Traded #30: Patrick Ryder - Returns to the club as Indigenous Player Development Manager

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 19, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Surely being surrounded by your mates and being in it as a group supporting each other through the bullshit outweighs going it alone in a state where the media will still partly focus on the saga.

With Caro (so take it with a grain of salt) saying that he wants to go to a team in finals contention, it makes me question his motives of moving to Adelaide and choosing Port.

Of course that's if he leaves, which I think is still in question. We'll know for sure when he sits down with the club again next Monday.
Fair enough, I think there's something to be said for avoiding it entirely (as much as you can) over the siege mentality though. Re finals, it's understandable that he'd rather go to a team with a better chance of success. The choice isn't going to be weighted 100% towards avoiding ASADA bullshit, there are always going to be other factors. Doesn't mean we have to like it - it's a lot easier to sympathise for us as supporters when the decision looks like being 100% for the welfare of him and his family, but just because that's the main focus it doesn't mean there can't be other considerations.

rines

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Sep 28, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
We hold all the cards here.. thus meaning that it can be a 'win-win' deal for everyone. No often do you actually get a chance at those.

Paddy is awesome and very important to our team.. but IF TBell can get back to 2013 levels (without the ankle injury) and we can add a 'top 30' level midfielder and a top 10 draft pick to our list.. we may come out ahead.

We have known for a couple of years that TBell and Ryder can't fit in the same team.. with both men preferring to be a solo ruck..

With the right trade I can see our team actually getting stronger from this.

I have no doubt that we need a pacy small forward/winger type.. wouldn't mind Wingard.. and Ryder is worth Wingard if PA are serious.

Fin ice Smuggler

Cancelled
Nov 13, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Not for me.

Should be us playing in the pre lim final cause i had no doubt we would of beaten Geelong missing on that opportunity will be burning in the boys guts.

Bah we didn't deserve to be there we lost to saints and dees....

no if Paddy goes I dont mind as long as we're fairly compensated, something that can bolster forward and midfield, and the fact lions, port and probably Swans are in the hunt should increase trade value...unless essendon trades him to club of choice to avoid him making a deal with ASADA

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon

no if Paddy goes I dont mind as long as we're fairly compensated, something that can bolster forward and midfield, and the fact lions, port and probably Swans are in the hunt should increase trade value...unless essendon trades him to club of choice to avoid him making a deal with ASADA

Doesn't matter imo it's how you turn up on the day.Bomber was wrapt that team was playing finals cause he knew they would of did some damage which made him bitterly disappointed.

BomberManU

All Australian
May 8, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
ASADA

...and Richmond, Kangaroos, and couldn't beat Carlton. Lot of work to do, just to stay in the eight. Losing Ryder only makes that job harder. Can't see us picking up a ready made star, and losing him having little effect on the team.
The fact that he wants to leave is very disappointing.

Sep 28, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
I'm still fairly confident Paddy hasn't made up his mind yet. Not to say he will choose to stay, but he certainly hasn't ruled it out.

70/30 chance to stay in my books.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 28, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
A question if Ryder chooses Port, if he wants to leave (which I think he will stay at Essendon as Connors is the lowest of low as a player manager in the AFL) what would Essendon want from us for him? Pur 1st rounder would be on the table that's a given,but you won't get any of our core group which is the starting 22 from Saturday night, plus a few more.Our recruiters won't risk upsetting any of our leaders for a trade, or would a Shaun Burgoyne deal we got with picks, and few swaps of picks suffice? I don't agree with Connors playing this game with Paddy as obviously he leaked the story out.And also good luck with Friday lads as you fans don't deserve to go through anymore of this nonsense, let alone the players as well.
"We'll take the elite ruckman but you can't have anyone, including the bottom six players from our 22."

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Need one of these when Ryder leaves.

neuralizer_large.jpg

"We'll take the elite ruckman but you can't have anyone, including the bottom six players from our 22."
Yeah that post is a shocker.

Sorry to repeat others here, but if you're chasing a player that's in the top 6 best players at their current club, and he's contracted for a further two years, you're gonna have to cough up more than a player in the 26-30 range of the pecking order.

It has to be a player within the top 10, or a very high draft pick and a player in the top 10-15.

Check our trade history, that's what you'll be dealing with dealing with Port Adelaide, we won't split the group up

Then no Ryder for you!

tumblr_mvfx84exfL1rcaovvo1_500.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back