Height: 185cm

Weight: 78kg

D.O.B: 12/08/1992

Debut: 2011 Round 1, Carlton V Richmond

2011 Games: 17

2012 Games: 18

Career Games: 35

Bio...
Impressively skilled player from WA, with a strong body and a great ability to win the contested ball. His ability to run and carry and his football smarts were prominent in representing WA at the Under-18 Championships this year. Averaged 18 disposals at 79 per cent efficiency. Showed amazing skills at Combine, proving himself a player to watch for.
Coaches View...
Reece Conca
He's in our rehab group at the moment, coming off ankle surgery, but we obviously see him as fitting into the midfield. We're expecting to use him as an outside mid. He's a promising young player who should play early.

In his own words...
A confident player who works hard on and off the football field. A real team-oriented and leadership figure who enjoys all aspects of football and strives for success.

[youtube]3tyWCJMHQ2s[/youtube]

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...conca-out-of-bag/story-e6frf9jf-1225955697335

RICHMOND may have accidentally revealed its draft hand with a profile of young WA gun Reece Conca appearing briefly today on the Tigers' website.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...conca-out-of-bag/story-e6frf9jf-1225955697335

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/105891/default.aspx

“Reece is a fantastic kid,” Leys said.

“He’s got wonderful leadership qualities . . . he’s a natural leader. He slipped into our senior side, and in his second game he had 29 possessions against the top team Claremont.

“I spoke to Richard Taylor (Richmond recruiting officer) when he was over here throughout the year, and he asked me what sort of kid he is. I said, ‘if you want a kid who’s got perfect character, has had a great upbringing, and is a wonderful citizen, that’s Reece Conca’.

“He’s got a fantastic family, who have a restaurant just around the corner from Lathlain Oval (Perth’s home ground). So, any time Richmond supporters are in town, they have to come down to Perth, and they also have to eat at Conca’s Restaurant.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/105891/default.aspx

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/wafl/7312948/genes-are-kind-to-top-junior-prospect-conca/

Genes play a huge part in an athlete's chances of success. Gary Ablett has benefitted from the genes passed on to him by a brilliant father and players regularly tell stories about their parents having good sporting careers as youngsters.

But for Perth midfielder Reece Conca, much of his success can be attributed to the gene that he avoided rather than the one that his parents passed on.

Conca is the exception in his family. His dad Loui, mum Gina, elder brother Luke and twin sister Cassie are all between 160-170cm tall. Yet Reece towers above them at 182cm.
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/wafl/7312948/genes-are-kind-to-top-junior-prospect-conca/

Guess I'll do a quick report on his first games.

I watched the game from the T.V so I wasn't able to see the work he did off the ball or exactly how much game time he had. Though from what I saw of him was very promising. Around stoppages it seemed as though he was the one directing players, always talking. He seemed very defensive minded too, didn't give his opponent an inch of space and his tackling seemed quite good.

Didn't have a ton of the pill, though no one really did. IMO his kicking was very nice, took his time and didn't boot the ball the first second he got hands on it.

Very exciting prospect and will be eager to see him play a full 4qtr game. Smokie for Rising star too. :p

Guess I'll do a quick report on his first games.

I watched the game from the T.V so I wasn't able to see the work he did off the ball or exactly how much game time he had. Though from what I saw of him was very promising. Around stoppages it seemed as though he was the one directing players, always talking. He seemed very defensive minded too, didn't give his opponent an inch of space and his tackling seemed quite good.

Didn't have a ton of the pill, though no one really did. IMO his kicking was very nice, took his time and didn't boot the ball the first second he got hands on it.

Very exciting prospect and will be eager to see him play a full 4qtr game. Smokie for Rising star too. :p
I was at the game, he tried really hard, you could see he was a bit overwhelmed at times, firstly when his opponent ran forward on him and had a shot on goal, he was clearly upset with himself. The other incident wasn't shown on the coverage, he took the final kick in against collingwood and kicked it straight to a collingwood player, all understandable as a kid in that atmosphere.

I was at the game, he tried really hard, you could see he was a bit overwhelmed at times, firstly when his opponent ran forward on him and had a shot on goal, he was clearly upset with himself. The other incident wasn't shown on the coverage, he took the final kick in against collingwood and kicked it straight to a collingwood player, all understandable as a kid in that atmosphere.

One of the big wraps on him pre-draft was his mentality (good interview, pyschological testing etc.) I'm sure he'll get to grips with the atmosphere sooner rather than later.

I don't know the kid, but he strikes me as someone who sets himself high standards. He'll probably be upset with himself every time he thinks his performance doesn't match up.

Now that we have a Youtube channel, viewing videos will be much easier for all you international tigers.

Reece Conca talks about the NAB Cup

[YOUTUBE]p17kl_kmf-g[/YOUTUBE]

Speaks very well in front of the media.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

handles the ball nice and clean, i reckon he has the tools to be a very good player, just needs to develop at a steady rate ...he's coming in at a good time with a quality nucleus of mids at the club

Yeah, won't be tagged like all of Lids, Cotch and Martin have been over the years when entering the system. Was good last night.

As with lids, cotch & martin he seems to have that steadyness and self assured under pressure skills. That's just what you want to see from your mids especially when delivering into the forward line.

Just watched the Praccy match against Port.

Although he didn't get much of the pill, his disposals were quality. Around 16 min mark of the first quarter we were struggling to get the ball outside of their 50, a lot of messy handballs and hurried kicks. Though all it took was one beautifully weighted handball by Conca to release a player into the corridor, Conca then continued to press along down the wing gaining possession of the ball again and instead of just booting it as far as possible, he weighed up his options, ran through about 4 Port players and hit Big Vicks on the chest for an easy set shot for goal.

Also, the player who handballed to him when on the wing (Grigg I think it was) had multiple options available yet chose to wait until Conca was in a better position to take the ball, either i'm reading into too much or Dimma and the players rate Conca's decision making as one of the best in the club.

Reminds me of Simon Black, able to find a target and set up play out of nowhere.

The play that stood out to me the most from the Port replay was when martin booted the ball across the backline to Conca on the half back flank, who then picked the ball up and ran up the wing near the centre square with Houli running alongside, and rather then trying to rush the play by trying to sprint around the nearest port opponent (or bombing it long forward) he instead slowed his running speed and waited until Houli ran far enough in front of him, he then drew his midfield opponent and did a long hand pass over to Houli who then had plenty of space and time to hit Miller on the tit for a set shot and goal.

Some great composure and footy smarts there :thumbsu:

From what I saw of the Hawks game, he had the most of the pill out of his games so far, though his disposal wasn't as great as previous games but you can't expect much from a kid of 0 AFL game experience. Seemed quite good off the HB, again never really looked flustered or rushed, even stopped Buddy from going for a repeat of his goal of the year. I expect he'll be rested this week to be ready to take on the Blues for r1. Hopefully with him n Batch off the HB that means Lids should get more midfield time.

Just some SC scores from the 3 pre-season games.

1. 75
2. 92
3. 31

Not too sure what happened in the Adelaide game, maybe he was subbed off or he just had an off day, though never the less still pretty nice scores for a first year with a some-what interrupted pre-season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back