Traded #30: Patrick Ryder - Returns to the club as Indigenous Player Development Manager

Remove this Banner Ad

Xavier?

As for him speaking to other clubs, I'm not too concerned.

He's clearly considering it, but a lot of players have over the years.

Brown (to Collingwood), Martin (to QLD), O'Keefe (to VIC) and plenty of others have all genuinely entertained the thought of going to other clubs, and in the end weighed it up and decided that their existing club and mates are worth more than a little bit more money (also keep in mind that he will get offered more to stay with us, now).

One big difference - They were all uncontracted players.

We just to have to accept a Top 10 pick. Getting an established player on top of this is delusional - We bitch that ryder is contracted but yet we want an established contracted player as a trade - Unless there is a contracted player who is desperate to leave his club,there will no player exchange.

We just to have to accept a Top 10 pick. Getting an established player on top of this is delusional - We bitch that ryder is contracted but yet we want an established contracted player as a trade - Unless there is a contracted player who is desperate to leave his club,there will no player exchange.

A top 10 pick+a decent player (no superstar) will do me.

Anything less than a top 10 pick + a good prospect/established player is highway robbery, imo.

So if we're not getting an established player, then a good prospect should be involved.

IN other words...
42296.jpg
Thankyou, Jason.

I do agree with Eddie on one point.. the AFL probably needs to make a ruling on this. Dare I say it, but IF they are entertaining this 'clause' being used in this manner (ie for something that happened over two years ago) then it begs some very serious questions about exactly what a contract is worth.

For example are all St Kilda players 'free' to 'activate (lol LU)' the clause because they don't like setting dwarves on fire? Or Richmond players because they don't like being linked to bikie gangs?

Also, IF a player of Ryders calibre was to 'walk' for free into another club.. then how is that fair for the other 16 clubs? IF the AFL are going to allow this nonsense then it does become important that ALL clubs start to poach our players.. lest they should be left behind.

The can of worms will only get worse the longer this drags out. The best thing would be for the AFL to quietly let slip to 'certain' people that they doubt that any grievance process would be successful and suddenly this becomes a simple "player wants out, what trades can be done" scenario.

Dare I say it but Gil pretty much hinted at this during a radio interview last week.. so probably just needs to make it a bit clearer.

Oh and Wingard is good.. but I would take 'two' Paddy's every single time! Quality mobile ruckmen who can play back or forward with equal ease, can play tap style and hold ground and with huge endurance and 'ready to go' are not made on trees.. in fact they are hot property as this current shitstorm is proving!

For example if I were Essendon, I'd be asking for one of:

- Harlett
- Trengove
- Wines
- Gray

or:

- Top 10 pick + one of Broadbent, Westhoff, Neade, Pittard, Lobbe, Moore

1) you are discussing contracted players in which we are bitching about Ryder 2) How do you convince a player to come to essendon if they are happy with their current club.

Take a top 10 pick or Ryder stays.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anything less than a top 10 pick + a good prospect/established player is highway robbery, imo.

So if we're not getting an established player, then a good prospect should be involved.

You are still asking for a contracted player who is happy with his club to move clubs - it's easier said then done.

If he wasn't thinking of going why would he go along to be wined and dined?

It wont surprise me if he's not around next season.

It will sadden me however.
To be fair I had a rival company head hunt me and I flew to Sydney for the free trip. I was never going

Will we get a 1st rounder or cave in?

Why would we cave in? If no one matches our valuation, we tell them all to * off and tell Paddy when pre-season day 1 is, where he can train with the new recruits and earn respect back.

1) you are discussing contracted players in which we are bitching about Ryder 2) How do you convince a player to come to essendon if they are happy with their current club.

Take a top 10 pick or Ryder stays.

That's Port Adelaide's problem, not ours.

Would love for Paddy to give Brisbane lip service,have a feed at the BBQ and then tell them that's he's staying at Essendon.

Meh, we're 12 million in debt. A few T-bones and sausages isn't going to make a difference.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back