30. Reece Conca

Remove this Banner Ad

[YOUTUBE]1CczUJx-iKQ&feature=feedu[/YOUTUBE]

Gym looks great.

Coca's debut game was pretty good from what I saw, did shank a couple but also got involved and took the game on.

Great game against the Pies, his best so far.

Was given a run in the middle and gathered 23 disposals. Has a pretty strong core for a kid his size and makes the right choice more often than not when in possession.

Hopefully he gets more time in the middle and he'll show more signs of why we took him at 6.

Another 20+ possy game when given a run in the middle.

Very happy with how he's tracking, just knows how to get the ball and where to put it. Won't be long before he has a rising star game.

Another quality game or the youngster, since moving to the middle he's averaged over 20 touches a game and boy does he make them go to use. Such a smooth mover and great decision maker with ball in hand. Won't be long before he kicks a couple goals and gets the rising star nom.

In some instances I see him and think he needs to be more confident in himself (had the opportunity to shoot at goal on his left in the 1st quarter and instead looked for an option that wasn't there and muffed it) and then in the next instance I see him take total control of a situation like he is playing his 200th game (4th quarter, basically told Batch to leave the ball alone on defensive 50 because he was the best option to sweep it up and deliver effectively).
I think in time, we will start seeing more of the 2nd example. I love the way he sweeps the ball up off the carpet in traffic.

Yea saw that with Batch, if it had been two other players they would've likely clashed heads and knocked themselves out. Loving these new guys, so much poise and natural footballing ability.

In some instances I see him and think he needs to be more confident in himself (had the opportunity to shoot at goal on his left in the 1st quarter and instead looked for an option that wasn't there and muffed it) and then in the next instance I see him take total control of a situation like he is playing his 200th game (4th quarter, basically told Batch to leave the ball alone on defensive 50 because he was the best option to sweep it up and deliver effectively).
I think in time, we will start seeing more of the 2nd example. I love the way he sweeps the ball up off the carpet in traffic.

I noticed the first quarter incident and another occurrence when he kicked across ground from MCC Members side to AFL members. Kicked from the outside of his right foot and missed the target when using his left foot appeared the easier option. Really like how he is going but does he have a weakness on the left side?

Doesn't quite have the same left boot as a Lids/Cotch/Martin but I have seen him use it quite a few times and effectively might I add. Was probably more of a mistake on his part than a lack of a left boot.

when he gets confident he will back himself in more and we should see him kicking goals.

Think it was in the the first quarter when he got through two players but didn't have the confidence to back himself and tried to hand pass to Cotchin when he had two opponents on him. Once he realises he belongs he will run take a bounce and drill it inside 50.

Has an amazing ability to get out of traffic.

Also love his attack on the footy. He went in hard when a bulldogs player didn't and drew the free kick.

Think it was in the the first quarter when he got through two players but didn't have the confidence to back himself and tried to hand pass to Cotchin when he had two opponents on him. Once he realises he belongs he will run take a bounce and drill it inside 50.

Has an amazing ability to get out of traffic.

Also love his attack on the footy. He went in hard when a bulldogs player didn't and drew the free kick.

I thought the same thing and then also thought Cotchin should not have called for it either.

yeah it was a worry that he didnt even look at the goals in that situation, and it has happened before, but im sure when he gets that confidence he will slot them with ease.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has been unbelieable, definitely playing beyond his years. A great pick up by the Tigers.

Actually thought his game against the Lions was quite good. Had around 18 touches at 94% effective. A lot of releasing disposals by his hands and feet.

Did second guess a couple contests which was out of character but he's still only a kid.

I think Reece has ticked all the boxes for a really good 1st year player. I think he does need to have a couple of weeks rest though as he is looking fatigued.

I was thinking it might be good to have a week off and then a couple of weeks in the VFL to get his confidence up to take the game on / kick goals etc... however as the Burgers are not sailing all that well tbh and it might actually be counter productive - any thoughts.

Thankfully Reece was spared the trauma of experiencing first-hand the Carlton thrashing - hopefully he went fishing or somewhere without radio coverage.....his much-vaunted psychology studies may come in handy this week as he counsels other players.

Hope Conca has a huge pre season. I think if we are to imrpove we need outside mids like Reece to become big accumulators. Just watching Carlton atm and they are so good because at spreading with players like Simpson and Murphy. If Reece can become a goal kicking mid who gets it 30 times a game at high efficency then it will really fill a hole.

I have a good feeling about Conca...
Perhaps had just a 'good' first season in the AFL but wheras other 2010 draftees looked more like A graders this season, Conca strikes me as a very professional and honest footballer who will be very consistant throughout his career.

May surprise a few next year with 22 odd games at a very high level...

His form really in the season was great. He was at the right places and giving the ball off to the right places. No doubt with a pre-season and a better tank he'll continue and improve on that form.

We've got a real gem here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back