

You'll like morons if ya don't have a next week for him to play in.Just the way I read the selection but each to their own
He needs some match conditioning. It is too big a risk to play him in a cut throat AFL prelim because he simply doesn't have the run in the legs. It is not arrogant, it is the position we are in which is not ideal. If he was fit enough to run out a full AFL game, he would be playing against you guys. The plan is for him to play about a half in the GF for Box Hill if we win on Saturday arvo. That way he has run in the legs if we happen to get through. Ask yourself, would you want Robbie Gray going into a prelim with no run for 15 weeks and a fair chance of breaking down??? Would you be happy to be a rotation down for most of the game in a hot prelim?? that is your answer. We have won plenty of games without him, why throw the game into disarray if we don't have to.
People thinking that it is Hawthorn being arrogant need to kick the little man complex.

I'm a tad more confident with Sewell not being in for them.Suckling while a elite kick, is extremely suspect under pressure, with Chad, Neadey, Robbie buzzing around he can be prone to giving up goals and his defensive skills aren't that great if he lines up at half back.The whole Cyril thing reaks of arrogance to me, he's playing in the reserves game to be ready for next week? That's how I have read it, didn't a certain team say something about travel and 6 day breaks when we faced them last week? Quietly confident still maybe a touch more so.

He can only play if you win, which would be the plan wouldn't it?

I read the Rioli thing the exact same way. Hope we hit em hard at the first bounce, would love to see us get the first couple!!

Can you guys with a slight complex about our arrogance please see your own learned poster below. It was simply a bridge too far for Cyril to play 4 quarters of high tempo footy. 1/2 a VFL granny is NOTHING compared to a full AFL prelim, hence the decision.

Playing Rioli against our running game would've been stupid. The Hawks have made the right call. They don't want to be hamstrung in rotations against a side that runs like we do. It has nothing to do with arrogance. The risks associated with playing Rioli given his fitness outweigh the positives.

You my friend have my vote as a level headed opposition supporter. Your point is exactly correct.

really surprised they dropped sewell, tough hard player, seasoned finals campaigner (real campaigner, not cnt) has killed us with clearances in the past, i assume they are worried about our run but i rate sewell highly and would think his style of play is needed in tough hard finals.

The way I saw it is that in the QF Sewell played as an ineffectual half forward practically the whole game before being subbed off in the 3rd quarter. Sadly he is all but done. Due to his lack of defensive pressure, I can see Suckling playing as a wing/half forward.

Although I would've much preferred to see Gus Litherland come in to take one of your dangerous small forwards! But here's hoping Suckling repays the massive amount of faith placed in him by the match committee!

Good question but from a Hawks point of view, you guys are the reason he is not playing. So I hope you all feel terrible about that :p.

You spread too well in offence and defense for Sewell to be effective against you anymore. He has also fallen behind Langford when it comes to effective clearances this year and Langers has wheels when he is up to speed. Hodge has also gone into the middle much more this year. Unfortunately you can only have so many 1 paced mids and when you have Sewell, Hodge and Lewis in one team we are too heavily biased towards inside beasts. What happens when a ball pops out of the congestion? Boak, Gray, Hartlett, Wingard, Wines and anyone else you had through the middle would leave all of them in their wake from a stand still.

His omission is purely on match ups as much as some of our deluded supporters think it is on match ups. The only way this will leave egg on our faces is if the game becomes a heavy inside game ala Sydney, Freo game-style. We don't play like that, you don't play like that so we can hardly plan for that sort of game. If it goes that way we should still match up well enough without him.

the great part about this weekend is that we are a genuine chance. and when we win, we will be headin to the G for the second week in a row so won't be so overawed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back