Past #3: Ryan Bastinac - traded to Brisbane for picks 17, 26, 28 & 47 (NMFC loses 34, 38, 40 & 2016 R3)

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed.

Could see him in the mix of trade talk and I never thought I would be saying that, tbh.
I just cannot see how he has improved at all since his first season. I cannot see which position he is going to make his own. I cannot see any elite attributes. Happy to keep him in the hope that he has a "Levi season" but if we get a good offer, I'd take it.

I just cannot see how he has improved at all since his first season. I cannot see which position he is going to make his own. I cannot see any elite attributes. Happy to keep him in the hope that he has a "Levi season" but if we get a good offer, I'd take it.
It would have to be the right trade but I'd definitely think very hard about it certainly. He has stagnated without a doubt and depending on our injury run next season (and what we are offered if he goes on the table), he could do with some tough love ala Levi and Sammy.

I'd be wrapt if he responded like those guys but at the moment he has a big question mark over his head.

This will be the making of him - he will be top 5 in our b n f next year. You have to test these guys make them hurt a bit earn their spots. Just look at greenwood - i honestly think thats why they did it.
I don't think that's why they did it, but I've no doubt one possible effect is that it stings - as it should. I've also wondered if his motivation levels contributed, in part, to doing poorly in the role, thinking he's above it.

Be interesting to see how he goes next year.

People on this board are happy to stick with Harper after 2+ years of sweet f all yet wanna trade Basti after a few poor showings as sub? Even if he's dropped out of best 22 (which I disagree with he's ahead of Jacobs) we still need depth. Get a grip guys seriously...
I can't speak for others, but my reasons for thinking about a trade are solely based on his output over the season and not after having 3 ordinary games as sub. They are also influenced by my solemn belief that his best position is in an area in which we have very good depth and I'll say it again. I would seriously consider thinking about a trade if we were strengthened in an area of weakness. The key words being thinking, consider & strengthened. If all those boxes are not ticked, then obviously he stays.

We do still need to revamp the list and will make changes as deemed necessary like a good club should and if we don't we will be back with the pack again.

I can't speak for others, but my reasons for thinking about a trade are solely based on his output over the season and not after having 3 ordinary games as sub. They are also influenced by my solemn belief that his best position is in an area in which we have very good depth and I'll say it again. I would seriously consider thinking about a trade if we were strengthened in an area of weakness. The key words being thinking, consider & strengthened. If all those boxes are not ticked, then obviously he stays.

We do still need to revamp the list and will make changes as deemed necessary like a good club should and if we don't we will be back with the pack again.
In the chase for excellence and being as ruthless as we need to be to achieve the ultimate success, I'm not averse to this suggestion. IF we were to do trades that brought in quality players that addressed a clear area of weakness, you have to give something up of equivalent or comparable value (trading with 90's Fremantle excluded).

But I'm also assuming that the impact on culture would need to be assessed too. The much vaunted loyalty-breeding culture can easily be dismantled with perceptions that the loyalty only runs one way. Additionally, Basti is in the 'core midfield group' that we've bringing along together, so that may also be key, from a cultural perspective.

Last edited:
In the chase for excellence and being as ruthless as we need to be to achieve the ultimate success, I'm not averse to this suggestion. IF we were to do trades that brought in quality players that addressed a clear area of weakness, you have to give something up of equivalent or comparable value (trading with 90's Fremantle excluded).

But I'm also assuming that the impact on culture would need to be assessed to. The much vaunted loyalty-breeding culture can easily be dismantled with perceptions that the loyalty only runs one way. Additionally, Basti is in the 'core midfield group' that we've bringing along together, so that may also be key, from a cultural perspective.
All of that has me nodding the head. The club over the last few years have for all intents and purposes have been very thorough and professional in regards to our list management. I expect we will continue in this vein and make the right call if there is even one to be made at all.

Agreed.

Could see him in the mix of trade talk and I never thought I would be saying that, tbh.

I want Basti to stay and become one of our best onballers. For some reason he's playing a position nobody likes to play and he's not doing it very well.

He's either out of favour or carrying some sort of injury that restricts him from playing a whole game.

We'll find out soon enough.

I want Basti to stay and become one of our best onballers. For some reason he's playing a position nobody likes to play and he's not doing it very well.

He's either out of favour or carrying some sort of injury that restricts him from playing a whole game.

We'll find out soon enough.
I think he's stuck in a bit of no man's land with the coaching department. To me he's always looked like an old fashioned rover; Reads the ball off a pack or Ruck contest beautifully, has good creative vision in a tight space with handball his main weapon and can essentially go all day without a rest. The problem being that in todays game inside mids are huge beasts and outside link men are damaging by foot.

Essentially he's in the twilight zone in that he's been pushed out of the inside gig by Ben, Levi, The Capn and The Vice but Gibson is the primary outside link with the biggest tank in the whole comp so he's behind there as well. It's in that outside role where he can utilise his great ground coverage where he's most likely to make IN THIS team.

He needs to clean up his defensive pressure and really get back to school on his kicking and turn that into a genuine weapon. If he does that he'll push Gibbo out, but only then imo.

People on this board are happy to stick with Harper after 2+ years of sweet f all yet wanna trade Basti after a few poor showings as sub? Even if he's dropped out of best 22 (which I disagree with he's ahead of Jacobs) we still need depth. Get a grip guys seriously...
Im quite happy for both to be traded. So where in your opinion does Basti fit into our team now?

On his day he can be a very good player, but doesnt seem to know what his role or position is atm. He wont be playing inside mid anytime soon, so im interested in where people want him to play. Froggy is in the wings too, just pushing Basti further out. Not to sure Basti would be to happy rotting as a depth player when he knows he could play every game in numerous mid fields.

Im quite happy for both to be traded. So where in your opinion does Basti fit into our team now?

On his day he can be a very good player, but doesnt seem to know what his role or position is atm. He wont be playing inside mid anytime soon, so im interested in where people want him to play. Froggy is in the wings too, just pushing Basti further out. Not to sure Basti would be to happy rotting as a depth player when he knows he could play every game in numerous mid fields.
I already said he starts ahead of Jacobs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we trade Bastinac now we will regret it.

His body is still not ready for the role that best suits him. Which is that true rover, inside/outside type who gets to contest after contest. Some players simply do not mature physically at the same rate as others. Yeah he might be 26-27 till he really hits his straps, but to cast him aside now because we are too impatient (and it's not like he is a useless player at AFL level) would be just plain stupid.

Look at Sam Wright.

Basti needs a big preseason, which I'm sure he will, he is still a young player, and once he matures into a stronger footballer he will prove all doubters wrong.

He is not going to be traded.

Harper has the potential to be a game breaker.

Basti can accumulate the footy but doesn't do much else. defensively he has gone backwards. Physically, he is about as imposing as a 12 year choir boy.

His body is still not ready for the role that best suits him. Which is that true rover, inside/outside type who gets to contest after contest. Some players simply do not mature physically at the same rate as others. Yeah he might be 26-27 till he really hits his straps, but to cast him aside now because we are too impatient (and it's not like he is a useless player at AFL level) would be just plain stupid.

Look at Sam Wright.

Both Wright and Basti need to start doing the hard yards in the gym. Wright has an excuse with his shoulder injuries. Basti has put on bugger all muscle mass over the past 3 years.

Immaturity, or someone just not hurting enough? Maybe I'm too high-strung, but that troubles me, I'm afraid.
You're too high strung. You can hurt about losses (I still can't get over certain losses in my own career from 20 years ago) but that doesn't mean that after a long hard season you can't enjoy yourself with your mates.

Look at Sam Wright.

Agree. Have said before that Basti could be a Jared McVeigh type of player IF he pulled the finger.

Right now I'm starting to wonder about that 'IF'.

The bloke just shows so little intensity. Not expecting Glenn Archer but maybe not turning his back to play. More than once. Or performing his trademark turnstile defence. But the fact he's never dropped means I can only guess the coaches are ok with his limp slightly disinterested approach.

Basti got compared to Sam Wright because of body development. Sam Wright always has a dip. Can Basti say the same?

Fwiw I rate Basti for talent, he's meant to be a really good guy and I'm wrapt he 're-signed with us. But 2014 was a bit of a nothing year for him.

You're too high strung. You can hurt about losses (I still can't get over certain losses in my own career from 20 years ago) but that doesn't mean that after a long hard season you can't enjoy yourself with your mates.

True, but these are professional athletes competing in the highest profile elite sport in the country. When you've just performed poorly in the most important game of your career, and the most important for the club in the better part of a decade, I just feel that giving your supporters and sponsors the impression you give half a s**t is not a bad idea.

But as you say, I probably am strung a tad high!

What do we want him to do???
Sheeeesh he didn't have his best year, but getting pizza and having a few beers once it's all over for the year is sweet with me.

What do we want him to do???
Sheeeesh he didn't have his best year, but getting pizza and having a few beers once it's all over for the year is sweet with me.

People keep making this point, and it's a fair one per se. I think what gets to some of us is that it was only a few hours after a loss that should have burned in his guts. Especially given he was sub three games in a row. He doesn't seem to have reacted the way we might expect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back