Traded #30: Patrick Ryder - Returns to the club as Indigenous Player Development Manager

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to see Ryder is shopping himself around to several clubs. Would be an even worse situation if Essendon had to try and make a deal with only one club. At least with a few clubs, it gives the Bombers some negotiating power. I commend Ryder for that.

How admirable...

Ryder could be an ambassador in Sydney or Brisbane - It's not beyond the realms of possibility.
Doesn't that exception only apply to non-AFL players (e.g. Hunt)?

Otherwise wouldn't that just allow clubs a new way around the cap, similar to the 3rd party deals?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you saying that just because both players lead up the ground?

I don't think it's an issue; in fact it'd be a weapon to have.
From what I've seen they both play their best footy deep as contested marking key forwards. Tomlinson is the bloke that does the majority of the up the ground work for GWS

From what I've seen they both play their best footy deep as contested marking key forwards. Tomlinson is the bloke that does the majority of the up the ground work for GWS
Oh fair enough.

I've only seen Patton play 4 or 5 times, but I've been impressed with his mobility and leading patterns up around the 40-60m area of the ground.

Oh fair enough.

I've only seen Patton play 4 or 5 times, but I've been impressed with his mobility and leading patterns up around the 40-60m area of the ground.

That's my impression of him as well.

Doesn't that exception only apply to non-AFL players (e.g. Hunt)?

Otherwise wouldn't that just allow clubs a new way around the cap, similar to the 3rd party deals?

It exists for anyone but just proves how the current cap is just another discretionary tool the commission has to continue to do as it pleases.

Franklin had the opportunity to earn $$ as an AFL multicultural ambassador while remaining at Hawthorn.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/buddy-must-earn-pay-as-ambassador-20130720-2qbat.html
(assume the offer was tiny compared to Sydney's 9 year deal)

The AFL has loop holes everywhere, the key is to get the commission to approve them. (78 deals in 2013)
e.g.; Visy was allowed to pay Judd 200-250K for doing nothing much
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/how-the-judd-deal-works-20130225-2f26z.html

but EFC was not allowed to pay Hird and Lloyd ~$50K for writing a weekly column on the EFC website.
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/04/01/1048962756991.html
(AFL hated the idea of anything www.essendonfc.com.au related because EFC didn't sign on with the Telstra deal)

I do not know the final outcome with the Goddard "TOLL" 3rd party deal, but I (and my St.Kilda friends) assume something was agreed upon.

tomlinson or WHE would be excellent for us.
Though Boyd is tempting as the stay at home forward while JD roams.

Oh fair enough.

Patton pre the second reco...absoloutely.

Patton post the second reco.....massive unknown. Will his knees hold up and will he retain his athleticism? Surely there's a chance that his mobility goes and he plays an Alistair Lynch type role from the square....and he might be effective in that role but wouldn't be the player he looked like becoming.

Far too much risk to make him part of the Ryder trade IMO.

This is from a port supporter I know after I said Ryder would be in there top 10 players

Boak Gray wingers Westhoff monfries Trengove Schultz Trengove Hartlett Ebert. Not quite
Top 10

Also trying to offer us butcher and a third round pick lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He'd be more valuable than those bolded. 50/50 on Trengove

Patton pre the second reco...absoloutely.

Patton post the second reco.....massive unknown. Will his knees hold up and will he retain his athleticism? Surely there's a chance that his mobility goes and he plays an Alistair Lynch type role from the square....and he might be effective in that role but wouldn't be the player he looked like becoming.

Far too much risk to make him part of the Ryder trade IMO.

Depends what else they threw in

Is it playing hardball? I call it as "Essendon prefer not to get bent over"...

Having said that, I see us taking a pick in the 20s... and being royally screwed (again). Brisbane won't part with pick 4. Port won't give up Wines. I cannot see a scenario where we get what he is worth.
then doesn't he have to stay?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back