3. Andrew Gaff (2011 - )

Remove this Banner Ad

Been very critical of Gaffy over the last 12 months or so.

Happy to say he's turned his form right around over the last month or so.

His output has greatly increased and is now hurting sides with the pill.

He's skill and disposal has also greatly risen, around the same levels we saw in his first two seasons.

Good on ya mate

Gaff having a few good weeks and will be a very good player but seeing Dyson Heppell today (pick 8 when Gaff is pick 4) WOW. Both very skinny but Heppell has a certain class and vision. Managed to move into contested midfield with ease when most recruiters doubted and therefore he slid down the draft order.

Gaff having a few good weeks and will be a very good player but seeing Dyson Heppell today (pick 8 when Gaff is pick 4) WOW. Both very skinny but Heppell has a certain class and vision. Managed to move into contested midfield with ease when most recruiters doubted and therefore he slid down the draft order.

Not too fussed to be honest. Gaff will always be more outside than inside, which is fine by me. Gaff would look even better if we had a better inside mid next to him, as well as another outside threat besides Shuey (Yeo was quite nice, but then he went down injured). Heppell while had an impact, I felt didn't have the hurt factor that Gaff has. Gaff can break teams with his inside-50 passing, as well as his running game, as he has a high hurt factor with ball in hand. There's a reason why in his second year Gaff was tagged to oblivion, teams see how crucial Gaff is to this team and the past 3 weeks has shown he works even harder than before to break tags. I remember him doing pure gut running, getting the ball at half-back, kicking to a teammate and then streaming up the field. He may not be the inside presence that Heppell is, but I certainly can't discount how much Gaff has improved since he's been here.

Gaffy wants to be a 'one club player' according to this article

He says, "I’ve loved all five years at the club and I love it over here and I don’t really see anything changing."

“The club’s going the right way and I’m looking forward to many more years. So being a one-club player would mean a lot to me.’’

As we head into Season 2016, Andrew Gaff is coming off a career best season.

Forging through the year with an uncanny consistency, he took no less than 20 disposals in any single game, and broke the 30 mark on no less than 14 (more than half) of them. He was instrumental in the mid-season victory over Collingwood, a game that many fans felt was the first true test of whether the team would turn out to be a serious finals contender, and was one of the few Eagles to stand up to Hawthorn's crushing Grand Final pressure with 34 disposals.

Given the above, it was little surprise that he not only made it into the All Australian team, but also nudged out Matt Priddis to win the John Worsfold medal.

Congratulations Gaffy - may your next season be even better.

end of 2014 i predicted Gaff to step up but i wasnt expecting for him to average 30 disposals and win both AA honours and club champ. His next challenge is to curb the hard tag. unlike in 2013, gaffs put on size and matured alot and has shown he can handle tags and in that semi final he broke it. If he does get tho, it might enable shuey to cause havok and jetta and yeo to set us alight.

end of 2014 i predicted Gaff to step up but i wasnt expecting for him to average 30 disposals and win both AA honours and club champ. His next challenge is to curb the hard tag. unlike in 2013, gaffs put on size and matured alot and has shown he can handle tags and in that semi final he broke it. If he does get tho, it might enable shuey to cause havok and jetta and yeo to set us alight.

Developing a bit of an inside game seems to have gone a long way to helping him break tags. He is now able to lose taggers in traffic a bit more whereas in previous years he was just too outside and taggers would just run with him.

Developing a bit of an inside game seems to have gone a long way to helping him break tags. He is now able to lose taggers in traffic a bit more whereas in previous years he was just too outside and taggers would just run with him.
Yeah true but i think Gaff should predominantly stay as an outside player and rotate through the midfield. He may get flack for winning uncontested footy but its what he does with it on the outside that makes him a weapon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big 2018 coming up for Kermit, look out for him trialing these new boots.

nike-roshe-run--kermit-meme-customs-by-gourmet-kickz---3.jpg

Last edited:
I was watching some 2012 highlight vids the other day and Gaff was just gliding effortlessly across the turf...hasn't done that in a fair while :'(

In an effort to recapture the 'eye of the tiger' as it were, Kermit has decided to live in the wilds, hunting his own food bare handed and wiping his arse with sharp gravel, a real mans man.

IMG_7669.JPG

Round 2 - Gafftested Position

Move over JPK, Tom Mitchell and Dusty Martin, the new king of contested footy is in town.

27 Disposals, kicked a Jason Dunstall snagger and lead the team in contested possessions with 13!!

And with bench press form like this? It's not hard to see why Andrew is the inside, big bodied mid we've been crying out for.

Watch him make Selwood his bitch this week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back