30 Prospects to watch for 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

From what I have heard Reece Piper (Dandenong Stingrays) has gone at around 90-95% disposal eff the last couple of practice matches playing in the backline. Played around a half both times as they were still working out the final squad, but was still getting 15+ touches. Been playing down in defence as a running half back to utilise his pin point passing. Does a bit of the kicking in as well, hit a 65-70m pass which impressed a few.

keep an eye on him!

From what I have heard Reece Piper (Dandenong Stingrays) has gone at around 90-95% disposal eff the last couple of practice matches playing in the backline. Played around a half both times as they were still working out the final squad, but was still getting 15+ touches. Been playing down in defence as a running half back to utilise his pin point passing. Does a bit of the kicking in as well, hit a 65-70m pass which impressed a few.

keep an eye on him!
I've already got him in my list. Had that horrific spinal injury when he colided with the fence.

Agreed I just like seton more because I think his ceiling is an indigenous Judd with good foot skills. Not sold on martins contested ability yet

Martin is a very contested player. Moreso than Sam. He just doesn't look it cos he's so slight but most of his injuries are a result of him going too hard.

Agreed I just like seton more because I think his ceiling is an indigenous Judd with good foot skills. Not sold on martins contested ability yet
I think he has a celing of a Poor mans Andrew McLeod. His floor is Jack Martin (current version).

Martin is a very contested player. Moreso than Sam. He just doesn't look it cos he's so slight but most of his injuries are a result of him going too hard.
Martin is more courageous but I feel that Sam has a better base for contested work due to his more natural stockiness it's all moot point now but it's just what I reckon will happen down the track

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Martin is more courageous but I feel that Sam has a better base for contested work due to his more natural stockiness it's all moot point now but it's just what I reckon will happen down the track

Is he stocky? Doesn't look it to me. I see your point though. Will be interesting to see if he gets past his current height of 180cm as opposed to Martin at 187cm. I'd still take Martin but that's saying a lot. I rate Petrevski Seton extremely highly.

Is he stocky? Doesn't look it to me. I see your point though. Will be interesting to see if he gets past his current height of 180cm as opposed to Martin at 187cm. I'd still take Martin but that's saying a lot. I rate Petrevski Seton extremely highly.
Martin needs to lift this year and start to show signs of fulfilling his potential. Has had 3 years in the system now(2 years in which he was actually on the official list and able to play games in the AFL). Entering his 4th year he needs to get the job done.

Martin needs to lift this year and start to show signs of fulfilling his potential. Has had 3 years in the system now(2 years in which he was actually on the official list and able to play games in the AFL). Entering his 4th year he needs to get the job done.
I agree but injuries have held him back.-

TAC Cup Preview #1: Bendigo Pioneers

Overview: As a whole I think this list is the most talented it has been for years. Defensively they are a lot more solid with a good mix of rebounding and lockdown types which will allow them to become more solid down back. There midfield is very strong this year with a lot of outside runners to complement there inside beasts which command their midfield. The thing that is the most impressive this this year is the way they have improved their forward group. They are going to have some real firepower up forward which will be a change for the Pio’s.

Star Power: The star for this year's Pioneers is Kobe Mutch who is an AIS boys who has a lot of runs on the board. He played for NSW/ACT as a wingman who has elite kicking on both sides of his body. Will be looking to impress for Bendigo as he becomes more adept on the inside of a contest. The other player who has starred is Joseph Atley who is a big bodied midfielder that wins the clearances and lays giant tackles. He came third in the Pioneers best and fairest last year and was named in the initial Vic Country squad. Key Position Utility Braidon Blake and Medium Defender Cooper Jones are the other two I think can really make an impact next year.

Ones to watch: Kayle Kirby is an excitement machine from Swan Hill who I think can really make an impact next year. Kayle in 2014 was apart of the u16 Bendigo Pioneers and Kirby last year had lots of injuries in the preseason hampering him. Last year he kicked a staggering 47 goals in the CMFL and came fifth in the goalkicking for the league. Jonty Neaves has also impressed early in the preseason. He has moved down from the Coffs Harbour in NSW to play football for the Bendigo Pioneers. He was one of the best players in the trial game for Bendigo kicking four goals at centre half forward. He will be one of the key targets for the Pioneers this year.

Young Guns: This year the Pioneers have a surprisingly good crop of youngsters in Lochie O’Brien, Kane Farrell and Jarrod Brander. O’Brien is a versatile player who has ability to play as a rebounding defender, a strong inside midfielder or as a goalkicking half forward. Kane Farrell is an elite kicking half back flanker who has an ability to play as a wingman. Farrell played as a quarterback for u16 Vic Country because of his elite disposal. Brander is a tall forward who was one of the best tall forwards in the APS competition, leading there goalkicking. Brander represented NSW/ACT last year in the u16 Championships.

Last edited:
TAC Cup Preview #1: Bendigo Pioneers

Overview: As a whole I think this list is the most talented it has been for years. Defensively they are a lot more solid with a good mix of rebounding and lockdown types which will allow them to become more solid down back. There midfield is very strong this year with a lot of outside runners to complement there inside beasts which command their midfield. The thing that is the most impressive this this year is the way they have improved their forward group. They are going to have some real firepower up forward which will be a change for the Pio’s.

Star Power: The star for this year's Pioneers is Kobe Mutch who is an AIS boys who has a lot of runs on the board. He played for NSW/ACT as a wingman who has elite kicking on both sides of his body. Will be looking to impress for Bendigo as he becomes more adept on the inside of a contest. The other player who has starred is Joseph Atley who is a big bodied midfielder that wins the clearances and lays giant tackles. He came third in the Pioneers best and fairest last year and was named in the initial Vic Country squad. Key Position Utility Braidon Blake and Medium Defender Cooper Jones are the other two I think can really make an impact next year.

Ones to watch: Kayle Kirby is an excitement machine from Swan Hill who I think can really make an impact next year. Kayle in 2014 was apart of the u16 Bendigo Pioneers and Kirby last year had lots of injuries in the preseason hampering him. Last year he kicked a staggering 47 goals in the CMFL and came fifth in the goalkicking for the league. Jonty Neaves has also impressed early in the preseason. He has moved down from the Coffs Harbour in NSW to play football for the Bendigo Pioneers. He was one of the best players in the trial game for Bendigo kicking four goals at centre half forward. He will be one of the key targets for the Pioneers this year.

Young Guns: This year the Pioneers have a surprisingly good crop of youngsters in Lochie O’Brien, Kane Farrell and Jarrod Brander. O’Brien is a versatile player who has ability to play as a rebounding defender, a strong inside midfielder or as a goalkicking half forward. Kane Farrell is an elite kicking half back flanker who has an ability to play as a wingman. Farrell played as a quarterback for u16 Vic Country because of his elite disposal. Brander is a tall forward who was one of the best tall forwards in the APS competition, leading there goalkicking. Brander represented NSW/ACT last year in the u16 Championships.
Small question - how can Mutch play Bendigo TAC and also be in the GWS academy and play for NSW - the old boarding school thing again ?

General and fairly irrelevant question, but if Joseph Atley is the younger brother of Shaun how come he plays for a different TAC side? Have the zones changed or did he move away for school or something?

General and fairly irrelevant question, but if Joseph Atley is the younger brother of Shaun how come he plays for a different TAC side? Have the zones changed or did he move away for school or something?
He's moved I'm pretty sure.

Hey Grundog,

love your work and keen to see you're up and running so early in the season. Genuine star!

Just a few quick questions with the Dons likely to be at the pointy end of the draft come November.

1) Who are some player comparisons for Petrevski-Seton and Ainsworth, and why would you make those comparisons?

2) If you had picks #1 and #2 right now, who would you take and why?

3) How high do you see Ezekiel Frank going?

Thanks in advance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back