Player Watch #3: Brett Deledio is an obscenely good footballer

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it's just the way he moves that make people not rate him. If he hunched around like Cotch people would think he was the best player in the league - but Lids can win a clearance, break-away from every other player around him with his pace, and then deliver a 50m+ pinpoint pass and it looks run of the mill for some reason.

yep, spot on mate, he makes it look easy so everybody expects more from him

he is that calm he doesn't need to break tackles like cotch does. he can dodge the bloke trying to tackle him or he;ll drill out an insanely clever handball with his vision.

i'm confident that when he has the ball and is about to kick it, it will go inside 50, through the goal posts on bang straight ontop of a team mate's head or into their chest

yup, once again they highlighted deledio

cotchin does the same thing every week and nobody gives a toss because you can't say anything bad about cotchin

Always shows how much more pressure there is on being a number 1 draft pick rather than a 2.

cotchin does the same thing every week and nobody gives a toss because you can't say anything bad about cotchin

Can't we just love them both? i know i do.

Anyway lids is an absolute talent, and haters gonna hate, he has polarized non-richmond supporters since day 1, they refuse to acknowledge his brilliance most weeks but love to point the finger when hes down. For me he is an almost complete midfielder, just a little more mongrel when trying to obtain the ball. His disposal excluding the last 2-3 weeks prior to last night is usually one of the best in the comp, when its in his hands i just wait for brilliance.

Speed, disposal, strength, overhead ability and flashy style makes him my favorite player.

All that said Cotchin does the dirt work, and his hunger for the play makes him much loved by everyone and lids is 3 years older to so he will naturally cop more scrutiny. Cotch, Lids, Dusty shared brownlow 2014 + tigers flag?

Always been the knock pal .. coverage tonight highlighted him at half time not working hard enough at a stoppage that resulted in a Brisbane goal ;)

Anyway ... this is a back slap thread ... no negativity .

His good is as good as anyones :thumbsu:

Lol, you weak prick (but I concur).

So I see Trent Cotchin has a thread that has pages and pages of love (worthy) while this man doesn't even have a thread. WTF?

Have defended him against those who called him a flanker not a midfielder in the past and this year he has gone up even another level from where he was (2 AA squad's off a HBF). Was only playing off a HBF out of necessity more than anything else due to our lack of skill coming out of the backline and the fact he can due to his amazing versatility. Averaging 28 touches and nearly a goal a game this year in the midfield. Regularly is racking up 30+ touches and taking the game on. Was BOG tonight vs Brisbane and has been our best or in our best 3 most games.

I think when the team finally has some success people are going to sit up and realise how good this bloke is. I'm talking about league wide recognition that he is a star. Similar thing that happened to Goddard a few years ago before his form went downhill recently. By the way if he gets robbed of AA again (Harry O and Murphy :rolleyes:) I'll spew.
Absolutely, he's probably one of the best upright inside mid in the league right now. Different to Cotch in that Lid's hands probably are not as clean under pressure but has the run and carry/disposal ability. Kind of the footballing odd couple but compliment each other quite well...In the games we win well, they may be robbing votes off each other much like Judd/Cuz in the WC era.

But if you have a look at the replay, Deledio did not even try to chase the Brisbane player, who nailed a goal from about 50. You can see him in the foreground, just casually trotting along. He is a gun, but it was a poor look from Deledio.

Not sure why but at times when we need his run and carry he tends to go into his shell , when in that frame of
mind , even when he recieves the footy in space he tends hold the ball up .
When on and taking the game on is up with the elite in his ability to damage the opposition .
Actually find him to be the most frustrating to watch when he goes into shell , still get the stats just doesn't hurt the opposition .

Absolutely, he's probably one of the best upright inside mid in the league right now. Different to Cotch in that Lid's hands probably are not as clean under pressure but has the run and carry/disposal ability. Kind of the footballing odd couple but compliment each other quite well...In the games we win well, they may be robbing votes off each other much like Judd/Cuz in the WC era.
I think the robbing votes is a bit of a myth. You mention Judd and cousins taking votes from each other, but each won a brownlow whilst with the eagles. I think kerr even came second to cousins.

But if you have a look at the replay, Deledio did not even try to chase the Brisbane player, who nailed a goal from about 50. You can see him in the foreground, just casually trotting along. He is a gun, but it was a poor look from Deledio.

I'll repeat what I said. Cotchin has done the same thing many times and nobody bothered to point it out except me

It's just everybody looking for an excuse to have a crack at deledio because he's an easy target

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love Lids, he is such an important player. I'd still love to see him take that step up from being a top 30-40 player in the comp to being a top 10-15 player, but still I'll never doubt how good he is.

People can be quick to jump on him when he has a down game and we lose (ie Fremantle & Carlton) and accuse him of going missing when it gets tough, but just look at his two best games this season against the Pies and the Bombers. He was massive in those games (among others) which we lost, clearly BOG in my opinion and looked anything but a downhill skier.

As much as we all love Cotchin - and he is an absolute superstar - spare a bit of love for Lids. He is an absolute gun and a loyal Tiger

Love Lids, he is such an important player. I'd still love to see him take that step up from being a top 30-40 player in the comp to being a top 10-15 player, but still I'll never doubt how good he is.

He already has this season. He was top 40 last season and many before that.

He already has this season. He was top 40 last season and many before that.

He has definitely improved, still don't think he is top 10-15 though. That is an elite group and realistically that is where we need our best players such as him to be

He has definitely improved, still don't think he is top 10-15 though. That is an elite group and realistically that is where we need our best players such as him to be

let's be realistic here, he would've been all australian for years in a row if it weren't for the fact that we were playing so s**t house

Well obviously I strong disagree.

You don't put up the numbers he has this year and not be a top 15 player. He has been elite in 2012.

let's be realistic here, he would've been all australian for years in a row if it weren't for the fact that we were playing so s**t house

Yep. AA is heavily weighted towards successful teams. As I pointed out he's already been robbed of AA at least twice by far inferior players. This year realistically should be his 3rd or 4th AA. What's the bet he misses again?

The AA selectors lost all credibility when they selected Harry O'Brian ahead of Deledio in 2010 and to a lesser extent Rob Murphy last year. Absolutely laughable choices.

Well obviously I strong disagree.

You don't put up the numbers he has this year and not be a top 15 player. He has been elite in 2012.

C'mon don't be blind to the rest of the competition, surely you can name 15 players that currently rank above Lids. I agree his form this year brings him closer to that group but he still has room to improve. A gun player should be posting those numbers.

Just to clarify, I think he is a star, and an underrated one at that, but he is not in the best 15 players in the comp currently.

I'll repeat what I said. Cotchin has done the same thing many times and nobody bothered to point it out except me

It's just everybody looking for an excuse to have a crack at deledio because he's an easy target

Mate Deledio's a bonafide gun, but dragging Cotchin into that particular argument is just petty & ignorant.

Inside player, 3 years younger, receives far more attention from the opposition then just about anyone in the comp. and more than Deledio ever has. He doesn't just get heavily tagged, he get's ******* swarmed and without the protection Judd gets from umpires or GAJ got from teammates at Geelong. He goes as hard as anyone into a contest. He worked his arse off on Saturday night off the ball. It's little wonder he get's buggered every now and then. Don't forget he ain't quick like Deledio is either.

On form, no.

I was referring more to all players' current standing in the game, their overall output over a longer period rather than 2012 form in isolation. Either way Lids wouldn't crack my top 15. Agree to disagree, either way we can agree that Lids is a star

Remove this Banner Ad

Back