Autopsy 3 things you learnt v Hawks @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

As an impartial viewer I think the Swans were unlucky to lose.

1) there were two free kicks in the last quarter for Hawthorn players holding the ball (in Sydney's forward line) and the umpires didn't pay either. They definitely took the tacklers on and ran with the ball, but no free kick.

We have learnt that paying free kicks to defenders is easy, paying for tackling in the forward line not so easy.

2) Hawthorn still get away with that kick from just outside the forward 50 metre arc and into it that travels at best 5 metres. They have been doing this kick for at least three years, but no umpire sees it? Why not?

Someone has to tell the umpires that the ball has to travel 15 metres. The one Isaac Smith marked in the third quarter..what a laugh. That was kicked to him over a distance of about 2 metres.
Is this AFL9s? or is it AFL football?

1000% spot on. Usually Roughead is the recipient. You are also spot on that it has been happening for the last three years. Why don't the umpires see it ? Why don't they see a lot of things ? Like the 2 freekicks you have mentioned and McGlynn nearly getting his ****** head kicked off on the Southern stand wing which resulted in a goal. We never played particularly well neither did they but all things being equal Franklin and Tippett convert their opportunities and we win by 4 goals. All the same, filthy because I know we are a bit better than last night.

QUOTE="melbournehammer, post: 34228526, member: 142880"]I hate to say it but I learned nothing good tonight.

1. Reid looked lost as a spare man in defense.
2. Reid, goodes, Tippett Franklin and Parker mcveigh as a front six are an invitation to walk the ball out defensively.
3. Rampe, ländler, Richards Grundy smith can all completely stuff up kicks coming out of the back fifty. Pressure on the ball can really cost us
besides franklin I agree with you that the front 6 is far to slow , so noticeable live last night but what options do we have ?[/QUOTE]

Punts neither Reid or McVeigh are slow so the options would be for both of them to find a bit of ******* intensity and effort when the opposition are in transition out of our forward half. Granted Goodes and Tippett are a bit of a problem in that area but if blokes are getting to where they are supposed to be in support that would help. Goodes just did not get the support last night when the ball hit the deck and if it is clear to us that he is struggling to bend and work below his knees then surely it is evident to his team mates who need to pull their fingers out and give him a ****** chop out because God knows he has carried them on his back plenty of times.

Both Jack and Macca are well down on last year , cant see either of them polling well in the B&F

Jack has had a fair season. Macca has been ordinary all year. His form has been covered up by the team not really needing his output. Looks slow and his kicking has been woeful.
They should give him a break for a couple of weeks and put Lloyd into his role.

Are you 12 years old? Bit of resilience, persistence and perspective might help. Home and away is simply a seed system for finals. We will finish top 4, probably top 2. I dont see how last nights loss diminishes our flag chances. In fact we played poorly and they played their best. That gives me reason to be very optimistic.

I agree about the home and away season and we did play poorly. You are wrong though about them.They played nowhere near their best.

Jack has had a fair season. Macca has been ordinary all year. His form has been covered up by the team not really needing his output. Looks slow and his kicking has been woeful.

First half of the year would agree. His last 4-6 weeks aside from a possession output have been very ordinary. Decision making causing turnovers and some deadest butchering of the ball by foot have been horrible. He is a great leader based on his effort and is a genuinely good inside mid but he has no polish at all. Hanneberry's absence is being felt even more as he is a Very good inside mid with class.

3 things I learnt.

1. We need hanners back to win flag.
2. Rohan looked good on half back.
3. Our disposal especially coming out of defence was terrible.

When was the last time Reid had a good game against a top 4 side?
He is playing a role that is foreign to him...it takes time, whether we have the time or not is debatable. I think he has been pretty good in recent weeks and just, like a lot of his mates, didn't present post bye.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Swans players play the ball... Case #1 Hodge puts knee straight into spine of swans player camped under the ball and crunches him. Case #2 Rohan has Puopolo camped under the ball, makes body contact however turns to side so knees don't go straight into spine of Puopolo. Both legitimate within rules of the game

2. Hawks have brilliant foot skills and are a benchmark for all teams to try and match. Swans tidy this area up a little and will come good in future games.

3. Swans could do with another Ben Mcglynn in the team. Have always rated him as one of swans most important players with speed, pressure, tackling.

I know only 3 points however I also like some of the deft work Sam Reid has done in centre squares the past few games in 3rd quarters either bursting out to kick long goals or hitting forwards lace out.

Rohan - a brilliant game and tackling saved a couple of hawks goals.

McVeigh has been very good for most of the season imo.
http://www.fanfooty.com.au/players/profile.php?firstname=Jarrad&surname=McVeigh
Jack has been a little down on form, but has also had injuries for part of the year.
http://www.fanfooty.com.au/players/profile.php?firstname=Kieren&surname=Jack

McVeigh has been very good for most of the season imo.
http://www.fanfooty.com.au/players/profile.php?firstname=Jarrad&surname=McVeigh
Jack has been a little down on form, but has also had injuries for part of the year.
http://www.fanfooty.com.au/players/profile.php?firstname=Kieren&surname=Jack

I disagree totally about McVeigh. His skills have been terrible. He still gets the ball but has zero impact on the game...unlike previous years.
If he wasn't captain he would not be best 22 and wouldn't be getting picked every week. If Mitchell is right it would be a crying shame for Lloyd or Cunningham to miss out when they have been much better than McVeigh all year.

1. Mitchel throws the ball, saw at least 3 clear throws.
2. Midfeild had a night off, need to switch on for the rest of the season.
3. Towers did OK
3a I don't like the loss, but it's not panic stations..

1. Mitchel throws the ball, saw at least 3 clear throws.
2. Midfeild had a night off, need to switch on for the rest of the season.
3. Towers did OK
3a I don't like the loss, but it's not panic stations..

There was one he just tossed about 20 metres to avoid a tackle

1. Dirty night, mids didn't turn up, move on
2. Gary Rohan well done
3. Tom Mitchell, time to play him?
4. Towers, let's persist with him

Goodes. What do? Has now turned into a cameo player. Can we afford him those 5 minute cameos? The thing that counter balances the whole thing is he input of goals. But defensively he is as good as a leyland76 turning circle.

A lot of criticism of Goodes on here yet he kicked 4 goals and was our main goal kicker for the night. When Plugger played he couldn't chase down his shadow and turned like the Queen Mary yet no-one criticised him when he kicked a bag of 4. Seriously, here's a superb player in his twilight years still contributing a bag against a top side. His ability to pop up and bag a handful of goals at critical times has kept us in a few this year. What was needed was more pressure around the 50 from our mids. We shouldn't need Goodes to be competing in the air, crumbing at ground level and then doing all the chasing. Besides, kicking straight is the best way to ensure the ball can't be moved out of our attack (except by the umpire when he resets for the centre bounce). Compare Goode's 4.0 with Buddy's 3.5. That's 5 times he's given the Hawks a free kick from defence for the paltry return of only 5 points.

*Note: It was a Leyland P76 you're thinking of.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back