Player Watch #30: Reece Conca

Remove this Banner Ad

I have always had issues with him. My biggest concern is the lack of awareness.
Until last year he didn't lay a lot of tackles, the defensive side of his game was so so imo. He has to do better in the following if he is to become a good mid.
1/ Find more of the ball and make better decisions when he gets it.
2/ Run both ways, and keep up the tackles.
3/ Win more clearances he just doesnt get many.
4/ Significantly increase his contested ball ratio. For a so called inside mid he doesnt win a lot of ball.
5/ Somehow improve his awareness its something that can't be taught imo, you either have it or dont.

I think he will be an okay player, like some others i would like to see him play with the ball in front of him of hb.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tim Clarke commented on his slow decision making at times at VFL level. Well thats going to really work for him even better this week.
Maybe he was overthinking because he had too much time on the ball, this week he will go by instinct. He will be fine. He is a very good player when fit.

He's back. Time to elbow some campaigners.
its a paradox when political advisors go into campaign mode, because they are campaigners, yet invariably they would be c a m p a i g n e r s (sans Chief, he of unmatched wisdom's swear filter). its not a paradox, its a neoplasm, it is only when it must pass thru Chief, he of unmatched wisdom;s wear filter

I have always had issues with him. My biggest concern is the lack of awareness.
Until last year he didn't lay a lot of tackles, the defensive side of his game was so so imo. He has to do better in the following if he is to become a good mid.
1/ Find more of the ball and make better decisions when he gets it.
2/ Run both ways, and keep up the tackles.
3/ Win more clearances he just doesnt get many.
4/ Significantly increase his contested ball ratio. For a so called inside mid he doesnt win a lot of ball.
5/ Somehow improve his awareness its something that can't be taught imo, you either have it or dont.

I think he will be an okay player, like some others i would like to see him play with the ball in front of him of hb.

Agree that there are a number of areas he needs to work on but I think most of these will work themselves out with a good run of games, especially now with the side playing the way they are. Have to disagree with you regarding the tackles. Of all the players getting a run through the midfield, he comes into the side with only Miles and Cotch (only slightly more) having better tackle numbers.

Ok my ranga fatty, its conca time. Dont let me down! We need your tackle pressure and your natural footy talent. Just dont get complacent fatty, hope this injury has taught you that your career is at the cross roads and you are not a judd. You need to work your ass off. Win or lose Fatty, ill support you but if you go back to cruise mode again, ill be the first to call Light and Easy!

Bit early IMHO. But then the club has a much better understanding. If he gets back to his best then we are a much better team. But, I reckon he might have a slow burn back to AFL level. Hope I'm wrong and he rips it up. At his best he gets possessions inside and out, lots of 1%s, defensive pressure and kicks goals. We could use all of that.

Bit early IMHO. But then the club has a much better understanding. If he gets back to his best then we are a much better team. But, I reckon he might have a slow burn back to AFL level. Hope I'm wrong and he rips it up. At his best he gets possessions inside and out, lots of 1%s, defensive pressure and kicks goals. We could use all of that.

I would plonk him at half forward and tell him to go mental with his pressure on the ball when it comes in. Get in there defenders ears and scrag the s**t out of them. The dream would be Gibbo smacks him in the guts and then has to play the rest of the game knowing he is going to get suspended.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back