Autopsy 3 things you learnt against North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't want to intrude but just wondering what has happened to tom Mitchell recenlty for his form drop?

Is it something that this board continues for the foreseeable future or is it just a case of being played out of position/injury

The reason is he is an ordinary footballer who possesses no speed and has foot disposal that resembles a 9 iron chip. His kicking penetration makes Tony Shaw look like Bernie Quinlan.

Yeah nah...

He is an inside mid played out of position as a small forward. Probably an injury concern or a average pre-season that didn't do enough to build his midfield tank. Still one of the best handball extractors in the team, but Horse isn't doing him any favours.

Yeah nah...

He is an inside mid played out of position as a small forward. Probably an injury concern or a average pre-season that didn't do enough to build his midfield tank. Still one of the best handball extractors in the team, but Horse isn't doing him any favours.

Mitchell himself said in an interview on the website that he's been playing in the forward line because his production when in the middle wasn't particularly strong. I can't remember which interview that was, but he definitely said something to that effect.

Mitchell himself said in an interview on the website that he's been playing in the forward line because his production when in the middle wasn't particularly strong. I can't remember which interview that was, but he definitely said something to that effect.

Well, when you're competing against JPK...

Fine whatevs :p

I'm pretty sure Longmire is not going to be fired after a record that goes: SF, Flag, PF, 1-3.

Ha. Yes and we have just signed an extension for Horse. The last time we started the season 1-3 we played in the losing grannie against West Coast in 2006, so there may be some red faces on this forum if we stage a remarkable turnaround this year too.

I'm talking about individual performances. For instance the people who think dropping LRT for Membrey or Derickx for Naismith will fix all our issues. There's definitely major issues with our team, but changing 4 or 5 players every week isn't the answer. You look at our preview threads after every loss and it's "out: Bolton, ROK, Mattner, Grundy, Jetta. In: Vezspremi, Meredith, Johnston, Walsh, Barlow."

I have no issue dropping senior players who have underperformed in multiple games and show no signs of improving but anyone who thinks swapping in 4 or 5 first gamers is going to fix our issues is sadly mistaken. In fact the only thing it would do is mask the fundamental issues (our game plan for one) with a bunch of new scapegoats.

I agree with you on your first point. The "drop LRT/Lance Franklin/ROK for Towers/Membrey/Lloyd Perris" argument is common on a forum like this, and misunderstands the way modern football is played. It is also searching for simple answers to complex problems.

The crucial question is whether it is more likely that a player who has consistently performed at the highest level could reproduce that level of output, or whether it is more likely that a rookie will be able to exponentially improve such that he will perform at what would be a new personal best at senior level on a week to week basis.

I disagree that we have fundamental issues in respect of our game plan. The game plan is not dissimilar to that which won us a flag only 18 months ago. The fundamental issue is consistent implementation of the game plan. That a team can dominate Adelaide away one week then struggle against North at home is symptomatic of a difference in output from week to week.

How much has the game plan employed by the Hawks/Cats/Pies changed in the last 5 years? If they are not changing theirs, why should we be fundamentally changing a game plan that won us a flag in 2012?

1. If it is a 'down' season then it is a perfect time to get players in for our older brigade: Lloyd for Rok, Biggs for Shaw, etc etc.

2. It is possible that we are trying to keep a certain structure with crucial personnel out eg a sling shot with a target forward eg a Reid/Tippett

3. For the love of god, take a small amount of time to atleast get it to a players advantage. Even a kick to space.

1. Most of our problems are in the forward line due to injury and form

2. The makeshift forward line is done no favours by the blind bombing in by the mids and half backs

3. If we don't win against Freo then we are in really deep poo

3a. If we don't win against Freo then it is definitely time to do something different at selection and get game time into the future possibles like Biggs and maybe even green vest Hewett?

Michell is an inside mid played out of position as a small forward. Probably an injury concern or a average pre-season that didn't do enough to build his midfield tank. Still one of the best handball extractors in the team, but Horse isn't doing him any favours.

This is one of the many problems in our forward line, Mitchell is not a small forward and we don't have any of those showing form in the ressies either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back