Opinion 3 Big Calls In 2015 - Essendon Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

1. Gwilt to end up being the pick of our recruits and a lock in our best 22
2. Hurley and Carlisle have a punch up at training over who plays CHF. Ambrose ends up getting the gig, Hurley stays in the backline and Carlisle looks for a trade at the end of 2015
3. Daniher kicks 50

When playing solo he averaged 33 hitouts actually. And that's including a game where he only played for a half. Also clearance wise we were 6th in differential this year which is the more important stat. Stopping the opponent clearances is also very important. Fact is you're full of s**t and embarrassing yourself now.

What does it mean to be 6th in differential?

Also, the fact comment is actually an opinion.

Bellchambers gets more and better quality hit outs, which is the most important thing about being a ruckman.
I'm not convinced it is. We've all heard the analysis and seen the statistics about ruckmen being overrated, hitout differentials/efficiency/quality not correlating to performance, and so on, and then watched the likes of McEvoy, Bailey and Pyke stroll away with Premiership medallions, while AA ruckman end their seasons in August. An elite tap ruckman just doesn't seem to be a necessity for a competitive side in the modern game.

If you're going to profit from the position you need to couple some degree of tap ability with a broader contribution around the ground. Finding someone who can also play as a contested-marking, goal-kicking tall forward, a loose man behind the ball, or an extra runner in midfield essentially grants you an extra half a player over any team fielding a dinosaur. That's why Ryder and (when fit) Naitanui are so valuable, above and beyond their tap ability (good as it may be), and why Cox is inarguably the best ruckman of the past decade.

Last edited:
What does it mean to be 6th in differential?

Also, the fact comment is actually an opinion.
6th in clearance differential, ie. having more clearances than our direct opponent.
I'm not convinced it is. We've all heard the analysis and seen the statistics about ruckmen being overrated, hitout differentials/efficiency/quality not correlating to performance, and so on, and then watched the likes of McEvoy, Bailey and Pyke stroll away with Premiership medallions, while AA ruckman end their seasons in August. An elite tap ruckman just doesn't seem to be a necessity for a competitive side in the modern game.

If you're going to profit from the position you need to couple some degree of tap ability with a broader contribution around the ground. Finding someone who can also play as a contested-marking, goal-kicking tall forward, a loose man behind the ball, or an extra runner in midfield essentially grants you an extra half a player over any team fielding a dinosaur. That's why Ryder and (when fit) Naitanui are so valuable, above and beyond their tap ability (good as it may be), and why Cox is inarguably the best ruckman of the past decade.
Those people are wrong. Fremantle got into a GF off the back of a gun hitout to advantage ruckman last year, and Sydney won it with one in Mumford. And of those listed, only one of them is better around the ground than in the ruck. Bailey was solid in the ruck but mediocre around the ground, same with Pyke.

Regardless, Ryder is an excellent tap ruckman, Bellchambers is pretty good at it too and to say otherwise shows how little they watch football.

1. Carlisle and Daniher will be investigated by the CIA, after they kick 200 goals between them and are confused for weapons of mass destruction.
2. Caroline Wilson will buy an Essendon membership and sing a Simpsons-Planet of the apes style tune (oh my god, I was wrong, it was ASADA all along...)
3. I will not make a dick of myself at an Essendon game.

1. Dagleish to play 14 plus games in exchange for Dempsey.

2. Dempsey's last season (hope not- would love him at his best this year- very important.)

3. Bags All Australian

1. Alex Browne and Jackson Merrett best 21 by the end of the year.
2. Colyer drops off and is delisted (or close to).
3. Cooney doesn't finish top 10 in the B&F but has a good year.

1. Myers will be mentioned at least once for Brownlow contention

2. Browne will easily be back in best 22

3. Matthew Lloyd as new part time forward coach will make a massive impact. Goal kicking efficiency will rise by at least 10 %

1. Carlisle and Daniher will be investigated by the CIA, after they kick 200 goals between them and are confused for weapons of mass destruction.
2. Caroline Wilson will buy an Essendon membership and sing a Simpsons-Planet of the apes style tune (oh my god, I was wrong, it was ASADA all along...)
3. I will not make a dick of myself at an Essendon game.
cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg

at all 3

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back