Retired #3: Paul Chapman

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't forget he took up another list spot this year and another potential youngster could have been recruited.

We could have also got more games into others.

He's played <30 games for us. Its been a disaster whichever way you look at it unless you are the type of person that gets excited over 1 or 2 wins and forgets about being miles away from it.

We're a disaster generally. Not sure how that converts to Chappy being a disaster himself. He was brought in to provide some experience, and possibly also cover in the event of suspensions.

It is what it is. He played some decent footy for us.

Don't forget he took up another list spot this year and another potential youngster could have been recruited.

We could have also got more games into others.

He's played <30 games for us. Its been a disaster whichever way you look at it unless you are the type of person that gets excited over 1 or 2 wins and forgets about being miles away from it.

Still no mention of who this bloke is we are putting games into !!
Kelvin "i am an expert after the fact " Sheedy.
Guess we should sack everyone for not getting every spot 100% correct :rolleyes:

The disaster was WADA appealing. Nothing to do with Chapman. He gave us a good season last year and we played finals.
This year has been more to do with outside circumstances and Chapman being here will not have stuff all effect going forward when you are talking about players picked 70 plus in the draft.

Guess we should sack everyone for not getting every spot 100% correct :rolleyes:

The disaster was WADA appealing. Nothing to do with Chapman. He gave us a good season last year and we played finals.
This year has been more to do with outside circumstances and Chapman being here will not have stuff all effect going forward when you are talking about players picked 70 plus in the draft.

So we may as well pick up every potential retiree every year instead of going to the draft after pick 70.

Who can we go for this year? James Kelly, maybe get Rivers out of retirement as we are a bit thin down back.

As Doss has said he's played some pretty good football for us and he's a champion but imo as a selection its backfired.

It's difficult to argue that Chappy is not a champion of the game, so respect where respect is due. I won't ever forget the image of him laughing after we were smashed by Geelong this year though. He was always at EFC for a good time and some quick coin. Nothing more.

Amazing how such a simple question asked 3 times can lead to another rant meaning little...Guess we'll never know who this player is that Chappy deprived of a spot on the list..

I find it insulting that Kelvin suggests our supporters (of which I'm one) were embarrassing for cheering and getting behind Chappy on his arrival..

Haters gonna hate...Thanks for coming over Chappy, it was delightful , seeing you choose us over North and the Tuggers was brilliant...

Amazing how such a simple question asked 3 times can lead to another rant meaning little...Guess we'll never know who this player is that Chappy deprived of a spot on the list..

I find it insulting that Kelvin suggests our supporters (of which I'm one) were embarrassing for cheering and getting behind Chappy on his arrival..

Haters gonna hate...Thanks for coming over Chappy, it was delightful , seeing you choose us over North and the Tuggers was brilliant...

Err, what :confused:

Ant already answered the question himself and the rest has been explained. I feel like we are having a conversation in the mental asylum.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't like the "he came to us for money".

He wasn't ready to retire when he was at geelong- he still felt he had more to offer and he was proven in 2014 to be correct on that one. Going on this year was a mistake but most retirees his age go on 1 year too long thinking they can still cope.
He's now ready to retire knowing he doesn't have much else left. It's not about money.

I don't like the "he came to us for money".

He wasn't ready to retire when he was at geelong- he still felt he had more to offer and he was proven in 2014 to be correct on that one. Going on this year was a mistake but most retirees his age go on 1 year too long thinking they can still cope.
He's now ready to retire knowing he doesn't have much else left. It's not about money.

It was only a mistake because he's body didn't hold up in hindsight.

His form last year definetly warranted another year, esp as we all thought we'd be contenders again.

The youngsters like Zach Merrett have been glowing in their praise for Chappy in that he has helped fast track their development. He was good in 2014, cooked in 2015 but provided some onfield leadership and coaching for some of our younger players. Going all out youth like Neeld did at Melbourne doesn't work.

The youngsters like Zach Merrett have been glowing in their praise for Chappy in that he has helped fast track their development. He was good in 2014, cooked in 2015 but provided some onfield leadership and coaching for some of our younger players. Going all out youth like Neeld did at Melbourne doesn't work.
Sums it up perfectly for mine.

A little off-topic (slanging at each other about his worth at your club) but a mate of mine was on Geelong's list 10 years ago for a few years and he said Chappy was a thorough Gentleman.....Scarlett on the other hand was an arrogant pig.

A little off-topic (slanging at each other about his worth at your club) but a mate of mine was on Geelong's list 10 years ago for a few years and he said Chappy was a thorough Gentleman.....Scarlett on the other hand was an arrogant pig.

I went to school with Scarlett and disagree with that. I don't think he changed that much - was always quiet, good sense of humour but aggressive when he needed to be. He chats to me these days when I see him like he did when we were at school so he didn't become an arrogant off field footballer. Scarlett would have a go at teammates if he thought they were squibbing it - probably had a go at your mate and he didn't like it I'd say.

I went to school with Scarlett and disagree with that. I don't think he changed that much - was always quiet, good sense of humour but aggressive when he needed to be. He chats to me these days when I see him like he did when we were at school so he didn't become an arrogant off field footballer. Scarlett would have a go at teammates if he thought they were squibbing it - probably had a go at your mate and he didn't like it I'd say.
He did say that he was very friendly to his small close group of friends, but very cold and arrogant to anyone else....I guess he was one of those guys you had to get into his inner circle....he certainly said he made rookies feel very unwelcome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back