Autopsy 3 things you learnt v Hawks @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
1. McGlynn wants a premiership
2. Rohan has found his spot in the team
3. Our midfield can be beaten on the spread by good teams

Spot on. Plenty still think we are superior to Hawthorn and will beat them when it counts but unless our much vaunted Midfield stand up against them consistently for 100 minutes of the game instead of 10 minute cameos during quarters we will not beat them. McVeigh one of the worst offenders and his fellow captain Jack's decision making tonight was nothing short of deplorable. Sorry but they get the accolades so they need to take the kick in the rrrrrs. Longmire also needs to find the right player for Mitchell. Sit on the smug little ***** for 100 minutes. Some of the space given to him at stoppages tonight was appalling.

I hate to say it but I learned nothing good tonight.

1. Reid looked lost as a spare man in defense.
2. Reid, goodes, Tippett Franklin and Parker mcveigh as a front six are an invitation to walk the ball out defensively.
3. Rampe, ländler, Richards Grundy smith can all completely stuff up kicks coming out of the back fifty. Pressure on the ball can really cost us

Spot on. Plenty still think we are superior to Hawthorn and will beat them when it counts but unless our much vaunted Midfield stand up against them consistently for 100 minutes of the game instead of 10 minute cameos during quarters we will not beat them. McVeigh one of the worst offenders and his fellow captain Jack's decision making tonight was nothing short of deplorable. Sorry but they get the accolades so they need to take the kick in the rrrrrs. Longmire also needs to find the right player for Mitchell. Sit on the smug little ***** for 100 minutes. Some of the space given to him at stoppages tonight was appalling.

I like this post so much that I want to like it publicly.

I expected us to lose tonight and, like other posters have said, I actually think it could be a good thing. In 2012 we went WLW against Hawks. Hopefully we'll do the same this year. Things I learnt ...

1. Nick Smith can be beaten. Had a rotten day at the office. Can't remember him being beaten comprehensively. Again and again.
2. All the midfielders were poor. KJ, JPK, Parks ... only McGlynn can hold his head up.
3. Even if the big fella didn't quite turn the game tonight, the "BUDDY BARGAIN" definitely won banner of the week,

It's hard to keep winning. That's why even the great teams always lose a few along the way. Hopefully the boys can use the loss to iron out the deficiencies and come out next week breathing fire. Onward and upward.

1 : Our ball use and spread might be the death of us this year ( mainly ball use ).

2 : Not getting carried at all after 2 games but been saying for a while Rohan should be played in defence , looked far better tonight than he has ever playing forward.

3 : Goodes has no defensive pressure anymore.

3a : Our Mids have been smacked by Port/Hawks now which is a worry , mainly there outside spread.
3b : We struggle to defend Hawthorns kicking game at times , they moved the ball from defence to attack far to easy

1 : Our ball use and spread might be the death of us this year ( mainly ball use ).

2 : Not getting carried at all after 2 games but been saying for a while Rohan should be played in defence , looked far better tonight than he has ever playing forward.

3 : Goodes has no defensive pressure anymore.

3a : Our Mids have been smacked by Port/Hawks now which is a worry , mainly there outside spread.
3b : We struggle to defend Hawthorns kicking game at times , they moved the ball from defence to attack far to easy

for about 20 minutes we stopped that bloody kicking game it looked good.

i disagree with 3a v port

How was that lobbed handball out of defensive 50!? Stupidest decision I've ever seen from him. Jeepers!

or buddy handballed to him and he was running off

goodes can bend to pick the ball up properly

he would stuffed if he dropped the soap in jail

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. McGlynn keeps having a crack.
2. We have a dilemma with two big immobile forwards when the ball hits the ground when the opposition just run off them. Tippett & Goodesy.
3a. Laidler & Rohan will make up our regular defense in the coming years.
3b. Proof tonight why we should give Mal no more than 2 years. If someone has offered Mal 3 years, he should grab it & run.

1. We were flat and had lost touch from the week off. This better not happen in the finals.
2. Hawthorn's run and spread is something to admire
3. Hawthorn learnt a lot about our structures and plays tonight.
4. Our midfield failed very badly. It is a rare thing to see everyone fail so comprehensively. The fact that it is so rare gives me confidence. I think if only 1 of our key mids had played a good game we would have won.
5. Wayward kicking was the second main reason we lost.
6. Rohan played his best game since his return.
7. McGlynn stood up again, proved once again how important he has become to us. Great growth year for him.
8. Rampe still improving, great night for him tonight. Also a great growth year for him.
9. Buddy was nervous in the first qtr. Never seen him like that before. I could tell by the look on his face before the first ball was bounced.
10. Tippett underdone, but did ok considering.
11. Hannebery was sorely missed.
12. Reid was a little lost tonight.
13. Smith had one of his worst.
14. Towers showed some confidence to break though some hawthorn players into our 50 tonight to set up a goal. Hopefully a sign for the future.
15. Tonight we saw just how badly a tall strong forward line can actually hurt us on the flipside. It was only a matter of time.
16. Grundy shouldnt have been subbed, should have been Reid.

Im not worried in the slightest. We are better than that, I think we all know it.

The loss will strengthen our resolve, re-focus the team, and give us a that little 'shake up' that is often so valuable before finals. It may be little early though, but they'll just have to make it work. We could even weather another loss due to our ability to perform in finals, but I think we would be better without it.

Hannebery - Shaw - Mitchell (if there is room) - September here we come.

Last edited:
1.Hodge is one of the dirtiest players in the AFL
2.Gary Rohan is turning into a a very good halfback flanker
3.Dean Towers can compete at AFL level and has some special abilities

Some feedback from Hawthorn supporter view:

1. Pyke is vulnerable in the ruck especially as game wears on from mid 3rd qtr into last
2. Your best midfielders are generally slow so if game opens up you concede quick goals
3. Your kicking skills are average when put under pressure, miss too many passes around the ground

Hannebery is class, but Rioli, Lake and Sewell will make Hawks stronger in September.

May the best team win as you will no doubt be in the prelims again and from there it is game on.

Some feedback from Hawthorn supporter view:

1. Pyke is vulnerable in the ruck especially as game wears on from mid 3rd qtr into last
2. Your best midfielders are generally slow so if game opens up you concede quick goals
3. Your kicking skills are average when put under pressure, miss too many passes around the ground

Hannebery is class, but Rioli, Lake and Sewell will make Hawks stronger in September.

May the best team win as you will no doubt be in the prelims again and from there iy is game on.

Everyone was flat tonight, and that is a very rare occurrence. If just 1 midfielder stood up we would have had another 5-10 clearances and probably got across the line. Wait til 4-5 are firing.

With Shaw and Hannas back, a little straighter kicking, and our usual-average performance, we'll be firing way above tonight's effort. No one is worried at all on this board, we know tonight was an anomaly.

See you in September. ;)

As an impartial viewer I think the Swans were unlucky to lose.

1) there were two free kicks in the last quarter for Hawthorn players holding the ball (in Sydney's forward line) and the umpires didn't pay either. They definitely took the tacklers on and ran with the ball, but no free kick.

We have learnt that paying free kicks to defenders is easy, paying for tackling in the forward line not so easy.

2) Hawthorn still get away with that kick from just outside the forward 50 metre arc and into it that travels at best 5 metres. They have been doing this kick for at least three years, but no umpire sees it? Why not?

Someone has to tell the umpires that the ball has to travel 15 metres. The one Isaac Smith marked in the third quarter..what a laugh. That was kicked to him over a distance of about 2 metres.
Is this AFL9s? or is it AFL football?

1: overall not doomsday certainly stuff to work on but this the hawks at home with probably the most hostile crowd i've seen in years and usual wacky vic umpire calls we lost by 10 and if not for some brain fades there's a strong argument that we would have won.

2: victorian weather is s**t.

3: best game of wet weather footy we have played in years........ so in a way its an improvement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back